Is it possible my body doesn't want to lose more?

Options
I know that if you eat less calories than you expend you will lose weight. This principle has worked for me. However, I was looking at my weight over the last 3 years and whether I was trying to lose weight or not trying, I have remained at roughly 150 lbs. Even now that I am trying, I can't seem to break much lower than that. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Screenshot_20180419_115325.png

Replies

• PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your diary shows weighing food which is good, but you eat higher some days and lower other days. Does these calories at the the end of the week put you in a 'weekly deficit' according to what you set up MFP to lose weight?

In any regard, if you want to lose more weight you can. Consistency with your intake and your activities/exercise (if you exercise) is all you need.

I looked at my weekly deficit for the past month and a half and I have been under, although sometimes not by a lot. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and do roughly 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weight mschines. I track my calorie expenditure using fitbit.

When I started the gym I was concerned about severely under eating, so I was eating back my exercise caloroes. Should I try to limit those calories to 25% eaten back? I don't want to undereat, but I don't know how much my fitbit could be overestimating by.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    No, it's not possible. Your body does not "want" to be at any particular weight. Your calories eaten and calories burned are simply balancing out, on average. You are in maintenance. If you want to lose weight and don't have much weight to lose, then your deficit will likely be very small and you'll have to be very precise about weighing and logging all of your food.
  • PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    No, it's not possible. Your body does not "want" to be at any particular weight. Your calories eaten and calories burned are simply balancing out, on average. You are in maintenance. If you want to lose weight and don't have much weight to lose, then your deficit will likely be very small and you'll have to be very precise about weighing and logging all of your food.

Thank you for your input! Is 25 lbs considered little to lose? Not trying to argue, but this seems like a lot still to me. Jowever, that might just be because it's my body! In the bigger picture, it might be small.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your diary shows weighing food which is good, but you eat higher some days and lower other days. Does these calories at the the end of the week put you in a 'weekly deficit' according to what you set up MFP to lose weight?

In any regard, if you want to lose more weight you can. Consistency with your intake and your activities/exercise (if you exercise) is all you need.

I looked at my weekly deficit for the past month and a half and I have been under, although sometimes not by a lot. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and do roughly 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weight mschines. I track my calorie expenditure using fitbit.

When I started the gym I was concerned about severely under eating, so I was eating back my exercise caloroes. Should I try to limit those calories to 25% eaten back? I don't want to undereat, but I don't know how much my fitbit could be overestimating by.

If you are not losing weight you have to eat less calories or expend more. If those come from the workout calories or you just drop the goal for every day down by 100 calories doesn't matter, as long as you eat less or move more. And if you move more you can't eat back those calories, then you are back at ground 0.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Thank you for your input! Is 25 lbs considered little to lose? Not trying to argue, but this seems like a lot still to me. Jowever, that might just be because it's my body! In the bigger picture, it might be small.

"A lot" is definitely relative. 25 pounds feels like a little to me because I lost 100 :) By the time I got down to the last 15-20 pounds, I really had to tighten up my logging because I didn't have as big a deficit as I once had. If you're looking to lose weight and it's not happening, then something is going on to keep you out of a deficit. You're either eating more than you think, or not burning as many calories in exercise as you think. Those last pounds were when I really had to start being meticulous with weighing my food.
  • michaelwyatt8262
    michaelwyatt8262 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your weight will always be a matter of math. Calories in vs calories out is always going to be king.