MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.69 warm up + speed work
    5/2 – 6.21 group run
    5/3 – 7.08 warm up + speed work

May running total to date – 18.98

Nominal May mileage goal: 180 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Maybe run some trails. Have fun.

Today's notes – The forecast for today called for rain. I took a light jacket to club practice, but left it in the car. On the way, the radio informed me the rain was staying offshore over Lake Ontario. I saw a few sprinkles, but not enough to get anything wet.

Unlike the past 2 days, the wind was modest. And the humidity had built in to summer levels. I really felt the 72º F (22º C) temperature. Did a short warm up, just over a mile, mostly on the trails on Cobb's Hill. The idea was to run a little trail because I have that trail half marathon in June.

The workout Coach put up for Lilac 10K was 2 or 3 times around the block, with the last 2 miles at T pace. "The block" in this case is the long way around Cobb's Hill Park, a bit short of 3 miles. I set out to run twice around the block and decide later whether I was up to running at T pace. When the watch clicked 4 miles, I took off. The first mile at T came in at 6:42, close enough to my T pace for the road; but that was mostly flat. Then I got the last of the flat and a long uphill. I didn't run enough of an out and back at the base of the hill, and I didn't get to the full 2 miles of 2 ending by going up Cobb's Hill before I ran out of steam at 1.89 miles of T pace.

Yes, I could have just kept going around the block and finished the 2 miles on the downhill. But this is a workout for Lilac 10K, and Coach knows what around the block is like. "Last 2 miles" is designed to finish uphill, just as the Lilac 10K course does. I played that aspect straight.

There were supposed to be some 100m strides after that, but I wasn't up to doing them. It was good enough for this evening. Better conditioning will come back if I keep working at it without overdoing it on any given day.

Even if I'm flaming out before finishing the workout, this is a lot better than being on injured reserve.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY)
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY)
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI)
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Trail Summit Half Marathon (Naples, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies regarding shoes in the rain. I was just worried about them getting prematurely aged from the rain and mud. But that make sense that they get worse abuse from the sweat and salt. And I guess if you let them air dry without heat it is basically like washing them.
    Thanks again for all the advice!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    5/1: ST, 1 mile dreadmill
    5/2: 3.7 miles
    5/3: 2 miles intervals

Total: 6.7/70

Upcoming races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

I did a short run today since I have dealt with 2 crisis calls since this afternoon. I figured I could complete 2 miles of intervals in a short enough time that I would hopefully not get a phone call. It was good to do some speed work. I am too used to just running, so the 250m sprints today mixed things up.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    5.4-7.1k, total-20.4k, May goal 100k

A small mountain before breakfast. I'd call it a trail, but more like a bunch of glorified stairs. Total ascent 400m.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nice run on the trail tonight when my daughter was at soccer practice. It would have been chilly if I was watching practice, but was a good temp for the run. Knee is still a bit sore even with two days off, but iced it tonight so hopefully it will go away.

Goal for May 70.5 miles

5/1 - rest
    5/2 - rest
    5/3 - 6 miles
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good luck to @PastorVincent and your wife, and @lporter229 and anyone else who is racing this weekend that I have missed. I’m excited to hear about the races.

5/1-7.67 hot and still sore from squats miles
    5/2-5.39 stupidly hot since it was snowing on Monday AM miles (yes, I complained about that too). Then weights.
    5/3-5.58 stupidly hot since it was snowing on Monday AM miles (yes, I complained about that too). Then weights. Yes, it’s the same as yesterday. Yes, I’m still complaining.

18.64 MTD

I’ll stop whining about the weather eventually.

3/3 days according to plan. Although today was close. I really was not feeling another 90+ degree run. I felt pretty rough after and wasn’t feeling the weights either. Evidently I’m exceedingly grumpy.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Goal: To reverse time with the speed of my feet. (AKA Superman II) AKA^2 The best superman.

Secondary Goal: Let everyone know I fight with depression and bi-polar disorder. Total High/Low personality.

@ctlaws44 I gave you a hug for that. :heart: I've been having psychological counselling for my anxiety. It's really helped. Sympathies from someone constantly battling with their brain. :smile:
  • apricotqueen1
    apricotqueen1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Got out yesterday for an unexpected 8.79 km, putting me at 17.6 for the month.
    It's very unlikely that I will get out today -- taking a 6-hour exam this evening!

82.4 km left to go!
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    aj3itdrqrmnu.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    New Jersey decided to skip spring and just head straight into summer, and this heat is not fun! I am a cool-weather runner by nature, and today the lowest temp we're going to see was at pre-dawn when it was 67F. I ran with my running group at 5:40 and we were sweaty and gross and breathing heavy after about a mile.

