My best friend is on another fad diet. I give up.

12346»

Replies

  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Mine has taken to doing the same stuff. She used to be fit and healthy but she put on weight and has been bigger for the past few years and now, it's always some new crap. Shakes, pills, teas, etc etc. I give up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    You have to be ready to do it..she's not. Also.. i don't count calories. it is wonderful that it works for you and so many people. But, i don't like counting them either. However, i've lost 30 pounds on another plan where i eat six healthy whole meals a day. i love my way of eating becasue i don't have to think about every single bite of food and i'm lsoing weight effortlessly. I basically eat a whole foods diet ...

    So, tell your friend there are other ways to lose besides CICO...but she can't cheat the fact you have to eat healthy meats, fresh vegetables and fruits, and exercise to get fit. period.

    I don't think the healthy meats and fresh fruit and vegetables are obligatory to get fit. Meat is completely optional for a fit person provided they're getting sufficient protein from other sources and fruits and vegetables are just as nutritious when they're frozen.
    i'm just trying to make an overall point that healthy eating habits ..not starving or fad diets lead to weight loss. i personaly eat meat, fruits, and tons of vegetables. and no dairy. yet.. i think people can eat dairy and be just fine..they can be vegan or vegetarian... . it is all choices.

    A calorie deficit leads to weight loss.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Kst76 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people looking at weightloss as simple as black and white.,its not.
    Yes CICO is the path to weightloss always. But its other factors involved as well. If it weren't, nobody would have issues losing weight..

    People have issues losing weight because of many factors that are usually caused by themselves (ex: weighing their food incorrectly, not tracking all the food they eat, overestimating their TDEE, etc...). If you go in countries where people are malnourished, rarely do you see an obese person who eats little amount of food, usually they are all thin and bones...or what about anorexic people, I have yet to see an obese anorexic person and this is without taking into account the 1944-45 Minnesota study (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) where everyone was skin and bones by the end of the experiment, the holocaust is another example. So losing weight is all about CICO (not to be confused with tracking your macros/calories).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,633 Member
    why worry about what any one else is doing?

    yes, i see friends do stupid diets and fad and lose and gain and gain more than they lost.

    yes, i see friends start and stop for whatever reason.

    no..... i dont care. they will either figure it out, or not. if they ask (and they ALL have) how i lost my weight (over 100 pounds) i tell them. what they do with that information is on THEM, not ME.

    i have my own problems to deal with, and worrying about what other people are doing, is not among them.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 920 Member
    edited April 2018
    fb47 wrote: »
    Kst76 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people looking at weightloss as simple as black and white.,its not.
    Yes CICO is the path to weightloss always. But its other factors involved as well. If it weren't, nobody would have issues losing weight..

    People have issues losing weight because of many factors that are usually caused by themselves (ex: weighing their food incorrectly, not tracking all the food they eat, overestimating their TDEE, etc...). If you go in countries where people are malnourished, rarely do you see an obese person who eats little amount of food, usually they are all thin and bones...or what about anorexic people, I have yet to see an obese anorexic person and this is without taking into account the 1944-45 Minnesota study (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) where everyone was skin and bones by the end of the experiment, the holocaust is another example. So losing weight is all about CICO (not to be confused with tracking your macros/calories).

    You said it yourself. Factors manufactured in your head, inability to track calories, actual diseases, medical conditions will all mess with peoples abilities to lose weight.
    Its not that easy as it seems. Why...because we are humans.....
    So that is the black and white im talking about. There is a grey zone to everything in life. . Still, please hear me out......it is cico all the way when it comes to losing weight....but not everyone can get there as easy as I can.

    Anyway, I'm probably not making any sense to you..lol.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Kst76 wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    Kst76 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people looking at weightloss as simple as black and white.,its not.
    Yes CICO is the path to weightloss always. But its other factors involved as well. If it weren't, nobody would have issues losing weight..

    People have issues losing weight because of many factors that are usually caused by themselves (ex: weighing their food incorrectly, not tracking all the food they eat, overestimating their TDEE, etc...). If you go in countries where people are malnourished, rarely do you see an obese person who eats little amount of food, usually they are all thin and bones...or what about anorexic people, I have yet to see an obese anorexic person and this is without taking into account the 1944-45 Minnesota study (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) where everyone was skin and bones by the end of the experiment, the holocaust is another example. So losing weight is all about CICO (not to be confused with tracking your macros/calories).

    You said it yourself. Factors manufactured in your head, inability to track calories, actual diseases, medical conditions will all mess with peoples abilities to lose weight.
    Its not that easy as it seems. Why...because we are humans.....
    So that is the black and white im talking about. There is a grey zone to everything in life. . Still, please hear me out......it is cico all the way when it comes to losing weight....but not everyone can get there as easy as I can.

    Anyway, I'm probably not making any sense to you..lol.

    I get what you say, but there is still CICO involved even if you don't track your food. If you're gaining weight it's because beyond all of it, you are still eating over your maintenance without realizing it which still involves CICO. Someone who trully wants to lose weight will have to find the discipline to be in a caloric deficit which basically mean anyone can lose weight if they put their emotions and their wants aside...problem is that we are human and we don't do things always logically. If the majority of the North American population is fat is because as a society we listen more to our "wants" than what we actually "need" which is why you see regulary people over consuming in almost everything, not just food.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 491 Member
    OP, I get it.... she’s your friend and you care about her! All you can do is tell her if she asks more questions and keep doing what you are doing on your goals. She’ll either get curious and ask more questions after she sees your continued success or she won’t. As long as she isn’t doing something dangerous you’ve done what you can, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,133 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    One of my friends lost 25 lbs doing the HCG diet. She eats 500 calories a day and takes diet drops that dont even have hcg in them. She gains and loses the weight. Basically she starves herself. I dont think that is healthy but she does it and looks good and her results were fast.

    I have a co-worker that did the same diet. She lost 60lbs really fast. Everyone in the office praised her determination. She gained a lot of it back and is now on to some sort of elimination diet and using only certain types of makeup and hair products (I'm confused as to how that helps with weight loss but I don't ask). Meanwhile I keep plugging along, weighing and logging and being consistent.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    It's hard enough to change my own habits. I don't concern myself with changing others.