Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It’s my body, not the governments

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military, people are rated based on the size of their kingdom. If an organization had money left over at the end of the fiscal year, they didn't return it for others to use. They spent it so they would get as much if not more the next fiscal year.

I'm not entirely clear on your point here. Are you suggesting that the delivery of military effect is something that should be provided by the private sector?
    No, my point is contrary to the post quoted, I found the 401(k) to be superior to Social Security and that there was not incentive for the military to lower costs. Even when contracted out, unless the branch spending the money has an incentive to spend less, they will spend every dollar allocated, even if the goods or services are not needed.

So the issue isn't with the delivery of military effect being a government function?

I'd agree that the behaviours that incremental budgeting encourages are unhelpful, but that's an issue with the budgeting technique rather than public services.

Zero based budgeting encourages its own bad behaviours, although in truth I think it's a more comprehensive approach to it.

The issue is blind belief that either government or private sector is the best.

Why not give people the choice? I.E. if one believes Social Security is better than a 401(k) let them VOLUNTARILY put their money in Social Security and live with the outcome. If others believe a 401(k) is the better option, instead of making them be part of Social Security (all or just the income security portion of FICA taxes) let them choose. Maybe they choose 0-100% of the 6.2% portion of their FICA taxes to go into SS and a similar choice for the employer's matching 6.2% "contribution."

But just passing a law saying you must be part of this great plan we've developed may not be the best for all involved.

I know I could be retired in my mid-50s had I had control of the 12.4% taken each year and immediately spent instead of modestly invested in index funds.

That's a high-tech job that could be filled by another instead of me, if I had control over those funds.

Instead, I'm forced into SS where not only must I contribute, but I'll only see 30% of my indexed monthly income s a benefit vs the worker who paid closer to the minimum who will get 90% of his indexed monthly income at full retirement age.

It's a bad deal all the way around for me.

I'd not really responded to the issue about pensions, as the US system isn't one I'm familiar with.

Clearly something that you feel strongly about, but I was more interested in digging into your issue with delivery of militarily effect.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Politics lies downstream of culture. Any government quickly learns this to their own peril when its ambition exceeds its grasp.

Why legislate something you cannot possibly enforce?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

The basic point I am making is that, in a complex, modern society of 330 million people, it doesn’t always get to be about you. (Or me, or any single individual for that matter). The design of something like SSI and the issues involved are a lot more complex than just saying “I want my 12.4%, because I want it”. (And what makes you think for even an instant that the company you work for would be willing to turn over that 6.2% if they weren’t “forced” to by the government? They would be crying “freedom” more quickly, more loudly, and more effectively than you).

And, as recent years have shown, there is no guarantee that you could invest your money that successfully, or that other factors over which you have no control wouldn’t intervene. Then the rest of society would have to pitch in and support you. A society has to take the long view of what is the best fit for everyone. I understand your point, but I think you are making the common mistake of seeing things only from the point of view of your narrow self-interest (not meant as criticism). The track record of the “voluntary” system you favor overall is not encouraging. We are going to be facing a crisis in the future because the vast majority of people in 401K plans have done a pretty poor job of investing—partly because they haven’t been able to invest much, partly because they aren’t very good at investing, and partly because their earnings are sharply reduced by fees that are charged (401K plans are in large part government-sponsored welfare programs for banks).

Obviously, you think you are the outlier. And you very well could be. And so from your perspective, it seems unfair that you are “forced” into a system that you think puts you at a disadvantage. And that could very well be true. My feeling is that society cannot risk having millions of elderly, impoverished citizens, just so that a special few (like you and me) can do better. IMO, that might suck, but that’s the price you pay for living in a modern nation with all the benefits that America has to offer. Overall, it’s not such a bad deal.

I didn’t read all of it, but this site seemed to be a honest attempt to lay out the pros and cons:

https://socialsecurity.procon.org/

Want to keep what you make is exactly the opposite of "what about me." It is never selfish to want to keep what you make. To me, the ones who are selfish are those who think it's the job of society to take care of them or others.

If I screw up, it should be obvious that I believe it's MY job to support myself, not societies.

Therefore, I'm not the one saying, or even suggesting that society has an obligation to support me. I'm saying just the opposite, it's my job. Not yours, not society's, not any political party or government scheme.

It's my job.

Why can't society "risk" having millions impoverished? Because they decided that society is responsible to care for others?

Putting that burden on society is the ultimate in selfish. If you are against the impoverished suffering, then feel free to use your time, talent and treasure to help out.

But passing the buck to "society" is the opposite of compassion. Compassion is never measured by what government programs you support. Compassion is only measured by what you do with YOUR time, YOUR talent and YOUR treasure. It's never measured by you political policy or representatives or programs you favor.

So if there was no safety social net and you lost your investments after you could no longer work, you'd what? Lay down and die? I'm really curious to know what your exact expectations of those with no money and limited ability to earn more are.

This has nothing to do with "compassion," I'm asking about the practical consequences if we all adopted this as a matter of policy.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I actually share the view with "Taxes are theft" libertarians that taxation is done through force and that if you don't pay your taxes year after year after year that eventually someone with a gun is going to show up at your door. I do not like the idea of redistribution of wealth at gunpoint and that the harder I work the more of my money gets taken away from me in part to support people who are not bothering to work as hard. Neither of those feel good nor do I like them.

But what is the alternative? The alternative is having people who don't deserve it literally starving and dying because they ended up as part of the labor force....a force that needs to exist and whose low pay is what helps bolster up the success of all of the professionals who rely upon them.

I do not see a practical alternative to making sure those people at least get meals and a roof over their head other than taxation and social services. The idea that if those didn't exist we'd all band together and give to charities that somehow despite having the same logistics to deal with would be much more efficient and suffer much less corruption somehow I feel is just head in the clouds thinking.

So yeah, between having part of my salary taken from me to give to others (some of whom don't deserve it) and having a percentage of the population unable to support themselves to the point of illness starvation and death then I am going to pick the first option.

If you think that is an exaggeration please point to the country that operates without any social service safety nets and does not have an issue with starvation, homelessness and unneccessary death.

Don't get me wrong, I respect people who are making cases against SS and other welfare type programs...I do get the feelings they are expressing, I have them myself. But I don't by the "charity will do it" answer to what happens if we don't have taxes supporting social services so until I hear a better option I am going to support what systems we currently have in place that prevent mass homelessness, starvation and illness.

giphy.gif