Looking for a diet that is low carb/healthy carb AND low fat

Options

Replies

• meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you'd enjoy more of a low *processed* carb and moderate fat diet, based on what you've said. You can just limit your grains and anything with added sugar; eat lots of plants; enjoy your leaner cuts of meat and fish, and don't worry about glopping everything with extra cream and butter. I've done the keto WOE twice and it just was not sustainable for me either, for most of the same reasons you gave. I love my fruits and a huge variety of veggies and legumes rather than just the low carb ones. And so many of the keto/low carb recipes are drenched in extra fat because that's really the premise - high fat, low carb. A lot of people really love it, which is great! However, I found my nirvana in moderate fat, moderate carbs from plants, and moderate protein. I feel my best when I eat around 30p/30f/40c with most of it from less processed stuff. So yeah, while I can lose weight on lower calories of all Pop Tarts, I'm going to feel like hell compared to the same calories of meat, veggie, fruits, etc.

Yes this exactly. I really do enjoy (like other than the low calorie part it doesn't even feel like a diet to me). I mostly eat lean chicken, grilled chicken, super low fat hamburger meat, ground turkey ect...a steam vegetable, apples, strawberries, tons of leafy greens ect...I do eat non fat greek yogurt with some vanilla protein powder mixed in. Sometimes I use that as a dip for my apples, YUM!

It does feel like this is the fit for me.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I guess my first question would be, "What do you consider 'low' when talking about low carb and low fat?"

So what I am thinking is around 40-60 grams of carbs (per day, mostly from complex grains or whole fruits) and 20 grams of fat, the rest being protein.
    try2again wrote: »
    It was around 500-800 calories and the emphasis was on vegetables, lean meats and small bits of some fruits.

If you feel great doing this, just keep the same kinds of foods, but scale the portions up to a more sustainable calorie goal.

The diet she was on was intended as a very short term measure. Unless you have some kind of credentials, this advice isn't necessarily wise.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, though. Most (none?) of us have credentials, but we're all here giving advice anyways.

Appropriate quantities of lean meats, vegetables and fruits is probably better advice than 75% of what's on MFP.

I said it wasn't "necessarily wise" and I did edit to add what previous posters have said about it being a good idea to consult a dietitian. I am still interested in her answer to your previous post about how low she thinks her carbs & fat should be. It sounds like fat has been almost non-existent in her VLCD.

I was thinking of just upping the portions. And I absolutely know what to eat when I keep it basic. I guess I was just hoping for like a specific name of a food method...like if you google keto recipes you get a ton of things you can try. I just kind of wanted a keyword name of a diet so I could find fun recipes too.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    meinco wrote: »
    I said it wasn't "necessarily wise" and I did edit to add what previous posters have said about it being a good idea to consult a dietitian. I am still interested in her answer to your previous post about how low she thinks her carbs & fat should be. It sounds like fat has been almost non-existent in her VLCD.

I was thinking of just upping the portions. And I absolutely know what to eat when I keep it basic. I guess I was just hoping for like a specific name of a food method...like if you google keto recipes you get a ton of things you can try. I just kind of wanted a keyword name of a diet so I could find fun recipes too.

I think you're really just looking for high protein meals. You might have to select/deselect meal options based on the sides and/or type of protein (fattier vs lean).
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I guess my first question would be, "What do you consider 'low' when talking about low carb and low fat?"

So what I am thinking is around 40-60 grams of carbs (per day, mostly from complex grains or whole fruits) and 20 grams of fat, the rest being protein.

And how long are you planning to do that?

That's lower in both fat AND in carbs than what most would suggest as healthy and sustainable long term. Are you including fruits and vegetables in that carb count? Or do you mean net carbs and/or processed carbs when you say 40-60g total?

I would think that simply adding a bit of dairy, legumes, and/or cooking oil to your diet would help in all aspects.

I was planning to keep with that....Why is it not healthy to both limit carbs and fat? I mean I am not cutting them out completely. I tried googling low fat/ low carb but all I get is comparisons between the two, not what both together specifically looks like. Before I lost any weight I had high cholesterol and I worry about my heart so limiting fats makes sense to me. But I also need to be careful with carbs because of insulin resistance....
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

That's lower in both fat AND in carbs than what most would suggest as healthy and sustainable long term. Are you including fruits and vegetables in that carb count? Or do you mean net carbs and/or processed carbs when you say 40-60g total?

I would think that simply adding a bit of dairy, legumes, and/or cooking oil to your diet would help in all aspects.

I was planning to keep with that....Why is it not healthy to both limit carbs and fat? I mean I am not cutting them out completely. I tried googling low fat/ low carb but all I get is comparisons between the two, not what both together specifically looks like. Before I lost any weight I had high cholesterol and I worry about my heart so limiting fats makes sense to me. But I also need to be careful with carbs because of insulin resistance....

