To Keto or not to Keto

Options

Replies

• johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you don't count the drivel from quacks like Fung, et al, the scientific truth is both very clear and very universal. Whether you choose to believe it or not.

Denying the law of energy balance is just like denying the law of gravity. You can choose to believe it or not, but if you jump out of a tree, you're still going to hit the ground.

Yes the law of gravity is universal - and if you jump out of a tree you will hit the ground - but you can jump out of the tree holding an anvil or wearing a parachute

This is a great analogy for TEF.

Each scenario is obviously different. Until you realize that the mass of the anvil will have negligible effect on gravitational acceleration, and the parachute will not have time to open fully before hitting the ground.

Exactly like the TEF

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    If you don't count the drivel from quacks like Fung, et al, the scientific truth is both very clear and very universal. Whether you choose to believe it or not.

Denying the law of energy balance is just like denying the law of gravity. You can choose to believe it or not, but if you jump out of a tree, you're still going to hit the ground.

Yes the law of gravity is universal - and if you jump out of a tree you will hit the ground - but you can jump out of the tree holding an anvil or wearing a parachute and your experience hitting the ground will be very different. When people talk about CICO they talk about simply counting calories and treating a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. We know that your body reacts to proteins and carbs and fats differently and those differences have down stream effects on hormones and metabolism.

I still think the evidence supports that CICO is too simplistic a model to explain what actually happens in the human body.

If I drop ten pounds of feathers and a ten pound anvil, which will hit the ground first?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    These are the facts: you can lose a lot of weight at first. I fully believe all the people that say they've lost weight on keto--I'm not denying that at all.

But you will gain weight back when you stop, and then you may find it harder to lose that weight again. It's a form of starvation mode and it completely destroys your endocrine system's ability to affect homeostasis when used over the long term. It likely has negative long-term effects on your brain/nervous system and your cardiovascular system as well. It's not a long-term diet. Period. End of story. That is what the science of physiology says.

It's a tool that was designed for professional athletes who are trying to cut weight in the short term for specific competitions. If you are morbidly obese, it can be used (UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION) to shed some pounds, but only because the alternative is chronic disease and because your endocrine/cardiovascular/nervous systems are likely already damaged, so it's the lesser of the evils there.

Please, above all else, talk to your doctor!!!!!!!!! before going on any sort of extreme plan like keto, and listen to what your doctor says (even if it's different from what I just wrote).

keto was NOT used for athletes to cut weight short term. it was designed for people who have epilepsy which for many this diet helps them to control their seizures. but for epilepsy the protein is higher than in keto. now athletes may have come across the study and thought hmmm and tried it. but no it was originally used for epileptics since the 1920s. as for it being bad for your health. so far there are no scientific studies that I have come across stating that its dangerous and will ruin your health long term. if its not a long term diet then explain how people who have done it for years are having no issues? and how its helped many with health issues overcome them with this diet?

Define "high protein" please. Medically therapeutic ketogenic diets as I understand them are high fat diets and do not have what I would consider protein higher than most use/eat in weight loss keto.

Might want to double check the bold. Classical keto for epilepsy is generally a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio of fats:combined carbs+protein which in both cases make protein very low and certainly lower than the common 75%/20/5 or 70%/25/5 macro combos for "weight loss keto". The 3:1 is generally ~80% fat which leaves only 20% combined protein and carbs. The 4:1 is obviously higher in fat than the 3:1 so even less protein (combined with carbs).

There are alternate versions of ketogenic diets for some folks with epilepsy which allow for a little higher protein/carbs such as a Modified Atkins, Low Glycemic or MCT Diet however they are still quite low in protein in conjunction with carbs.

If you are aware of a high protein ketogenic diet for neurology I would appreciate you sending me information on it. Thank you.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So water weight rushes are typical of cutting carbs, but it can take time for people to get into ketosis. Is there a second whoosh associated with actually achieving ketosis?
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    So water weight rushes are typical of cutting carbs, but it can take time for people to get into ketosis. Is there a second whoosh associated with actually achieving ketosis?

Not that I'm aware of. The first 'woosh' is from using up glycogen stores and the water stored with it, after that I imagine it goes down just like any other calorie reduced eating plan, it depends on your calorie deficit. I get 'whooshes' every month after TOM, but that is still water retention.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    These are the facts: you can lose a lot of weight at first. I fully believe all the people that say they've lost weight on keto--I'm not denying that at all.

