Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are 'convenience foods' really convenient?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have seen a few people talk about how convenience foods - in this case meaning pre-packaged foods and meals, like mac & cheese, frozen dinners, hamburger helper, etc... - are not really 'convenient.' Basically, not easier to make, not easy to make in less time, etc..

Mind, I'm not debating whether convenience food is healthier. Convenient, in this case, is solely looking at 'easier.' The ease of getting the food ready and in our bodies, but not about what happens to our bodies once it is there. Possibly the cost, too, as I imagine it's easier in life if you have more money. :-)

I have a friend who believes that convenience foods are NOT more convenient. My friend's argument (based on his own views plus a few articles done about 5-8 years ago) was that you still had to go to the store, so that's the same amount of time, that cooking time for convenience foods vs. home cooked foods was about the same, and that people spent nearly the same time in food prep for both (in a bit of research by Margaret Beck in 2013, people spent about 10-12 minutes more prepping 'from scratch' meals vs. convenience foods).

My belief is that convenience foods are quite often very convenient. So I'm hoping a debate on this will help both myself and my friend when we talk about this next. :-)

I'm going to just put my own thoughts on this in the next post, to keep things tidier for this first post, and I look forward to hearing what folks have to say on the topic.

Your friend has obviously never made homemade macaroni and cheese from scratch vs making a box of Kraft mac n cheese :p

I use both regularly-some things like instant potatoes are way easier/faster/more convenient than making mashed potatoes from raw potatoes. Or things like homemade lasagna vs a Stouffers frozen lasagna, which you literally just throw in the oven. Other things are pretty much a wash. It really just depends on specific items/meals.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Of course convenient foods are easier...

I made lasagna for guests on Saturday night...between prep, simmering my homemade sauce, and cooking, it was about a 3 hour ordeal. I wouldn't ever do it, but I could have just bought a frozen lasagna and popped it in the oven.

Our kids really like mac 'n cheese...they usually have Annie's from the box and it takes me all of 10 minutes to make it. When I made mac 'n cheese from scratch, it's at least a 2 hour deal.

I don't generally make a lot of convenience food...I generally find them sub par to my own cooking...but most of my cooking, particularly during the work week takes me about 20-30 minutes to get dinner ready...in that regard, convenience foods are only slightly more convenient time wise.

It takes longer to get the roux started for Real Mac n Cheese than it takes cradle to grave for boxed mac.

You're using a light roux for mac and cheese, right? Shouldn't take too long. But I can make a dark chocolate colored roux in 7 minutes - use bisquick instead of flour. It's like a magic trick. Also, you can put roux in an ice tray and freeze it. Frozen roux cubes are a great thing to have on hand.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    There are multiple possible definitions/dimensions of "convenient". One thing that hasn't been mentioned, that - speaking only for myself - is an inconvenience of "convenience" foods that are fully prepared dishes (frozen entrees, for example: You can pretty much only eat the thing you have.

I'm a whim-oriented person. If I buy frozen lasagna or a burrito bowl, that's what I have to eat. I'd rather buy (and/or prep) some whole and semi-convenience things, like chickpea pasta, canned diced tomatoes, Ezekiel tortillas, corn tortillas, eggs, cheese, onions, salsa, beans, veggies. Only a few of those are very perishable, given a freezer. With a few things on hand, at whim I can have an omelet with veggies and cheese, a wrap sandwich, pasta with veggies and cheese, veggie chili, several types of main-dish salad, enchiladas or tostadas, . . . . etc.

None of those things take long to make, none require recipes, and - to me - it's convenient to have what sounds good to me at the time, not just one of the small number of specific frozen meals I might've bought. Also, my semi-home-made food tastes better, and makes it easier for me to hit my protein and vegetable goals at reasonable calories (frozen meals tend to be carb heavy, expecially the vegetarian ones that I need), and (compared to frozen meals I actually sort of like) cooking is cheaper.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I think historically when everyone cooked from scratch they often cooked larger amounts that would last several meals and limited menus instead of having something different every day like people expect these days.

