“New” Arnold Sandwich Thins = 50% increase in calories. Jerks.

I’m really annoyed, I picked up a package of Arnold Samdwich thins and noticed as I went to make my daily sandwich that their “new recipe” puts the calories up from 100 to 150.

These have been a staple of my healthy eating plan for YEARS. And now I won’t be buying any more. I went on the Arnold’s website and complained, but that won’t do anything.

Oh well, anyone got any other good bread product recommendations for 2 pieces for around 100 calories?

Dammit.

Replies

• Runstreak
    Runstreak Posts: 2 Member
    Oh, and where there used to be eight per package, there are now six. Guess that’s the end of my buying anything from Arnold’s breads. Which is a shame because with a family of 4, we buy a LOT of bread. Most of it Arnold’s.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2018
    I buy this bread sometimes: https://www.auntmillies.com/products/breads/523
    It has 100 calories for two slices and it tastes like any other bread to me!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    OMG! I saw the new packaging and almost picked one up. I used to love them because only 100 calories. Disappointing to know they changed the calories...

I understand why you are also upset about decrease in thins per container. One package used to last me a whole week, now by increasing the weight and decreasing the amount of servings per container I would have to spend more money per week.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm a fan of Nature's Own Double Fiber wheat bread. It's 100 calories for 2 slices. Also, the light Thomas' english muffins are tasty.

There are plenty of breads that are <100 calories for two slices, but sandwich thins are a lot different from bread. They are more like a bun. I really like trader joe brand whole wheat hamburger buns (110 cal) and sandwich things (100 cal).
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    If you like wraps, lavish wraps are 120 calories and very filling as a sandwich - however they are higher sodium
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Well you're still getting the same amount of ingredients, they changed the size (up) and that means more calories. You're not getting gypped.

With that said, store brand breads are about that - what about Sara Lee low cal slices? I think they're 100 for two.

150 is a very reasonable calorie amount for a serving of bread.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,774 Member
    I use Aunt Millie's wholegrain at 35 calories per slice. It think it's less because each slice is a touch thinner but you can find it at any grocery store. It toasts up a little stiff. I like it best untoasted for sandwiches.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    150 calories might not be terribly high for a bread serving, but for roughly that amount of calories, there are a lot of tastier options. I feel the OP's pain.

Walmart Wheat Bolillo rolls are 160.
    Martin's Potato Roll hamburger buns are 140.
    Small kaiser rolls with sesame seeds are 130-170 depending on the source.
    Pepperidge Farm has a yummy oatmeal bread for 80 calories a slice.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    yeah and I love dave's killer breads- wish they had a bun or sandwich thin version- but dave's has some 60 calorie per slice, and raisin bread is 90 cal per slice.- quite good
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    At 150 calories they're not really a low calorie alternative, are they? Regular sandwich bread is usually only 160 calories for two slices.
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    I thought I was the only one who got so bummed out by this change! I used these a LOT and now I won't be buying the new ones. I think instead I bought Arnold's pita pockets, it's 100 cals for a pocket (which is half a pita).
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Yeah, I was more pissed off at the packaging - as someone else stated, now there's 6 to a box instead of 8.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    There are other sandwich thin brands. Brownberry for one with 90-100 calories depending on the flavor.
    Most of the bread companies also have "light" sliced bread which is about 45 calories per slice.
    I sometimes opt for a bread I really like and have my sandwich open faced, which lessens the calories.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I am so disappointed to hear this, we really liked the sandwich thins, and I only have one more pack in the freezer. Thank you Noreenmarie1234 for the tip, I'll have to try Trader Joes options this weekend, I absolutely agree that the thins serve a different purpose (at least in my house) than regular bread does.