Not losing weight!!! So frustrated!

Options
In 2011, after having my son at age 30, I was able to lose 105 lbs in just over a year by simply eating less and moving more. I was eating somewhere between 1500-1750 calories a day with low impact exercise 45 minutes 5 times a week. In 2013 I gained back about 10 lbs and it's been a pretty steady decline in obesity since then and I had gained back all but about 30 of the pounds I had lost.

In January of 2016 I put my mind to losing the weight again but it's been a major struggle ever since. The first year (2016) I lost about 6 lbs and in 2017 another 20 lbs.

Since January of this year I have been super committed to finally getting back to a reasonably healthy weight, but despite my best efforts, the scale will NOT BUDGE!!!

I admit, my diet could use some work, but I exercise 5-6 times a week at a moderate-vigorous pace for 30ish minutes (HIIT, running, workout videos) and I stay within my daily limit of 1400, but if I do go over (rarely), it's never by more than 100-150 calories. I burn about 175-300 calories per workout depending on what I do and I try not to eat back my exercise calories.

About a month ago I bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR and started incorporating a lot more movement into my fairly sedentary lifestyle, as well as a 30 minute walk several times a week (half uphill). I'm getting somewhere in the neighbourhood of 9000 steps/day (up from ~2000). I've given up soda, which was my weakness until December 31 of last year and replaced it with sparkling water... oh, AND I have started intermittent fasting (since mid-February) between 8pm and noon.

So, why am I not seeing results? I'm stuck at 191-193 lbs and I can't do anything about it!!! I'm seriously considering having my BMR tested because this doesn't make sense to me! According to my fitness tracker, I should be burning somewhere around 600-800 calories more per day than I am consuming and yet I cannot lose a single pound BUT if I have a cheat day for just one single day, I gain weight!

WTF!?!?!

What am I doing wrong?

Help, please?

Stats:
Female
Age 37
Height 5'5"
SW: 247 lbs
CW: 193
GW: 160-165

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. Here, read this blog post by Azdak. He's been in the fitness industry for decades.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

There is no reason to believe that the online BMR calculator is correct for you and you don't even mention how you are calculating your exercise burn.

Try the food scale, then once you are sure about accuracy, try cutting calories.

How does the average person calculate their BMR if not using online calculators (I tried multiple)???

I started using the food scale today and learned that I've been overestimating the size of my banana, but underestimating the amount of cream that I put in my coffee... So, step one was to cut back on cream and I replaced my second cup with tea -- no milk. I'm looking forward to seeing where else I was off and making adjustments along the way.

I use a heart rate monitor for my exercise burn (I've tried three different ones all with similar outputs), so yeah, 250 is pretty normal for me and it's usually more like 275-300.

Because it's all an estimate based on height, weight, age & gender, there is still room for inaccuracy, you have to adjust based on real world results.

To echo what you've been told already: if you're not losing weight over an extended period of time, you're not in a deficit.