No. Historically, my parents both came from families where they ate specific foods on specific days. They would never have the "Tuesday" meal on a Thursday or Friday. And Sunday was always something more special than the other days. Not sure they had leftovers. Seems like everything was measured to fit the number of persons in the family.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member

I think historically when everyone cooked from scratch they often cooked larger amounts that would last several meals and limited menus instead of having something different every day like people expect these days.

Honestly, I know of few cultures this would apply to. Mostly because to make big batches of something, you have to have ways to store it without it rotting. And historically that wasn’t possible for meals. Although obviously larger volume food prep for certain foods was still a thing, with dried meats, dried fruits, pemmican, smoked or salted meats and fish, etc...

Most folks I know of who grow up with food culture that is very removed from first world food practices cook every single day, and often go to market every single day.

Although I would agree that eating staple foods daily was much more common, in older food tradtions. my mother grew up in a different culture where they still churned their own butter, lived on well water, lived mostly off food you grew yourself, that sort of level of modernity. They had pretty much the same food for each meal for a season or two, because that was what you had.

She still remembers when they did a huge favor for another villager who, as a thank you, gave them some of his rhubarb crop- rare in that village- for years after. It was a huge deal for them to get a piece.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 151 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have seen a few people talk about how convenience foods - in this case meaning pre-packaged foods and meals, like mac & cheese, frozen dinners, hamburger helper, etc... - are not really 'convenient.' Basically, not easier to make, not easy to make in less time, etc..

Mind, I'm not debating whether convenience food is healthier. Convenient, in this case, is solely looking at 'easier.' The ease of getting the food ready and in our bodies, but not about what happens to our bodies once it is there. Possibly the cost, too, as I imagine it's easier in life if you have more money. :-)

I have a friend who believes that convenience foods are NOT more convenient. My friend's argument (based on his own views plus a few articles done about 5-8 years ago) was that you still had to go to the store, so that's the same amount of time, that cooking time for convenience foods vs. home cooked foods was about the same, and that people spent nearly the same time in food prep for both (in a bit of research by Margaret Beck in 2013, people spent about 10-12 minutes more prepping 'from scratch' meals vs. convenience foods).

My belief is that convenience foods are quite often very convenient. So I'm hoping a debate on this will help both myself and my friend when we talk about this next. :-)

I'm going to just put my own thoughts on this in the next post, to keep things tidier for this first post, and I look forward to hearing what folks have to say on the topic.

Your friend has obviously never made homemade macaroni and cheese from scratch vs making a box of Kraft mac n cheese :p

I use both regularly-some things like instant potatoes are way easier/faster/more convenient than making mashed potatoes from raw potatoes. Or things like homemade lasagna vs a Stouffers frozen lasagna, which you literally just throw in the oven. Other things are pretty much a wash. It really just depends on specific items/meals.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Of course convenient foods are easier...

I made lasagna for guests on Saturday night...between prep, simmering my homemade sauce, and cooking, it was about a 3 hour ordeal. I wouldn't ever do it, but I could have just bought a frozen lasagna and popped it in the oven.

Our kids really like mac 'n cheese...they usually have Annie's from the box and it takes me all of 10 minutes to make it. When I made mac 'n cheese from scratch, it's at least a 2 hour deal.

I don't generally make a lot of convenience food...I generally find them sub par to my own cooking...but most of my cooking, particularly during the work week takes me about 20-30 minutes to get dinner ready...in that regard, convenience foods are only slightly more convenient time wise.

It takes longer to get the roux started for Real Mac n Cheese than it takes cradle to grave for boxed mac.

America’s Test kitchen has a stovetop Mac & cheese that’s quite good in their 30 minute cookbook . The secret is evaporated milk. Of course nothing in the ATK 30 minute cookbook actually takes 30 minutes start to finish because I don’t yet have a personal prep cook.