But you will gain weight back when you stop, and then you may find it harder to lose that weight again. It's a form of starvation mode and it completely destroys your endocrine system's ability to affect homeostasis when used over the long term. It likely has negative long-term effects on your brain/nervous system and your cardiovascular system as well. It's not a long-term diet. Period. End of story. That is what the science of physiology says.

It's a tool that was designed for professional athletes who are trying to cut weight in the short term for specific competitions. If you are morbidly obese, it can be used (UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION) to shed some pounds, but only because the alternative is chronic disease and because your endocrine/cardiovascular/nervous systems are likely already damaged, so it's the lesser of the evils there.

Please, above all else, talk to your doctor!!!!!!!!! before going on any sort of extreme plan like keto, and listen to what your doctor says (even if it's different from what I just wrote).

keto was NOT used for athletes to cut weight short term. it was designed for people who have epilepsy which for many this diet helps them to control their seizures. but for epilepsy the protein is higher than in keto. now athletes may have come across the study and thought hmmm and tried it. but no it was originally used for epileptics since the 1920s. as for it being bad for your health. so far there are no scientific studies that I have come across stating that its dangerous and will ruin your health long term. if its not a long term diet then explain how people who have done it for years are having no issues? and how its helped many with health issues overcome them with this diet?

Define "high protein" please. Medically therapeutic ketogenic diets as I understand them are high fat diets and do not have what I would consider protein higher than most use/eat in weight loss keto.

Might want to double check the bold. Classical keto for epilepsy is generally a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio of fats:combined carbs+protein which in both cases make protein very low and certainly lower than the common 75%/20/5 or 70%/25/5 macro combos for "weight loss keto". The 3:1 is generally ~80% fat which leaves only 20% combined protein and carbs. The 4:1 is obviously higher in fat than the 3:1 so even less protein (combined with carbs).

There are alternate versions of ketogenic diets for some folks with epilepsy which allow for a little higher protein/carbs such as a Modified Atkins, Low Glycemic or MCT Diet however they are still quite low in protein in conjunction with carbs.

If you are aware of a high protein ketogenic diet for neurology I would appreciate you sending me information on it. Thank you.
    some of the ones you mentioned are higher protein but this one says up to 35% protein for the modified atkins diet http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0516p46.shtml

this one states the atkins diet is 30% protein(you probably knew this already) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1176378/

this one says the modified atkins has no restrictions on protein https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656445/

many of these also say that one type of fat is better than others in a diet for epilepsy. there is even mention of a 9:1 ratio too.
  • marktwainwiggam
    marktwainwiggam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My two cents. Keto like veganism and vegetarianism, comes in different flavors. There are fat vegetarians and vegans as well as ultra thin ones. Most good diet plans I have heard of succeeding, are the ones with copious amounts of vegetables with no refined carbohydrates. Keto, from my research, can achieve this. In fact since one of its tennants is ultra low carbs. It can achieve this very well. Been studying up on diabetes, sounds like excess sugar is the big baddy, not good fats.

If you'd been studying the proper stuff about diabetes, you'd know that sugar doesn't cause it.

Obesity is strongly linked to diabetes as a causative factor, though. And obesity comes from eating too many calories. Regardless of whether they're carbs/sugar, fat or protein.

Preach!
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    how do you set a number on it? being on a keto diet naturally suppresses your appetite if you are doing it correctly so there is no need to calorie restrict your self. and have you tried the diet?

You're assuming that fat has a high satiety level for everyone, which is not true. I do better with a higher carb intake-carbs make me feel full for much longer than fat does (and yes, I've experimented with very low carb/high fat).

At the end of the day weight loss, weight maintenance and weight gain comes down to CICO. There's all sorts of ways you can go about approaching CICO, but it's the underlying truth for all the weight loss diets and fads out there.

If someone finds that eating a low carb or keto diet helps them achieve CICO easier than another plan/way of eating that's great! We're each highly individual when it comes to macros satiety, food preferences, lifestyles, schedules, activity levels etc. The important thing is to figure out what works for you and then go with it :)