Online dating faux pas

Options

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I don’t online date but some of my friends do and the crap that they share with me makes me want to troll a dating site so hard.

This. Before they took that section down, Craigslist personal ads were a gold mine of entertainment.

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I don’t online date but some of my friends do and the crap that they share with me makes me want to troll a dating site so hard.

This. Before they took that section down, Craigslist personal ads were a gold mine of entertainment.

Try the missed connections. Always delivers the lulz. Nine times out of ten, it's someone posting about having a connection with a retail/food service employee.

"To the Tracy who works at BestBuy, I loved talking with you about third generation glib-globs. I think we really have a connection, but I was too shy to ask you out. Hope you see this!"

It's like, you held this poor worker hostage at their job--where they're supposed to listen to you and help you in the store--and you don't even have the balls to ask them out in person? You just cast a message out into the void that is craigslist and hope for the best?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    how about women stop taking selfies from up high looking down, find pictures that actually look like you. Unless you are 5' or less we will not see you from that angle, so just done
  • Haltermania
    Haltermania Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »
    Caporegiem wrote: »

Try the missed connections. Always delivers the lulz. Nine times out of ten, it's someone posting about having a connection with a retail/food service employee.

"To the Tracy who works at BestBuy, I loved talking with you about third generation glib-globs. I think we really have a connection, but I was too shy to ask you out. Hope you see this!"

It's like, you held this poor worker hostage at their job--where they're supposed to listen to you and help you in the store--and you don't even have the balls to ask them out in person? You just cast a message out into the void that is craigslist and hope for the best?

Oh so that's what that section was for, no wonder no one would respond to my dating profile I had in there. SMDH
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    how about women stop taking selfies from up high looking down, find pictures that actually look like you. Unless you are 5' or less we will not see you from that angle, so just done

I am 5'2.. about
    can I do those angles?
  • erickirb
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

I am 5'2.. about
    can I do those angles?

If you are looking for guys that are 5'9" or taller, sure! lol

I think it is fine to have one of those in your profile, but not the main pic, or all of the pics. I have a friend that does that, and she looks good on line, but not so much in person person. If I was the guy to go out with her, I would have felt lied to, which is not a good way to start.
  • boehle
    Options

I am 5'2.. about
    can I do those angles?

If you are looking for guys that are 5'9" or taller, sure! lol

I think it is fine to have one of those in your profile, but not the main pic, or all of the pics. I have a friend that does that, and she looks good on line, but not so much in person person. If I was the guy to go out with her, I would have felt lied to, which is not a good way to start.

haha
    I forgot you are a shorty too LOL

we all look the same in a horizontal angle anyways.. just close your eyes
    I look best that way anyways
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Men with Snapchat filters.
    Men with sparkly eyes or any type of filtering/photoshopping

This is some crap right here. All good for women to wear makeup to cover up the ugly, heels, lashes, nails, jewelry, tan, a hair blend of 6 different colours, have I missed anything? Like Women are almost not even a real person at that point.

But I'm not allowed Bear ears?!

giphy.gif

Brad, it's a dating site not Instagram. You should be posting what you actually look like. So all those things you stated women get to do, they are actually walking around with. Have you developed a snapchat filter that works IRL?

And since I don't date women, my comment was specific to men. However, it's not a double standard, everything I just stated, stands true for women as well.

So women don't do all those things I've stated to beautify themselves up, take pics and put them on their dating profile? Because, they don't look like that until they do all that stuff. It creates a fake look for them.

Honestly I don't really see how that goes down though?
    *scrolling through the profile*

"Haha funny profile"
    "Oh he's cute actually"
    "Cool, he has a great job!"
    "This guy seems decent.."
    "OH FFS BEAR EARS NOPE I'M OUT"

:D:D

Online dating is silly.

I think on a dating site it's important to be as authentic as you can, to not set up something false and to not waste someones time. It does so happen that being part of a woman is beauty. But a confident woman will be okay showing her true self as well. YOU have seen me without makeup so I'm sure its clear to say that my dating profile does too. Or did because I deleted them all. I don't wear fake nails, I don't wear fake lashes, I'm not tanned. So if my dyed red hair and earrings are what is drawing all the men in then y'all are easy to please. And if you want a woman sporting no makeup, natural hair, then you are free to look for that on the exact same site you by passed me.

Also I should note I am actually okay with snap chat. I think it would showcase a quirky and fun side that appeals to me. My comment was about men using beautifying apps. And yes....women too.

