My best friend is on another fad diet. I give up.

Replies

• Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    I agree that fad diets are usually a bad idea, people who follow them usually end up yo-yo ing and can often be harmful. In saying that not everyone wants to count calories. Using mfp has been super helpful for me and I find entering data to be useful and interesting and loads of others feel the same way, but for some people calorie counting can become obsessive.
    I think using something like Keto or IF can be good for some people if they use these diets for portion control and consume high satiating foods. Any time someone uses diets like this they are still doing CI CO, they just may not be physically tracking the calories.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I'd just like to add that I wish someone would have told me about counting calories a long time ago. I was ready to lose weight but didn't know what to do. I don't share anything about losing on fb or even my friends, when they notice & ask, I tell them
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Does she have undiagnosed thyroid problem that may be causing her confusion?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I've now read up on it. It's basically the "best" of vegan and the "best" of paleo (as determined by the creator). High in vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, high quality animal proteins, healthy fats, low glycemic fruits, moderate goat and sheep dairy, moderate real whole grains. Low in junk food and other heavily processed convenience foods. Apparently the creator (Dr. Hyman) uses the term "pagan" rather tongue in cheek. The author's previous book was about healthy fats.
    So, as I said earlier, the OP's friend seems to have found a nutritious "fad" diet. "Fad" being an odd term for nutrient dense, old fashioned diet.

It's great to focus on healthy foods, and a lot of people would do better improving their diet from a nutritional standpoint. So in that regard, eating this way is a good thing.

I have issues with the naming of this plan, as I feel veganism is about the ethics of the choice and isn't a term that should be used casually. You don't dabble in it. I don't know, I just think it's tacky to coopt the word.

Selling the plan as a weight loss thing? Well, I guess the measure of success a person achieves would depend on why the person is carrying extra body fat. Assuming that it's just because their food choices suck, they'd probably drop some weight. However, that only holds true for a certain percent of people with weight issues, and obviously, the amount of calories consumed can still be a problem no matter how nutrient dense an eating plan is.

I wouldn't call this a fad diet, though. I'd say it's superior to what the OP is eating (like a poster upthread, I took a peek at her diary back when she was still here and logging, I think she flew the coop), but calories will still matter.

As for me and my approach with people and diets? I don't talk about it unless asked. I say what I do, tell them it suits my preferences, and change the subject. My sister tried this and hated it. She needs to use other methods to regulate her weight and is still looking for the right one for her.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    It's great to focus on healthy foods, and a lot of people would do better improving their diet from a nutritional standpoint. So in that regard, eating this way is a good thing.

For the time being, yes. But what happens when she fails to lose weight as she anticipates? She'll conclude that it "doesn't work" and either switch to some other fad or give up entirely.