Plus it's allergy season, so after running I had to come home and wash my face to get my eyes to stop itching like crazy.

Summer heat + spring allergies... thanks, Mother Nature! :D Should cool off a bit for a longer run tomorrow morning, but I'll play it by ear. The heat messes with my heart rate/effort a lot; I was running a very easy pace this morning but my HR was still 150s and 160s when in cooler temps it would have been in the 140s.

5/1: 3.2 miles
    5/2: 3 miles
    5/3: 7 miles of Track Thursday
    5/4: 5.4 miles

Current: 18.6
    Goal miles: 150

Upcoming Races:
    5/20: Watershed Running Festival - Trail 10k - Pennington, NJ

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Muggy run this am got in an easy 7. Long run Saturday, I may break out the hydration pack for the first time this year. I don't think I'll need much water but better to be sure.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Dang...

ckqc504ww6qz.png

That is a rough range to dress for. I guess I will have to dress like it is 60?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 miles
    5/2 - 1.8 miles
    5/3 - 1.85 miles
    5/4 - 2 miles

Total: 7.65 miles

So early am speed work and my brain dont get along. I was supposed to do a 5 minute warn up followed 5 minutes in z2 then do the 3x speed work. I did 5 minute warm up then 4x speed work because I can't read my watch and forgot about the 5 minutes in z2.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That looks like perfect shorts-and-short-sleeves marathon weather to me! And if the clouds stick around? About 5 degrees warm but almost perfect!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That looks like perfect shorts-and-short-sleeves marathon weather to me! And if the clouds stick around? About 5 degrees warm but almost perfect!

Yep. I agree. Shorts and singlet all the way. Admittedly I've worn shorts and t-shirt when it's been below freezing, so I'm probably not the best judge of what to wear for the conditions.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Goal: To reverse time with the speed of my feet. (AKA Superman II) AKA^2 The best superman.

Secondary Goal: Let everyone know I fight with depression and bi-polar disorder. Total High/Low personality.

@ctlaws44 I gave you a hug for that. :heart: I've been having psychological counselling for my anxiety. It's really helped. Sympathies from someone constantly battling with their brain. :smile:

Good to hear you are making progress @Orphia I know you have struggled of late with medication so finding something that seems to be helping is really important for you.

@ctlaws44 . We’re here for you. We don’t judge.

I think this might be my first post in the May thread, and we’re on page 14. April kind of fell apart towards the end as after my dance weekend in Vilnius I struggled to get back into things.

I’m now about 8 weeks from my first marathon and am seriously under-trained. I still want to do it, but need to start making a decision. I was never going to run the whole thing anyway. I too have been suffering under a cloud. I thought it was just tiredness, but I’ve had a massively busy week this week AND limited sleep yet am feeling more positive, so I can pretty much discount that as the sole cause. But I’ve got out for a few runs to get myself back on track. Yesterday I did 7 miles before heading into London for a four hour meeting, finally made it home after delayed trains then fell straight into bed. I figured the long run was a good plan, but then walked another five miles in heels, so now all kinds of muscles in my legs are hurting.

I’m off camping for the bank holiday weekend. It’s with a group of people I’ve never met, whose stated aim is to Say Yes More to things. I’m hoping this will be the kick up the backside I need. Sunday we are doing a walk, but I am going to run, sheepdog back, and do it my way to get another run in.

Monday is for sleeping.

Re: blood doning. Learnt the hard way about not running after doning. I can donate in the UK despite having had a blood transfusion (cut-off 1st Jan 1980, mine was prior to this) and despite having eaten beef. I wouldn’t be able to donate in the US, Canada or most other countries as I’m so very tainted. Although I’m currently under medical investigation so can’t donate anyway.

@midwesterner85 – over here, you would not be allowed to donate due to the potential risk to YOUR health when donating (affecting insulin levels in the blood) rather than to anyone else.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have not set my May goal yet because I have no clue. May is typically a low mileage month for me because after my marathon, I usually take some down time to catch up with life and May is such a busy month in that regard. I am going to be ambitious here with a goal of 90 miles, but only because I should have around 35 after week one.

Yesterday I did my final speed before Sunday's race, although it was an abridged version. I did the run with a pal from my training group, but I typically do the speed workouts alone. It was hot out and we agreed to take it easy. I thought that's what we were doing, but when we finished he told me I really pushed him, which caught me a little by surprise. With no real race goal in mind and being my first time training with a group, I have felt like I have been kind of slacking through this training cycle. Maybe I am better prepared than I thought. I hope so. Race forecast temperatures have been rising every day. I am very glad for the 6:30 start!

5/1-5 miles (3 @ tempo)

5/90

Good luck in Cincinnati!