How do I get more protein?!

Options
Hi all,

First time poster here! I had a nutritionist friend run my macros recently and since then I've been tracking here on My Fitness Pal. What I've learned is while I have zero problem hitting my carb target (surprise surprise), I don't even come close to my protein. My question - what do you all do for low/no carb protein sources? I don't eat a lot of meat and I'll occasionally eat shellfish. Love eggs but probably shouldn't be eating them three times a day. Everything I've considered a protein source really just does not have as much as I'd originally thought.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Lean meat. Seriously, carbs don't really matter for weight loss, what matters is calories. Eat what you want within your calorie goal. If your macros are lacking on protein try:

Lean chicken (boneless skinless chicken breast)
    Lean turkey (any)
    Lean hamburger/beef (I stick to 93% lean hamburger to cook in things, but drop to 85-90% lean for burgers to add a little flavor)
    Venison is a very lean meat if it's available to you
    Most fish

Beyond that, if you still can't hit your goals, try a protein shake. I use protein isolates because they have less calories, more protein, and almost no lactose. But any types of whey protein will help, or pea protein if you're vegan/vegetarian.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Meat and fish are your most direct sources. You’ve already mentioned eggs. There’s tofu.

The vegetable sources of protein will also have carbs so if you are already going over, adding beans and lentils won’t help things.

You may also want to supplement with a protein powder like whey.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna/salmon, greek yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheese, tofu, beans & lentils, protein powder.

How much protein are you trying to get?
  • Knight27
    Knight27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are great, thank you! 110g
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Knight27 wrote: »
    These are great, thank you! 110g

110 should be enough, what is your goal weight? 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight is adequate
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i get incidental protein from many of the grains i eat - barley, farro, couscous - i do 145g a day
  • johnnaballen
    johnnaballen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lots of good answers on here already- so I'll add just one. I found this milk that has lots of protein and will drink a glass of it after a workout, sometimes with protein powder mixed in, sometimes just plain.

https://silk.com/products/vanilla-protein-nutmilk
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Knight27 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time poster here! I had a nutritionist friend run my macros recently and since then I've been tracking here on My Fitness Pal. What I've learned is while I have zero problem hitting my carb target (surprise surprise), I don't even come close to my protein. My question - what do you all do for low/no carb protein sources? I don't eat a lot of meat and I'll occasionally eat shellfish. Love eggs but probably shouldn't be eating them three times a day. Everything I've considered a protein source really just does not have as much as I'd originally thought.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, thank you!

I have this issue too and I just started myself. I also don’t “love” meat. I hate Greek yogurt.
    I noticed last night when I ate meatless chicken by Morningstar it had a ton of protein in it, low carbs.
    Other than that, I have nothing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Also, you can get pasta made from lentils and various other beans. A 2 - oz (dry) serving is a good source of protein.
  • MoonlitEve
    MoonlitEve Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post. I myself seem to have this same issue. I have no problem hitting my sugar and sodium intake..but my protein is still lacking. I know there is meat but more and more it seems my stomach and digestive system cannot process it as easily as before...also not surprising. I have a difficult time processing milk and am looking for more vegetarian ways to process protein. I usually make blackbean patties and for breakfast I will have maybe 1 or 2 with 2 eggs. Also considering having breakfast with the blackbean patties, eggs and throwing in a cup of organic unsweetened soymilk with that meal.

So, I'm open to more meal recommendations since I know I can't live off of blackbean patties alone.

Thanks.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also, you can get pasta made from lentils and various other beans. A 2 - oz (dry) serving is a good source of protein.

You can get potato chip style snacks made of lentils which are a useful substitute as well
  • ap1972
    Options
    MoonlitEve wrote: »
    Very interesting post. I myself seem to have this same issue. I have no problem hitting my sugar and sodium intake..but my protein is still lacking. I know there is meat but more and more it seems my stomach and digestive system cannot process it as easily as before...also not surprising. I have a difficult time processing milk and am looking for more vegetarian ways to process protein. I usually make blackbean patties and for breakfast I will have maybe 1 or 2 with 2 eggs. Also considering having breakfast with the blackbean patties, eggs and throwing in a cup of organic unsweetened soymilk with that meal.

So, I'm open to more meal recommendations since I know I can't live off of blackbean patties alone.

Thanks.

Just remember Sodium and Sugars are limits rather than targets
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »

Thanks.

Soft limits. Without a health condition requiring it neither will hurt you if you go above the goal...Within reason of course.
  • ap1972
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Thanks.

Soft limits. Without a health condition requiring it neither will hurt you if you go above the goal...Within reason of course.

Completely agree, just pointing out that they are not something that you need to strive to achieve
  • ap1972
    Options
    Lots of good answers on here already- so I'll add just one. I found this milk that has lots of protein and will drink a glass of it after a workout, sometimes with protein powder mixed in, sometimes just plain.

https://silk.com/products/vanilla-protein-nutmilk

No real extra protein than in semi skimmed milk, just 1 extra gram in 240ml serving and it's actually less protein per calorie. It is lower in carbs though if that is something you look for.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Thanks.

Completely agree, just pointing out that they are not something that you need to strive to achieve

I knew youd agree iv seen you around, Just need to remember alot of newbies come through and read posts in silent, Gotta make sure to cover our bases at times or we begin someones unnecessary focusing on entirely wrong things and making their journey difficult :p
  • stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find it very difficult to meet my daily protein goals. And I know it doesn’t help that I don’t care for dairy being lactose intolerant. And that eating that much meat in one day is just seem like too much on the days that I get kind of close.