Your favorite bogus nutrition/health "advice"

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So much woo...

The manager of my Anytime Fitness had a female playing a VR video game to get her heart rate into the fat burning zone.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    sleep in the cold and burn calories all night....
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I love the whole drink apple cider and you'll magically wake up and be skinny. Or stay away from all foods with a high percentage of fat in it. Or the wraps for stomachs!

the stomach wraps, oh my god. There's no way those things are comfortable

once i even saw a girl at the gym who was running in a full sweatsuit and on top of that, she had wrapped her upper body in a literal trash bag

I keep seeing the wraps made up of saran wrap and almost every salve and balm you have in your medicine cabinet. With the neoprene wrap on top. Nope.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Mine is anything that is some form of telling you that the concept of calories is outdated.

Oh, and this:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Eat healthy foods and work out. I stayed obese for over a decade pretty much eating healthy food, and working out (even competing as an athlete).

Calories. It's calories. ;)

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,590 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Waffles with peanut butter and blueberries actually doesn't sound that bad though? I might hit it with some extra honey but still, it seems sound in principle.

Give up loneliness? Are there actually people out there who actively choose loneliness? As an introvert, I might change that one to "stop trying to please everybody" since you extroverts tend to get way too stressed out about what other people think.

How is fish, carrots, and green beans a 5 minute dinner? Are they eating everything raw? Ditto brown rice - what kind of miracle cooking grains do nutritionists buy that they can cook brown rice in less than 5 minutes?

I know nutritionists get a bad rap but do you not own a microwave oven? :) All can be zapped in the microwave for under 5 minutes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    all i need to say here....My aunt. Like if you know what im saying xD Been a while since i posted about her maybe later ill let you in on some more of her nonsense

I need more Aunt stories :)

Jeez, it's like your name is BeetleJuice when it comes to aunt stories...

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My favorite definitely came on Monday, from a functional med doc who I am hopefully not going back to.

In discussing my food/beverage choices, he called out my once a day can of Diet Coke. He told me that it was causing an insulin response, and that I could probably drop 20 pounds if I cut it out. (I've gained 14 pounds due to a thyroid issue.)

I'm type 1 diabetic. Have been for almost 36 years. Trust me when I say that if Diet Coke would trigger an insulin response in me, I wouldn't need my insulin pump.

(I say hopefully not going back, because I need a better game plan before I make the decision that he's not worth my time/money. I'm hoping that he's not the only one who will treat with T3, but OMG so much woo.)

Diet soda woo is some of my "favorite" woo. My grandfather had it around the house when it first came on the market back in the 1960's because he was diabetic and diabetics have been drinking it for years. The nonsense surrounding it now cracks me up.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    My favorite definitely came on Monday, from a functional med doc who I am hopefully not going back to.

In discussing my food/beverage choices, he called out my once a day can of Diet Coke. He told me that it was causing an insulin response, and that I could probably drop 20 pounds if I cut it out. (I've gained 14 pounds due to a thyroid issue.)

I'm type 1 diabetic. Have been for almost 36 years. Trust me when I say that if Diet Coke would trigger an insulin response in me, I wouldn't need my insulin pump.

(I say hopefully not going back, because I need a better game plan before I make the decision that he's not worth my time/money. I'm hoping that he's not the only one who will treat with T3, but OMG so much woo.)

Diet soda woo is some of my "favorite" woo. My grandfather had it around the house when it first came on the market back in the 1960's because he was diabetic and diabetics have been drinking it for years. The nonsense surrounding it now cracks me up.

And he's sitting there telling me this with a straight face! And how he used to weigh 250 pounds, and then he cut out soda, and he was sure that it was the insulin response. And I'm thinking "Buddy, if you were drinking that much regular Pepsi, of course you gained weight. And I literally don't *make* insulin to get a response from!"

Do all these people really think that it'll just make insulin happen? If it were that easy, we wouldn't have to treat type 1 with injectable meds!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Walk barefoot on grass FOR 40 MINUTES A DAY?
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am equally amused and aghast. Definitely going to cut down on alcohol and loneliness.

I was told to eat an orange after every meal. The pounds just melt away. Same person said don't exercise longer than 30 minutes as anything over doesn't do anything.

One of my favorites, though, is to drink water at room temperature to speed up metabolism.

• BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am equally amused and aghast. Definitely going to cut down on alcohol and loneliness.

I was told to eat an orange after every meal. The pounds just melt away. Same person said don't exercise longer than 30 minutes as anything over doesn't do anything.

That might be from the Beachbody workouts, they spout that woo to push their 30 minute a day programs. I use their workouts because they work for me, I just ignore all the Woo that they try to push.