Carbs/Protein/Glycogen

Options
13»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I wonder how energy levels are affected by extreme carb restrictions. Sub-par workouts will impact muscle development. So while not a direct cause... still a factor in the conversation.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What AnvilHead said pretty much covers it, but also, ketosis makes your breath smell like a trash can with a dead squirrel in it.
  • ahilton1992
    ahilton1992 Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @jjpptt2 Yes, absolutely. Especially for folks who may be new to low carb - it is tough. Probably why it is so highly debated.

Just for me personally, say I didn't get much sleep the night before and am feeling groggy, then when I'm low carb (50-70G per day) a bowl of oatmeal with about 30-35 carbs pre workout seems to be all I need to for that extra kick.

Here's what's crazy to me though: Your body has 4 main sources it can use for energy -
    Body Fat
    Muscle Glycogen
    Liver Glycogen
    Muscle/Tissue

All 4 can used for energy by the body.

When we talk about "energy levels".. that really is just referring to glycogen - Muscles can store about 350-400g of glycogen (From what I've read from multiple sources), and since protein will convert to glycogen (although not as easily as carbs) then theoretically you should be able to have the same energy levels without carbs.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Especially for folks who may be new to low carb - it is tough. Probably why it is so highly debated.

Just for me personally, say I didn't get much sleep the night before and am feeling groggy, then when I'm low carb (50-70G per day) a bowl of oatmeal with about 30-35 carbs pre workout seems to be all I need to for that extra kick.

Here's what's crazy to me though: Your body has 4 main sources it can use for energy -
    Body Fat
    Muscle Glycogen
    Liver Glycogen
    Muscle/Tissue

All 4 can used for energy by the body.

When we talk about "energy levels".. that really is just referring to glycogen - Muscles can store about 350-400g of glycogen (From what I've read from multiple sources), and since protein will convert to glycogen (although not as easily as carbs) then theoretically you should be able to have the same energy levels without carbs.

Doesn't work that way in practice because the process is slower and doesn't work "on demand" in the same way. Keto is fine for daily energy levels once the person is adapted, and excellent for certain endurance tasks like distance running, not so great for anything requiring quick bursts of energy.
  • ahilton1992
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'd agree that carbs are practical in that sense.

But I just don't agree with the typical bro science of bulking or that you can't gain muscle while in caloric deficit or caloric maintenance.
  • rheddmobile
    Options

But I just don't agree with the typical bro science of bulking or that you can't gain muscle while in caloric deficit or caloric maintenance.

Well... good luck with that! Not all science is bro science, this is just science. Unless you are using drugs, it's nearly impossible for someone to make substantial gains in a deficit unless that person is obese or a newbie, which from your photo it doesn't look like you are either.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I shared this in the recomp thread a week or so ago:

Timely post by Brad Schoenfeld on Facebook today about recomp. Here's the infographic he posted, along with his initial comments on it:

"It absolutely is possible to gain muscle while losing body fat; the extent to which this can be achieved depends on several factors"

hjomyzybgpxc.jpg

A couple of the comments/questions and his responses:
    Q: How can you lose fat and build muscle at the same time when one thing requires you to be in a calorie deficit and the other requires you to be in a calorie surplus?

Schoenfeld: Because you don’t need to be in a surplus to gain muscle.

Q: are you saying here that a proper training stimulus and eating enough protein is enough to build muscle?

Schoenfeld: Yep; sufficient to build, not to maximize gainz.
  • ahilton1992
    Options
    @rheddmobile Much appreciated. Just a really interesting topic to me - for some reason
  • ahilton1992
    Options
    @RoxieDawn This is fantastic, thank you!
  • ahilton1992
    Options
    Guess you have to pick between living a long healthy life and looking good naked lol
  • ahilton1992
    Options
    I think there can be a big difference between eating to get jacked/shredded (whatever you want to call it) vs eating to keep your body as healthy as possible
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Guess you have to pick between living a long healthy life and looking good naked lol

More like you have to pick between taking the advice of evidence-based sources or woo peddlers.
  • ahilton1992
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @AnvilHead Just saw your last post, and I think that pretty much sums it up.

"Sufficient to build, not to maximize gainz"
  • ahilton1992
    Options
    @AnvilHead agreed lol
  • AnvilHead
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think there can be a big difference between eating to get jacked/shredded (whatever you want to call it) vs eating to keep your body as healthy as possible

Since you qualified it as "can be" vs. "is", I agree.

If you look at a contest ready bodybuilder, they're far from "as healthy as possible". They're dehydrated (intentionally), starved, bordering on overtrained/exhausted, and pared down to minimum essential bodyfat levels. And if we're talking about professional/non-natty bodybuilders, they're also jacked full of PEDs/cutting agents. There's a reason they can't maintain that condition for more than a week or so at most.

OTOH, there are plenty of men and women who are 'jacked/shredded' (by genpop standards, not competitive bodybuilder standards) who are perfectly healthy, train hard and eat anywhere from ultra-"clean" (albeit often monotonous and bland) to "everything in moderation" diets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I guess my question is why would you want to use protein to replenish glycogen? If protein is being used for glycogen is not being used to support muscle building.

It is true that the carb support muscle building indirectly. They are anti catabolic and prevent protein breakdown. This in turn allows proteins to be used for muscle building and create new cells.

Additionally carbs have their benefits. Studies have shown that carbohydrates enhance recovery enable you to lift more especially when you're taxing your anaerobic and phosphate systems (explosive power).