Many times, losing the extra weight is enough to improve cholesterol/glucose numbers, without having to do anything extra. I was a pre-diabetic before I lost 50lbs and now see normal numbers consistently. What I eat doesn't affect my numbers though, it's completely tied to my weight (I have over 5 years of data that shows this). Just throwing that out there, though I still suggest connecting with a dietician to help you through this :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Why is it not healthy to both limit carbs and fat? I mean I am not cutting them out completely. I tried googling low fat/ low carb but all I get is comparisons between the two, not what both together specifically looks like. Before I lost any weight I had high cholesterol and I worry about my heart so limiting fats makes sense to me. But I also need to be careful with carbs because of insulin resistance....

I am not an expert, but our bodies primarily burn carbs & fats for energy. If you cut both to the levels you are proposing, it won't be fueling your body properly. Our bodies need healthy fats to function properly, including for heart health- it's not a case of less necessarily being better. I believe the recommendation is no less than 20% fat in a diet.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Many times, losing the extra weight is enough to improve cholesterol/glucose numbers, without having to do anything extra. I was a pre-diabetic before I lost 50lbs and now see normal numbers consistently. What I eat doesn't affect my numbers though, it's completely tied to my weight (I have over 5 years of data that shows this). Just throwing that out there, though I still suggest connecting with a dietician to help you through this :)

^ This. I slashed my cholesterol & triglycerides just by losing 40 lbs, without any huge dietary changes or cutting out food groups/macros.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    loe_loe23 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

Forget "diets". You can eat whatever you want and if you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. It all comes down to calories.

Personally, I don't think it's okay to 'eat whatever you want' even in a calorie deficit. You can still eat food that won't help you. Eating 100 calories or oreos is way worse than 100 calories of vegetables.

But the point is not to eat perfectly 100% of the time. The point is to LEARN how to manage calorie intake while improving your overall diet.

I can eat dark chocolate and lose weight OR I can eat chocolate chip cookies and lose weight. The point being I can't have chocolate and cookies and ice cream all in the same day or I will miss out on important nutrients.

The key to moderation also includes a sustainable deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I have cholesterol issues too (in fact, I have familial hypercholesterolemia) and I can safely eat more fat that than a day, and you should too. Some fat is essential for hormone function and vitamin absorption from all of those vegetables you eat. Try upping your fat intake to at least .45 grams per pound of a healthy body weight for yourself.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It was around 500-800 calories and the emphasis was on vegetables, lean meats and small bits of some fruits.

If you feel great doing this, just keep the same kinds of foods, but scale the portions up to a more sustainable calorie goal.

The diet she was on was intended as a very short term measure. Unless you have some kind of credentials, this advice isn't necessarily wise, thus the previous advice to consult a dietitian.
    What, pray tell, is unwise about a diet that emphasizes lean meats, vegetables, and fruits with an appropriate calorie goal?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers. Both lower carb and low fat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

The diet she was on was intended as a very short term measure. Unless you have some kind of credentials, this advice isn't necessarily wise, thus the previous advice to consult a dietitian.
    What, pray tell, is unwise about a diet that emphasizes lean meats, vegetables, and fruits with an appropriate calorie goal?

I mean I do see what you are saying about the minimum amount of fat but I also agree with with John is saying.

But please tell me what would be wrong with this as my meal plan:

Breakfast:
    1 cup Herbal Tea
    1 Large Hardboiled Egg
    1/2 (75g) Fuji Apple

Lunch:
    1 small Greek nonfat yogurt
    1 scoop Whey Protein Vanilla

Dinner:

150 gram Chicken Breast
    8 oz Steamed Peas and Carrots
    2 cups Arugala
    1 tbl lemon juice

That is approx. 11g Fat / 42g Carb / 64g Protein

I mean, without even looking at the macros it seems like it would be pretty darn healthy.

How many calories is that?

11 grams of fat isn't much at all. For one day, not that big of a deal. Over time, it may be an issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I mean I do see what you are saying about the minimum amount of fat but I also agree with with John is saying.

Breakfast:
    1 cup Herbal Tea
    1 Large Hardboiled Egg
    1/2 (75g) Fuji Apple

Lunch:

Dinner:

150 gram Chicken Breast
    2 cups Arugala
    1 tbl lemon juice

I mean, without even looking at the macros it seems like it would be pretty darn healthy.

Except for the lack of calories. If I did the math right, 11g Fat / 42g Carb / 64g Protein is only 523 calories.

Is lack of calories and fiber leading to constipation?
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Breakfast:
    1 cup Herbal Tea
    1 Large Hardboiled Egg
    1/2 (75g) Fuji Apple

Lunch:

Dinner:

150 gram Chicken Breast
    2 cups Arugala
    1 tbl lemon juice

Except for the lack of calories. If I did the math right, 11g Fat / 42g Carb / 64g Protein is only 523 calories.

Is lack of calories and fiber leading to constipation?

Now scale that up to an appropriate calorie goal (say triple it)

33g fat, 126g carb, 192g protein (as it stands right now)

Protein looks higher than necessary (but not dangerously so) so we can lower that a bit and increase the fat and/or carbs while still keeping the same food choices and just tweaking the portions
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    @meinco , have you looked into the Mediterranean Diet? It isn't exactly any of the things you mentioned, but it has been shown to be helpful for the medical conditions you brought up.