How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    stevephi01 wrote: »
    I'm tracking less than 1000 but still gaining - too low for me to close my diary, ah well a problem I'm having to work though.

Are you trying to lose? If so, you aren’t eating enough calories to lose and that’s why you’re gaining. Why so low?

No. That's not how this works.

How does it work? Anything under 1200 calories and our bodies are in starvation mode, holding on to every bit of fat.

If you're in a deficit you lose. By your logic, anorexia sufferers and prisoners of war would be obese.

Why doesn’t MFP allow settings to be under 1200 calories? I get what you’re saying as far as being in a deficit. I found this on livestrong.com

Because a 1,000-calorie diet is exceptionally low, your body might compensate by slowing down daily functions and making you feel tired so you do not overexert yourself. As a result, you burn fewer calories daily. When you initially begin a 1,000-calorie diet, you may lose weight quickly. Much of this weight comes from water and lean muscle mass. When you lose lean muscle, your body also burns fewer calories at rest – meaning you may experience an even further drop in metabolism. Usually, this creates a dieting plateau in which you feel deprived and eat very few calories, and all the while the numbers on the scale refuse to budge downward.
    If your weight loss stalls on a 1,000-calorie plan, it might be because your metabolism is slowing down and holding on to every bit of energy you put into your body. It may also be because you are actually eating more calories than you think.

MFP doesn't recommend under 1200 calories as it's difficult to provide your body with sufficient nutrients (macro and micro) to sustain basic functions eating less.

Your information explains adaptive thermogenesis, which is a thing. It does not say that if you eat low calorie you'll gain weight or hold on to fat.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If your body could "hold on" to insufficient energy, you would die -- because your body would have no energy (aka calories) for basic functions.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day, honestly. My goal to lose 2 lbs./week is 2060 but I'm consistently below that. I'm working on being more mindful of my hunger cues. And I'm working with a dietician on a weekly basis, so she's keeping an eye on my calories being lower than the goal. I have a bunch of weight to lose though, so I'm not too worried about being under.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depend on the day. sometimes i eat 1300 or 2200
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    3500 is my goal. But I usually ended up with an average of 3200 cal/day per week. Athlete with fast metabolism, so I am still pretty lean right now. Biggest struggle is to get enough calories everyday, sometimes I had to force feed myself
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    on my active days I'm at about 1400-1500 and I allow 1 day where I count my calories but eat at maintenance, so about 1900 that day
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Around 1650 net calories.
  • xFreudianSlip
    xFreudianSlip Posts: 45 Member
    Options
  • lousiabates30
    lousiabates30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1800 - 2000 at maintaining!
    I usually round up my calories to the nearest 20 and 100
    For E.g...if something is 184 calories I will round to 200

Have no idea why I do this lol, originally was in case I go over I won’t feel bad
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just curious— what is your goal weight? I’m also 5-11 and eating about 1700 kcal/day
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    5'11 male. I'm eating 1700 net calories per day (2200ish is maint).

• frankchris28
    frankchris28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1000-1300
    For 3 months my nutritionist forbade me most things, I have to lower my cholesterol, glycemia, triglycerides considerably.
    The advantage of living in a tropical country, is that I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and almost do not add up.

• TeQuieroNelly
    TeQuieroNelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 cal/day. Im losing about 1-2 ponds a week. If I don’t workout I’ll burn 1600-1800 cal/day. So, I make sure to burn at least 2300 cal/day to keep losing 1lb/week but most days I burn 2500-2700 cal/day. I’m 5’4 155lbs 23% body fat. I drink at least 125 oz water each day.
  • becarrah
    becarrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1200 to 1600
    short
    old
    female

Me too but I try to keep it around 1400.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    laura9503 wrote: »
    stevephi01 wrote: »
    I'm tracking less than 1000 but still gaining - too low for me to close my diary, ah well a problem I'm having to work though.

Are you trying to lose? If so, you aren’t eating enough calories to lose and that’s why you’re gaining. Why so low?

No. That's not how this works.

That's not true. I used to have anorexia and I experienced starvation mode during this time. I would eat about 1200 calories but run 25 miles a week with a very low weight. At one point, I suddenly started gaining weight. I made no sense to me. Then I upped my calories just enough and I started to lose again. This wasn't a good thing as I was very thin but it did show me that there is such a thing as starvation mode.

I have been recovered for about 2 years. Now I'm eating around 2200-2500 kcal and workout about 4 times a week. I'm so glad I recovered from that horrible disease and can enjoy food and working out again. It's so important to fuel your body well.

You were gaining intra and extra cellular water while quite possibly losing muscle, and bone structure and other lean mass you would not want to lose but you were not gaining net fat.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Average around 3,000kcal but usually spread out differently throughout the week...1,600-2,000 kcal day, 2,600-3,000 kcal day, 4,000-5,000 kcal day (Max 2x/week on this one)
  • travelingguy0219
    travelingguy0219 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m at 1770 per day trying to lose 1lb per week. So far so good. Trying to keep a higher intake of protein.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    etfan wrote: »
    Just curious— what is your goal weight? I’m also 5-11 and eating about 1700 kcal/day
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    5'11 male. I'm eating 1700 net calories per day (2200ish is maint).

Around 170 (I weigh a little bit over 180 currently).
  • kobun37
    kobun37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I aim for approximately 1800 calories per day. I'm female but very tall and have a heavy build. My ideal weight is somewhere between 160 and 180 (with 100 pounds to lose) and MFP initially gave me a calorie goal of 2400. I thought that was ridiculously high so I adjusted it manually and so far it seems to be working well for me. I am losing about 1.5 pounds per week on average and do not feel I am starving myself.
  • Villypierr
    Villypierr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1200 - 1400
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options