Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I need advice from the previous injured. My injured thread seems dead, I'm all alone over thare. Which is a good thing.

Ok. I had ITBS surgery (hip) and it's been killing me this week. I think I over did it walking hills this last weekend. I emailed the PA, honestly included my uphill activity.

My reply from him was:

"Keep doing the stretches and exercises you know to do from the rehab routine, and this should just sort itself out. If pain increases, despite the stretching daily and twice weekly strenghtening along with 5 days weekly aerobic activity, call us back for a recheck sooner than you are already scheduled.
    Thanks"

"5 days aerobic activity"? FIVE? I'm at zero. Okay I need to do the PT, work gets in the way and I have slacked. I can fix that.

Do I wait until I am up to 5 days of aerobic activity with out increased pain before I decide I need to be seen? So? Run (one minute, two minute...) through this? Suck it up?

I don't go back until July 23.

I is no doc! However, since you have yet to follow the PT's orders, I would first try to do with they said to do before I did anything else. Listen to your body the whole time, if it seems like something is wrong as you ramp up to the directions, stop and call them again.

Again, I is no doc! I do not even play one on TV! So YMMV, IMO, and ETC. :)

I do the daily stretches prescribed. I can not not do those. I haven't kept on the bike (was trading it for some running/walking time), was in San Antonio last week (which I still got on the TM), hurt this week.

So I've not dismissed the PT, except the last 2 weeks. I've been very diligent with the PT through this. I tried to do some strengthening 2 days ago, but it cause too much pain.

Sure I can do more clamshells, lunges ect. Just not currently with this pain.

No swimming. Lazy. And kicking with hip pain kinda sucks.

I'm on the verge of back spasms. How much PT can I do?

Sorry, your prior post sound like you were not doing the PT instructions - yet another reason you should not take advice from some random dude on the internet :lol:

If you are at least mostly following directions and you feel your condition is deteriorating, then I would call them and ask if you should change something or come in.

Ya thanks. Sorry if my original post wasnt clear. PT can always be done better, and I diminished how much I have done, except the last few weeks. I got stellar remarks with my PT, PA and my surgeon with how well I'm doing. Ahead of the curve, better than expected at this time.

I'll keep stretching, do the strengthening that I can do. Get back on the bike -probably the "aerobic activity" he referred to. I remember @7lenny7 had a bit of a set back and had to do some exercise to reinforce that the glutes do their jobs. Maybe mines forgotten again. Maybe I shouldn't have walked that hill 4 times.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

See... I just knew there was a benefit somewhere to being medically disqualified from donating blood (because of the potential "mad cow disease" - not joking).

I believe you! I was disqualified for many years before the mad cow restriction period was changed. Then I was disqualified because of a bisexual ex-boyfriend, but that was changed not to long ago, too.

Not sure about you, but there is no "restriction period" in my case - it is a lifetime ban because I took beef insulin a very long time ago.

That makes sense. I had been DQed by the restriction against having lived in Western Europe for certain lengths of time. Now it's five years total since 1980 or six months total between 1980 and 1996 but it used to be broader.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all the runners this weekend! @PastorVincent - hope you meet your goal!
    Super busy at school so may not be able to check in tomorrow. I can't wait until the AP Comp Sci and AP Comp Sci Principles exams are OVER! They are a week later than normal and even though more review time is nice, these seniors are done!

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training W12-A
    5/2 - 4 miles + Cycling 22 fast miles
    5/3 - strength training W12-B
    5/4 - Rest day

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I need advice from the previous injured. My injured thread seems dead, I'm all alone over thare. Which is a good thing.

Ok. I had ITBS surgery (hip) and it's been killing me this week. I think I over did it walking hills this last weekend. I emailed the PA, honestly included my uphill activity.

My reply from him was:

"Keep doing the stretches and exercises you know to do from the rehab routine, and this should just sort itself out. If pain increases, despite the stretching daily and twice weekly strenghtening along with 5 days weekly aerobic activity, call us back for a recheck sooner than you are already scheduled.
    Thanks"

"5 days aerobic activity"? FIVE? I'm at zero. Okay I need to do the PT, work gets in the way and I have slacked. I can fix that.

Do I wait until I am up to 5 days of aerobic activity with out increased pain before I decide I need to be seen? So? Run (one minute, two minute...) through this? Suck it up?

I don't go back until July 23.

I is no doc! However, since you have yet to follow the PT's orders, I would first try to do with they said to do before I did anything else. Listen to your body the whole time, if it seems like something is wrong as you ramp up to the directions, stop and call them again.

Again, I is no doc! I do not even play one on TV! So YMMV, IMO, and ETC. :)

I do the daily stretches prescribed. I can not not do those. I haven't kept on the bike (was trading it for some running/walking time), was in San Antonio last week (which I still got on the TM), hurt this week.

So I've not dismissed the PT, except the last 2 weeks. I've been very diligent with the PT through this. I tried to do some strengthening 2 days ago, but it cause too much pain.

Sure I can do more clamshells, lunges ect. Just not currently with this pain.

No swimming. Lazy. And kicking with hip pain kinda sucks.

I'm on the verge of back spasms. How much PT can I do?