Makes sense Meg. When I did profiles I did very much tell the truth about everything, no shirtless selfies but I DID have a few snap filters cause I like them and if someone is doesn't enjoy my giraffe ears then they're not my people.

Well I didn't really come to this conclusion. Men are using beautifying apps for their online pictures? :D:D

Not okay.
  • boehle
    Options

This is some crap right here. All good for women to wear makeup to cover up the ugly, heels, lashes, nails, jewelry, tan, a hair blend of 6 different colours, have I missed anything? Like Women are almost not even a real person at that point.

giphy.gif

Brad, it's a dating site not Instagram. You should be posting what you actually look like. So all those things you stated women get to do, they are actually walking around with. Have you developed a snapchat filter that works IRL?

And since I don't date women, my comment was specific to men. However, it's not a double standard, everything I just stated, stands true for women as well.

So women don't do all those things I've stated to beautify themselves up, take pics and put them on their dating profile? Because, they don't look like that until they do all that stuff. It creates a fake look for them.

"Haha funny profile"
    "Oh he's cute actually"

Online dating is silly.

I think on a dating site it's important to be as authentic as you can, to not set up something false and to not waste someones time. It does so happen that being part of a woman is beauty. But a confident woman will be okay showing her true self as well. YOU have seen me without makeup so I'm sure its clear to say that my dating profile does too. Or did because I deleted them all. I don't wear fake nails, I don't wear fake lashes, I'm not tanned. So if my dyed red hair and earrings are what is drawing all the men in then y'all are easy to please. And if you want a woman sporting no makeup, natural hair, then you are free to look for that on the exact same site you by passed me.

Also I should note I am actually okay with snap chat. I think it would showcase a quirky and fun side that appeals to me. My comment was about men using beautifying apps. And yes....women too.

Makes sense Meg. When I did profiles I did very much tell the truth about everything, no shirtless selfies but I DID have a few snap filters cause I like them and if someone is doesn't enjoy my giraffe ears then they're not my people.

Well I didn't really come to this conclusion. Men are using beautifying apps for their online pictures? :D:D

Not okay.

Go put your Onesie on bradley lol
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

giphy.gif

"Haha funny profile"
    "Oh he's cute actually"

Online dating is silly.

Not okay.

Go put your Onesie on bradley lol

I did have a pic of me in my Onesie on my dating profile cause again, if you don't like Onesies, that's not going to work for me!

I can't put it on right this moment I'm at work and that would be weird.

Edit: Extra weird.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options

So you can't think of any situation in which you'd be looking down at a girl and she's looking up at you?
  • km8907
    Options
    Don't message a girl anything you wouldn't want all of her friends to see, because we show them everything and we're judging you on it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm a nice guy

If you have to say it, you probably aren't
  • erickirb
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »

So you can't think of any situation in which you'd be looking down at a girl and she's looking up at you?

maybe on top looking close to straight on, not from 8-20 inches above the top of her head looking at the top of her face. that high above her face, sure, not above the top of her head though, completely diferent angles. one looks close to straight on, the other does not
  • km8907
    Options
    I'm a nice guy

If you have to say it, you probably aren't

This.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance, widowed a few years back, who decided it was time to try out one of the sites. She made a profile with a huge list of demands and things she "absolutely will not tolerate so do not waste her time." I could not help but to think how all of those demands would attract the wrong kind of person, but she was not open to hearing my opinion (which is cool...we weren't close anyway). She wanted to attract someone who would take the time to read it all and decide she was worth the challenge to get to know, yet all she showed of her real self was how demanding and bitter she was. That's a challenge to someone who likes to control someone hard to control, not an invitation for a sweet and strong, romantic gentleman to accept.
  • erickirb
    Options

I'm shorter than that. Do i get a pass?

yes... as long as there is at least one straight on, like you profile pic!
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    hud54014 wrote: »
    I don't use online dating sites anymore, but some of my favorites were:
    • Older men looking for much younger women
    • Divulging too much personal information (like income, or AND herpes)
    • Pics with their kids
    • Recently separated men

What if this is an AND instead of an or? :flowerforyou:

How much income are we talking here? :D
  • erickirb
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »

I'm shorter than that. Do i get a pass?

yes... as long as there is at least one straight on, like you profile pic!

Dude. You're pretty damn serious about girls' picture angles aren't you?

Lol... My friend has burned dozens of guys using angles that flatter her, to the point the pics don't really look like her. I can just imagine being in their shoes when it finally comes to meeting face to face. I would not want that done to me! The easy solution, use pics that actually look like you.