Op, I agree with you that for the most part—convenience foods actually are more convenient. Everyone has their own happy place between convenience and from-scratch cooking. I think that which convenience foods are worthwhile is one of those completely subjective arguments like which foods make good leftovers. Someone who grows up eating really good homemade fried fish is a lot less likely to enjoy frozen fish sticks. Or the opposite-I don’t taste much difference between a good frozen lasagna and a decent homemade lasagna, so the time and effort aren’t worthwhile to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    What about "cook mostly from scratch, but use some pre-made ingredients for convenience's sake?" (Examples: canned tomato products, puff pastry/phyllo dough, stir-fry sauces, canned or frozen fruits and vegetables)

Yup, that's what struck me as obviously missing from the "there are three choices" thing.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    woah... now THAT'S a kid I don't want to meet in a dark alley!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    For me...

Cooking (not even from scratch, just assembling ingredients and following a recipe)
    - almost never tastes as good as something boxed/prepared.
    - almost always takes longer to "cook".
    - almost always results in more left overs that no one wants and gets thrown away.
    - is usually *slightly* cheaper.

Prepared/Prepackaged foods
    - almost always taste better
    - are almost always faster to prepare
    - are almost always more macro flexible (maybe that's because I'm more familiar/learned in how to combine/balance them)
    - are almost always more family friendly
    - are usually more expensive

Wow. Barring the costs, I have almost always found the reverse to be true. I think I just really don't like the taste of ready meals over my own cooking. They seem either to sweet or too salty or something.

I am not against "convenience" though. I will happy use dried pasta and tinned tomatoes / beans etc. It's just the ready meals I can't do with.

Plus I enjoy cooking - for me it's relaxation after a long day. Not for everyone though.

• jjpptt2
    For me...

Cooking (not even from scratch, just assembling ingredients and following a recipe)
    - almost never tastes as good as something boxed/prepared.
    - almost always takes longer to "cook".
    - almost always results in more left overs that no one wants and gets thrown away.
    - is usually *slightly* cheaper.

Prepared/Prepackaged foods
    - almost always taste better
    - are almost always faster to prepare
    - are almost always more macro flexible (maybe that's because I'm more familiar/learned in how to combine/balance them)
    - are almost always more family friendly
    - are usually more expensive

Wow. Barring the costs, I have almost always found the reverse to be true. I think I just really don't like the taste of ready meals over my own cooking. They seem either to sweet or too salty or something.

I am not against "convenience" though. I will happy use dried pasta and tinned tomatoes / beans etc. It's just the ready meals I can't do with.

Plus I enjoy cooking - for me it's relaxation after a long day. Not for everyone though.

And I think that's the subjective part of this conversation that makes it interesting. What is tasty vs bland or gross or whatever... what is easy vs tedious vs whatever... those things can vary person to person. Heck, even cost can vary a bit based on factors. Perhaps the time required to prepare the meal is the least subjective/varied aspect, but that is only 1 small part of the conversation (or at least has been for most people).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

No. Historically, my parents both came from families where they ate specific foods on specific days. They would never have the "Tuesday" meal on a Thursday or Friday. And Sunday was always something more special than the other days. Not sure they had leftovers. Seems like everything was measured to fit the number of persons in the family.

And you're certain that your family is an adequate representation of what the majority of families did "historically"?

are you sure it isn't?

my family was and is the same. extended and immediate. my friend's family were too. my inlaws too
  • jjpptt2
    mbaker566 wrote: »

And you're certain that your family is an adequate representation of what the majority of families did "historically"?

are you sure it isn't?

my family was and is the same. extended and immediate. my friend's family were too. my inlaws too

No, I'm not... which is why I didn't post in support or opposition of the claim being made. My point was simply that your n=1 (or in this case, n=50) doesn't disprove the statement. Your experience is what it is... but that' doesn't mean it's necessarily representative of the norm/majority.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    So I read about half of the posts before deciding to respond. In terms of money I can't really get behind the idea that convenience foods are cheaper. Flour, dried beans, canned tomatoes, vegetable oil, various other things that I would consider staples? Those can be bought very inexpensively. If you have enough freezer space then buying meat on sale is also a way to cut down on cost (and if you really have enough space, buying a side of an animal would be even cheaper per pound).