Sorry, your prior post sound like you were not doing the PT instructions - yet another reason you should not take advice from some random dude on the internet :lol:

If you are at least mostly following directions and you feel your condition is deteriorating, then I would call them and ask if you should change something or come in.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    personally, i'd commit to the PT for 5 days, then evaluate but i'm a suck it up sorta girl

Me too. I think that may have gotten me where I am. I sucked it too long :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Oops @PastorVincent My post got out of order. Go back. And thanks for the support!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My knee is not cooperating! Significant pain after my last jog, not sure why-- same old route.

Also, my local pool is closed for too much clorine, yuk!

Killing my stats!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles

A slow 6 miles. My legs still felt tired from yesterday’s run. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish, but sure enough by 4 miles I felt good.

Tomorrow I’m scheduled for 13, but I’m going to only do 12. My son has a field trip and I want to join him for lunch!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

See... I just knew there was a benefit somewhere to being medically disqualified from donating blood (because of the potential "mad cow disease" - not joking).

I believe you! I was disqualified for many years before the mad cow restriction period was changed. Then I was disqualified because of a bisexual ex-boyfriend, but that was changed not to long ago, too.

Not sure about you, but there is no "restriction period" in my case - it is a lifetime ban because I took beef insulin a very long time ago.

That makes sense. I had been DQed by the restriction against having lived in Western Europe for certain lengths of time. Now it's five years total since 1980 or six months total between 1980 and 1996 but it used to be broader.

I'm another 'mad cow' who's not allowed to donate. I was born in England more years ago than I care to admit, and lived there until 2007 when I moved to the States.

Still on a big fat zero miles for May. My calf feels fine, but I'm giving it a full week's rest and then it's going to be a few slow, steady runs until my HM on the 19th.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I'm another 'mad cow' who's not allowed to donate. I was born in England more years ago than I care to admit, and lived there until 2007 when I moved to the States.

Still on a big fat zero miles for May. My calf feels fine, but I'm giving it a full week's rest and then it's going to be a few slow, steady runs until my HM on the 19th.

I'm also a "mad cow" that's not allowed to donate. USA. My paternal grandfather died of CJD, so having a blood relative I can't.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7

Another little run today, this time on the treadmill because it was raining and I had circuit training right after and didn't want to be soaked. I took it pretty easy because yesterday's workout featured sprinting - and I didn't know what today's would bring. Turns out we did a bit of running in that too. One part was kind of fun - we had a big stretchy band around two of us and the front person had to try to run/sprint around the track while the back person provided resistance and tried to hold them back. It was fun in the back, but man was it hard as the front person. Quite a new running sensation!

Tomorrow is a much anticipated rest day, and then long run on Saturday which right now looks like a gorgeous day weather wise.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    Going back a couple pages on weather talk - ya'll have inspired me. I'm going to go run outside in the thunderstorm.

So this brings up a question I have had for a while....Do you reserve a special pair of shoes to use when running in the rain? I can't bring myself to run in pouring rain (and probably mud) in my $120+ shoes.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Going back a couple pages on weather talk - ya'll have inspired me. I'm going to go run outside in the thunderstorm.

So this brings up a question I have had for a while....Do you reserve a special pair of shoes to use when running in the rain? I can't bring myself to run in pouring rain (and probably mud) in my $120+ shoes.

All of my shoes are muddy now. Comes from running outside during the Thaw. Embrace the mud.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Re: donating blood, I did that a couple of weeks ago and I definitely noticed a performance drop. I will not donate again until fall when most of my races are done. I am O+ so they call me a lot if I've gone a while without donating.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 2.38 km
    5/3 - 6.23 km

8.61/115 km

I stopped to stretch about every 800m for the first half of my run today and that seems to have made a big difference in soreness. Also my calves are ridiculously tight so I'm going to open the Amazon box I got back in February that should have a foam roller in it, look up some YouTube videos on how to use it, and see about loosening up those muscles.

Or maybe it was the shoes, although the ones I wore today are older and have more km on them than the ones I wore yesterday.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish
    7/1/18 Canada Day 5K or 15K?
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I did not, but wish I had worn my old trail shoes (with Gore-Tex). My socks got soaked from a deep puddle within the first 1/2 mile and only got worse from there.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Nope. I worry more about making sure I have good socks. Which reminds me I better boy new socks before Sunday!!!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

As a distance runner, I regard shoes as consumable items. I keep 3 pair of Saucony Kinvaras in rotation, and when it rains I wear whichever pair is up next in the rotation.

Exception: I took only 2 pair of Kinvaras to Boston, and I chose to go run 26.2 miles in the rain in the pair that was not next in rotation because the other pair was clean and the pair I wore had some small mud spots on it. I walked through deep squishy mud in Athletes' Village, ran the race entirely in the rain (mostly on asphalt), and got the shoes dry by Wednesday morning. At that point I noticed that they were cleaner than they were when I left home.

No, I didn't pay $120 for that pair of shoes; but that's because I buy old models or current model just before the new model will come out. But regardless of whether I paid $65 or $90 for the shoes (plus another $30-$35 for the Superfeet inserts), I don't regard running shoes as fashion accessories. They are meant to be functional, which means running in them in whatever conditions the weather throws at me.

It's probably more important that I wear my Darn Tough wool socks when it rains than my newest or oldest Kinvaras in rotation; but sooner or later, every pair of running shoes I own is going to get soaked. If they don't get soaked in a rain shower, they'll get soaked in my sweat from running in the summer. I'd rather deal with the rainwater, but I have to deal with whatever happens.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6.51 miles in the rain tonight. Not as fast as I wanted on some of the strides... I'm just slow. :(

exercise.png