Not losing weight!!! So frustrated!

Options

Replies

• noexcuses0626
    noexcuses0626 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Also, 250 calories burned for an exercise session seems a bit high. Fitness trackers are notorious for overestimating burns, you might want to adjust your estimate down.

I use a heart rate monitor for my exercise burn (I've tried three different ones all with similar outputs), so yeah, 250 is pretty normal for me and it's usually more like 275-300.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Regarding BMR, the online calculators are averages. You start there and make adjustments based on what you see in the real world.

It often takes me a month to see my first loss when making changes, but if nothing has changed in six weeks or more, you are at maintenance. Now you know your maintenance and can make adjustments from there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @noexcuses0626 Check out this thread. It has many illustrations of why a food scale is such a powerful tool for weight loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There is no reason to believe that the online BMR calculator is correct for you and you don't even mention how you are calculating your exercise burn.

Try the food scale, then once you are sure about accuracy, try cutting calories.

How does the average person calculate their BMR if not using online calculators (I tried multiple)???

I started using the food scale today and learned that I've been overestimating the size of my banana, but underestimating the amount of cream that I put in my coffee... So, step one was to cut back on cream and I replaced my second cup with tea -- no milk. I'm looking forward to seeing where else I was off and making adjustments along the way.

Honestly, there's really no reason to nail down your BMR. What's important is how many calories you are actually burning in a real day, and no calculator can tell you that. They just give you a starting point. Use MFP, use a TDEE calculator, use a formula, doesn't matter. You figure out what your real number is by logging accurately and consistently for a couple of months and looking at your progress. If you start out thinking your TDEE is 2250 based on a calculator, so you eat 2000 cals for 8 weeks and you don't lose any appreciable weight, then you know your actual TDEE is the 2000 cals you were eating.

I found all the calculators and options so confusing, I just went with MFP's NEAT calc since I was logging here anyway and just tweaked as I went.

Congrats on the food scale, it's eye-opening!!!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way last summer. My wife and I are typically both active but both suffered injuries that kept us from our respective active pursuits for the better part of the winter of 2016 and basically hibernated and gained some weight. Got to where I could get back in the gym in January '17 and hit it hard, thought I was eating at a decent deficit and eating back my exercise calories measured with my heart rate monitor, though I barely lost any weight. Like you, I kept rechecking my math over and over but wasn't adjusting to my real-life results; taking estimated sedentary TDEE, adding exercise cals, and subtracting 500 for a deficit was leaving me with 2500-2700 calories. I did that for six months. Frustrated, I finally took a hard look at my logging and realized I wasn't being nearly as accurate as I thought, and would usually log incomplete days or not at all Friday-Sunday. My highly researched Polar H7 Heart rate monitor was also giving me 600-800 calories per workout, per my observed TDEE, I likely only burn 1/3 to 1/2 that much. I tightened all that up starting in late July; I meticulously use my food scale, and haven't missed a day of logging since last July, and eat the appropriate observed calorie level. Doing so I easily lost 10lbs August to January going from 15% to under 13.8% body fat.

TL;DR - Lock down your logging, forget your HR monitor, get/use a food scale,
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @noexcuses0626

Maybe it's time for a diet break?!? You've lost a lot of weight already. You sound worn down. You could take a break for 2, 3, 6 months (or however long) and eat at maintenance. Fit a bagel in once in awhile. When you feel rejuvenated, go back to a calorie deficit to lose the last bit.

Have you listened to the Half-Size Me podcast? She talks about diet breaks quite a bit.

There's also a popular diet break thread in here. Maybe someone will link it. I don't have it.

It's long, but the first several pages are full of information:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1