To Keto or not to Keto

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I do keto, and it’s very helpful to me because it helps me keep a calorie deficit more easily than when I eat a lot more carbs (even quinoa, beans, sweet potatoes, and veggies can make me ravenous). Fats satisfy me better than carbs and I have far less cravings for foods (breads, pasta, granola, ice cream, etc.) that easily take me past calorie goals. I am a volume eater and low carb veggies really satisfy because I can eat a large amount of them. For me, calories do matter on keto. I have to count them along with macros to be successful. I more or less do a weekly average for macros and calories because I am hungry some days. I do not need to stay under 20 net grams of carbs to see fat loss. Under 50 works for me to stay in ketosis. It’s worth a shot to try it if you are struggling to lose weight, and if you think you can sustain it. It can feel rather restrictive if you focus on what you shouldn’t eat on keto rather than focusing on all that you can have.

Congrats! I wanted to add that I believe your last sentence is true for any other dietary change as well. Focus on what you want to add more of or want to prioritize, and let it naturally push out the other stuff :smiley:
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Lyle McDonald has books on how to cycle a ketogenic diet to cut and bulk-calories do play a part.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

Very inspiring with your weight loss. Congrats!! I was pre diabetic before doing keto/intermittent fasting and no longer am. No fatty liver, no high blood sugar anymore. :smile:

I'm curious, with your large amount of weight loss have you been able to get out of the diabetic state? Are you currently taking insulin or other medicines, or other?

I'm curious because I have a relative who had T2D and he was and still is a very thin, lean guy. 42 years old. No where near being obese but still had the Diabetes. He has been eating keto for only about 5 months and has completely reversed his T2D. He was on insulin and no longer takes that or any other meds. He went from a very high carb intake to barely any. Funny how so many folks say it's not possible to reverse it and that it's all fat related (of course obesity is a major player) but facts show that even skinny people have Diabetes and can still reverse it if they do what's needed to do so.

I am completely off meds. I took metformin and then had it reduced. The doctor took me off of it in January, and my last A1C was 5.9 - so high normal. I am working on bringing it down some more. I still consider myself T2D, but I am just managing it with diet. Once I get to goal weight, I may see if I can tolerate a few more carbs in maintenance, but that is why I have the meter.

I managed to do all this in the span of less than 18 months since diagnosis. The weight loss helped, but even before losing weight, the diet brought down the glucose numbers dramatically and gave me a lot of motivation to stay with this diet. I tried the Diabetes Association diet initially because that is what the doctor gave me, and it really did not work for me or seem to help my numbers at all. I would have to check but I think I did not see a reading under 200 (fasting or otherwise) until I started restricting the carbs to 50 a day. I tried lower carb amounts to see if the downward trend would continue, and they did. I reduced carbs to 20 and formally adopted keto in October of 2016. Numbers then were very good and were reflected in subsequent A1C's.