CPAP and Sleep Apnea

Options
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea almost 3 years ago and have used a CPAP machine since then. One of my major goals is to not have to use a machine at all. My sleep apnea is connected to being overweight. I'm just tired of all of it. Is anyone else in the same boat? Or was?

Replies

• waytoofat3
    waytoofat3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've had a CPAP for 2 yrs.I'd rather not have to use it but I do get a much better sleep than without.My Dr.said my apnea is most likely caused by being overweight as well,however,I disagree,because I never got a good nights sleep even when I was thin.For me it might be something I use for the rest of my life.

What bothers you most about it? I didn't like it for the first few nights I used it but that was it
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Runs in my family. My dad was skinny most of his life and shook the house. I've been using a CPAP for 15 years. Don't like it, but I do like the better sleep I get with it. Weight is a factor for some or many, but most likely not in my case.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Just a few of the stories on the Success board (Use the advanced search function and change the board)

Weight loss is fairly simple (although it's not always easy) if you're truly tired of it, lose the weight and you will probably be able to wave farewell to the CPAP machine. Check out the Most Helpful posts pinned at the top of the Getting Started & this board and you will find an abundance of information on how to lose weight without being miserable or starved in a sustainable manner and great tips for keeping it off.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10641005/reversed-pre-diabetes-sleep-apnea-bronchitis-asthma-lost-196-lbs-in-3-1-2-years

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/735623/sleep-apnea-it-is-not-a-life-sentence

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10443757/heading-to-my-doctor-tomorrow-for-my-quarterly-check-up

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have no data other than personal experience to back it up, but I do think that excessive weight causes sleep apnea in some people. I never reached the point of using a machine but I probably should have. I often woke myself up by snoring and gasping for breath when overweight.

Since I've gotten myself down to a healthy weight, I've had no problems breathing at night.

If you only started experiencing breathing problems at night after gaining weight, then weight loss will probably make the problems go away. If you've had sleep apnea before gaining weight, then it'll probably stick with you.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago when I was a bit "fluffier" than I am now, but the apnea didn't go away after I lost the weight. Drinking exacerbates the condition, as well, so I've cut that out (for the most part baring the occasional indulgence) but all things being equal I will get a better nights sleep WITH the mask than without it.

• TheAndyCook
    TheAndyCook Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too have the goal of dropping weight and getting off the CPAP. As I got heavier I snored more. But even when I was thin I snored. I assume there will be another factors contributing to the snoring. I'll get those looked at when I hit my weight target. Funny how the doctors stopped looking for causes when the sleep study results came back.
  • zombiebrainsss
    zombiebrainsss Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went though so many sleep studies, at least 3 before I was put on the CPAP. I just miss not having to worry about my machine when I travel and I'd just rather not have to wear a mask while I sleep. I guess I don't have the best reason for not wanting to use CPAP.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I went though so many sleep studies, at least 3 before I was put on the CPAP. I just miss not having to worry about my machine when I travel and I'd just rather not have to wear a mask while I sleep. I guess I don't have the best reason for not wanting to use CPAP.

No, it makes sense. Being tethered to anything is something I want to avoid. We travel a lot and it takes up space. We also have power outages that I can’t sleep through because I need the cpap to breathe. I’m crossing my fingers that at my goal weight I can put my cpap away.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I was diagnosed a few years ago when I was a bit "fluffier" than I am now, but the apnea didn't go away after I lost the weight. Drinking exacerbates the condition, as well, so I've cut that out (for the most part baring the occasional indulgence) but all things being equal I will get a better nights sleep WITH the mask than without it.

This is me, too. (Well, I haven't noticed the effect with drinking. ;) ).

I do need a reduced pressure prescription post-weight-loss though: I feel like the machine is trying to drown me with air, sometimes, but don't sleep well without it, either.

The bad part is that I'm having the devil of a time getting that reduced prescription, though. I won't go through the whole saga, but fundamentally I so far can't convince the sleep folks that what's happening is really happening (symptomatically speaking), and my insurance doesn't want to cover a whole new sleep study (which would be my 3rd). Grrrr.

Here's hoping y'all who are losing will find you no longer need the CPAP: I've seen reports here from many for whom that's been the case. :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am about to be retested, but I fear I will still be on CPAP. I have fallen asleep on the couch without it and snorted awake feeling like I was strangled.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was in the same boat and hoped to not have to use my machine ever again...

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a couple of years ago before I lost all my weight. I began at 120+ apneas/hour which were mostly obstructive (due to my weight). My last sleep study showed no more obstructive apneas, yay, but I am still experiencing about 16 hypopneas/hour which are almost all during my REM sleep.

So, unfortunately, I still have to use my BiPAP machine. However, the pressure settings are much much lower now and I really don't have an issue using it.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love my CPAP machine. I haven't even thought about getting rid of it. Not only do I sleep FABULOUS now, my sinus problems have cleared up!
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used a CPAP machine for sleep apnea for about 5 years until the machine burnt out. I loved that machine - I slept well. By the time the machine burnt out, I lost a significant amount of weight (60+ lbs.) but I didn't have the funds to do another $8,000 sleep study, nor pay for another $1000 machine. Soon after I discovered that I no longer needed it. I slept well without it, I hardly snore and I'm not drowsy during the day.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I hated my machine. Mask hurt so much and woke me almost as often as the apnea. Sooooo glad to be off of it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sleep apnea can be hereditary or weight related. If it's genetic, you won't cure it aside from surgery. Mine was cured with weight loss. After I reached my goal weight, doctor ordered an in home test, not another sleep clinic test.
    PS If mask is a problem, ask for a diiferent kind. There are many styles to fit everyone's shape and comfort.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to be able to ditch the cpap after getting to a healthy weight, but the weight loss did not resolve the apnea.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to need a CPAP machine, but I lost over 50 pounds & never want to see that thing again. I sleep on my stomach, which made it a huge pain in the @ss to sleep with it.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I have one and hate it. I've lost 55 pounds and am only 'overweight' now. I still snore, and can remember that I snored when I was young and thin.

I do sleep more soundly when I use it, but can't stand the mask. I've tried a bunch of different marks and headgear, and have found that they either irritate the skin around my nostrils after a week or so, or they make my nose break out. If I fit it tight enough to stop making whooshing sounds, I end up with a mark on my face the next day from the pressure.