Your favorite bogus nutrition/health "advice"

so I was browsing through Tumblr earlier, and one of the "recommended" posts from the Nutrition tag that popped up was this:

a37hvyed8hvz.jpg

and i literally started laughing. like i'm sorry but......no. Just no.
How is a waffle with some peanut butter and blueberries on it a "meal"? And what sad, sad soul eats just an egg, spinach and some damn beans and feels satisfied?

i was amused enough to keep scrolling through the tag, and sure enough, there were more gems, like this:
niy5d0xtybbo.jpg

remember guys, it's SIX almonds and TWO walnuts!!

gotta love it.

So- what's YOUR favorite piece of ridiculous "advice" or BroScience you've encountered recently, either online or IRL? And how did you respond? Did you smile and nod politely, laugh, or start a debate to talk some sense into 'em?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I was just on Pinterest and saw something about how pineapple juice is 500% more effective than cough syrup at getting rid of a cough because it has a chemical that gets rid of bacteria.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    mostly it's the idea that healthy food/drink is fine to have in unlimited or almost unlimited quantities. My friend gives her skinny preteen and teen organic whole milk and she actually suggested they're so skinny because they have never had skimmed milk or hormone-added milk. I lol'ed.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Facebook is the worst for woo diets. Always seeing something about taking a pill, drinking this, eating that to lose 10kgs in 2 weeks! Wtf. Thats not even possible uess you are morbidly obese, like morbidly!! Then I see all these people asking how do I sign up and tagging their friends etc. I dont say anything anymore cause people dont want to hear the truth about being in a calorie deficit.. cracks me up though haha
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2018
    sarahbums wrote: »
    i was amused enough to keep scrolling through the tag, and sure enough, there were more gems, like this:
    niy5d0xtybbo.jpg

„Give up alcohol and loneliness”.
    GOLD.

I'd add goji chia superfood fixations, the fear of „becoming too acidic” to the point of either drinking only alkaline water or adding a tsp of sodium bicarbonate to a glass, the conviction that if one eats after 6 PM it's going „straight to their thighs”. Oh, also the apple detox. Because *gaps*, who doesn't detox?

Edit: unless it's my mom who is the firm bullcr*p believer, I've learned not to care much or respond either way. With her I do, and it's hard because she has a tendency to embrace all „magic bullet” solutions. But we're getting there... I hope.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed. It will cause your metabolism to be higher than normal and burn more calories while you sleep.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    all i need to say here....My aunt. Like if you know what im saying xD Been a while since i posted about her maybe later ill let you in on some more of her nonsense

Has she buttered your coffee lately?!?