Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It’s my body, not the governments

Options

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

The only answer people seem to have for that is "Charity". But honestly if there was a Charity that was large enough and distributed enough to do what the government does with social security then how exactly would it not have the same logistical and financial issues and need for everyone to contribute?

But what caused Charity to atrophy? I suggest it's because, with government social safety nets, we all became Scrooge and think it's someone else's job to care for the poor. The modern day version of "are there no poor houses" is "the government should take care of this."

Charity has atrophied because everyone believes they are being charitable by paying their taxes and letting those who buy votes with taxpayer (and borrowed) money decide what constitutes charity.

My heartburn is more about those whose re-election is up for grabs making the choices of what constitutes helping others and then using money taken from others to fund their vision of the greater good.

If you have a vision of the greater good, band together with like minded people and voluntarily give YOUR time, YOUR talent and YOUR treasure to do so.

I have ZERO problem with that. I do that.

I have no problem with helping others. I believe government is a largely inappropriate vehicle to accomplish those ends. Even worse is when those who are elected get involved. I think of Alexis de Tocqueville and his observations on how our great experiment in self governance will work until our Congress learns it can bribe the electorate with the electorate's money.

I believe we are witnessing the unraveling of this great republic today. The more we suggest is a burden society must bear and government must do it, the weaker our republic and freedoms become.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I get the feeling people act like the reason that social security doesn't pay out as well as a 401k is because a 401k is privately managed and is efficient while SS is government slow and lumbering and inefficient and wasteful.

That isn't why. A 401k pays out more because when you put into the 401k that is your money which then comes back to you plus whatever interest. When you "put in" to social security it is a tax to support a welfare system that the entire nation is supported by.

Lets take Bob as an example. Bob was born in 1953 and is 65 years old, he is now retired. He worked from the age of 20 as a sewer maintenance worker. He never married or had children, he just worked that one job all of his life. He made inflation adjusted to 2018 $26k every year during that time. Making that much he contributed $1612 every year to social security. Given his after tax income was something like $20k which is $1600 a month, that he had very budget food ($300), rent ($800), health insurance ($300) and car insurance ($50) and car maintenance/gas ($50) to pay he was not able to save basically any money other than about $100 a month. He doesn't have a phone or internet or really any money at all for entertainment or any other such "extravagance."

When he retires social security will pay him $879 a month which is $10,548 a year...about 8 times more than he put in at $1612 a year. If he lives to 85 that would be 20 years of SS payout compared to 40 years worked so he'd get 4x the amount he invested in return. That with the $100 he squirreled away every month responsibly is just about enough to get a rent controlled studio and rice and beans for meals. Medicare covers his basic medical needs.

The fact that Bob gets 4 times more than he put in (or a 400% return even accounting for inflation) on his SS "investment" is why you and I don't get nearly as good of a "return" on our SS investment compared to something like a 401k that doesn't give a cent to Bob. That fact is also what allows Bob to survive and for us to continue to have a labor force paid at those rates that support our infrastructure.

Without social security Bob would have 20 years of unemployment with at maximum $48,000 in savings to survive off of which would be $100 a month. Chances are he'd have less than that given he would likely have had expenses along the way like having to buy another car or maybe buy some clothes now and again. How exactly would he have a roof over his head and food for that? Is that his fault? His failings? His problem?

I understand the math and understand that the reason SS doesn't pay as well is multifaceted:

1) First, your return is subject to two bend points where you get 90%, 32% then 15% of portions of your indexed monthly income: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf

2) It's not invested. It has nothing to do with public vs private. It has everything to do with the funds are not invested in such a fashion to even outpace inflation, let alone grow. So as we are moving towards some of the lowest labor participation rates since the 1970s, SS doesn't (or won't soon) collect enough to pay benefits. So all those IOUs stored in Al Gore's "lock box" must be cashed in soon. (Hopefully Tipper isn't getting them if they divorce.)

The system started taking less than 2% of a worker's wage, and has increased to 6.2% today, as well as the "contribution" by the employer. Not to mention, full retirement age is being moved out. For the Baby Boomers, it's 65 years of age. Funny how they are making it even later for those who follow. For me, it will be 67 years. So I have pay into the system two additional years to get to full retirement age, and then half my indexed income will be paid back in a monthly benefit at $0.15/indexed dollar earned.

So it's sold as "your retirement savings" or benefit, or something of the sorts, but the "benefit" is greatly diminished for high earners and those who had the misfortune of being born outside the baby boom.

And all of this set by policies and politicians for whom I was too young to vote when they decided to do this.

Yet, I'm stuck with the consequences of their choices and told I should be happy and more charitable about it.

Sorry, bad decisions made by a previous generation or two do not constitute an obligation on my part.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There certainly is a worldwide issue with maintaining retirees above the poverty line for this fundamental reason:

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&ctype=b&strail=false&nselm=s&met_x=sp_dyn_le00_in&scale_x=lin&ind_x=false&met_y=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&met_s=sp_pop_totl&scale_s=lin&ind_s=false&dimp_c=country:region&ifdim=country&iconSize=0.5&uniSize=0.035#!ctype=b&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=s&met_x=sp_dyn_le00_in&scale_x=lin&ind_x=false&met_y=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&met_s=sp_pop_totl&scale_s=lin&ind_s=false&dimp_c=country:region&ifdim=country&pit=-305658000000&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false

(drag the bar to the left then hit press play.

That is world births per woman versus life expectancy versus time that I just slapped together with the census data explorer. It is actually a 5 dimensional graph, X axis is life expectancy, Y axis is fertility, Z axis is time, bubbles are regions and bubble size is population of the region.

Life expectancy world wide is climbing while birth rates are declining which means fewer and fewer able bodied working adults are supporting a larger and larger retired population. The change that has occurred globally just in the past 50 years is dramatic and yet our economic systems haven't really adapted to compensate. Don't get me wrong, life expectancy increasing while birth rate decreases is actually a real sign of economic and developmental progress world-wide which is excellent, but it does mean we probably have to change how we handle retirement.

(on a side note looking at the graph again just shows how absolutely f***** Cambodia was in 1977 and Rwanda in 1993)
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the concept of possessing personal freedom to be reckless , as long as the person who engages in this doesn't become a liability to the government as a result.

For example, go ahead and abuse steroids and drugs or refuse to wear motorcycle helmets and seatbelts, but if this decision results in an impairment to your health, the ensuing medical treatment and other costs associated with the health problem (lost work, for example) are completely on you, not the government. You can't ask the government to butt out of your life when it suits you and then scurry over and ask for government assistance when the *kitten* hits the fan...

Well said, can't add a thing!! Just wish there was a HUGE thumbs-up Icon here;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Services that I think benefit from broad collaboration - national highways, all railroads, utilities, pensions, communication networks, and health care.