Time wise it's really going to depend on what you're making. If I'm short on time I can easily whip out a good but not amazing pasta sauce in 20 min using canned tomatoes, fresh garlic, various dried herbs and spices (which are pantry staples for me), and potentially some sort of meat if I have it on hand. That is cheaper than buying canned tomato sauce or some sort of frozen pasta thing. Thai curry is another meal that comes together very quickly if you have good thai curry paste. On the other hand, making tamales from scratch takes a lot of time. It's totally worth it to me but it takes a lot of time. That said, when I make tamales I also freeze most of them and, again, it is cheaper for me to make them than it is to buy frozen or fresh tamales from somewhere/someone else.

The pizza example is interesting because as long as you're able to make the dough in advance and let it rise overnight (rising time is not active cooking time) it really shouldn't take 20 minutes depending on what you're topping it with. I know for some people are truly short for time frozen food will potentially be quicker in a lot of ways (clean up being a big one), but I have no way of knowing if that's true for the majority of people who buy convenience food.

I will say though that I actually really like cooking. I do only cook for myself buy I tend to make 2-4 portions and eat the rest for leftovers. I do buy frozen corn, peas, and various types of berries (if I've run out of whatever berries I frozen over the summer). That's partially an issue of cost and also of freshness (something frozen shortly after it's been harvested in season vs something that has been sitting in the store that was grown totally out of season). I also will buy frozen duck because of the cost, though fresh tastes better. Grocery shopping also isn't something that takes a particularly long time for me nor does making a grocery list. That's especially true if I organize the list by section (all of the meats are together, all of the produce is together, all of the canned goods, etc).

I can't really think of any prepared food that tastes better out of the freezer section than what I can make from scratch. That has more to do with the quality of food in the freezer section than my own cooking skills. Again though, I like cooking and I like making food that tastes good.
  • lemurcat12

are you sure it isn't?

As jjpptt2 said, we'd neither something more than everyone's anecdotal experience.

But all those people had special meals they ate on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc., every single week? You couldn't have pot roast on Tuesday if it was the Wednesday meal or pork chops on Monday if it was supposed to be for Thursday? My experience is the opposite (again, why anecdote is not a good basis for making claims about what the majority of families did).
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

are you sure it isn't?

As jjpptt2 said, we'd neither something more than everyone's anecdotal experience.

But all those people had special meals they ate on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc., every single week? You couldn't have pot roast on Tuesday if it was the Wednesday meal or pork chops on Monday if it was supposed to be for Thursday? My experience is the opposite (again, why anecdote is not a good basis for making claims about what the majority of families did).

I remember my mom had a rough meal schedule (there were eight of us so she needed all the planning help she could get). So we'd generally have, say, fried rice on Tuesday. But if there was an activity or a sale on something else or she was out of something, she had no problems switching things around. It was a loose guide, nothing more.

(I know you said we needed more than anecdotes, but couldn't resist chiming in).

That makes more sense to me. My mom had a rotation, but it wasn't only 6 meals, and wasn't tied to any day of the week, and she'd vary based on what was in season, sales, if my dad went fishing or someone gave us fish (not uncommon), so on.

Of course, my mom also used some convenience foods and we had leftovers, although probably not as often as I now do, as I plan that in to make it easier for myself.

My mom worked full-time and hated cooking, although I didn't know that she did until later. She and my dad went hardcore into convenience options once she didn't feel like she shouldn't use them to feed her family (and because there are better options available now), and then when she was sick and less mobile my dad used them a lot since he liked cooking when it was a hobby but not when he essentially had to do it daily.

By convenience foods I don't mean fully made freezer meals, but basically relying on convenience products mixed with whole foods. She did some of that (canned soups, dried spaghetti, etc.) when I was a kid, but used many more in more recent years.