May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

A colleague of mine kept his head down and waited for retirement. Six months later he was diagnosed with a brain tumour and a few weeks late he went into a hospice. He died about a year after he retired. What felt particularly unfair was that another friend was diagnosed with a fast growing brain tumour, and lasted eight YEARS before succumbing shortly after my colleague.

At the time I told myself I’d run a marathon for both of them. Because I could. (I started trying to be healthier because of my sisters MS diagnosis). This is why, even undertrained I want to do what I promised to do at the graveside of a friend.

Tomorrow is a gift if we wake up to it. And tomorrow will be easier on us all if we take care of the body we inhabit. We are amazing beings. We are capable of so much. We just need to remember to try.

With only 8 weeks to train, unless you plan on walking the whole thing, you might want to consider a marathon that is a bit farther away. I doubt your colleague and your friend would want you getting hurt on their account. You can still do it, just maybe not so soon?

Only you know how you really are though, so I could be reading too much into your posts. Do what you feel you can handle. I am sure they will understand the date slipping and be happy you did not push yourself too hard.

Whatever you decide, your MFP buddies are with you. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui are you anywhere near the erupting volcano? Thinking about you.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - stay safe! The pictures we are seeing are amazing and terrifying!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles
    5/4 12miles

12 miles yesterday morning. It was 70 degrees and sunny. I'm pretty sure it was even warmer by the end of my run. I ran on the roads so there wasn't much shade. I had to refill my hydration pack towards the end of the run. I'm going to start filling it with ice so that it melts as I run!

I have to head out and do 5 miles today. I wonder if I should tack on an extra mile since I was supposed to do 13 yesterday and only did 12... we have a party this afternoon, then a swim meet this evening. I probably should do the extra mile to counter the extra food I'll most likely end up eating!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K

5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 miles
    5/2 - 1.8 miles
    5/3 - 1.85 miles
    5/4 - 2 miles
    5/5 - 2 miles

Total: 9.65 miles

Slowly picking up speed with the HR training. 5/2, 5/3 and today were all the same foundation run. It was still fairly cool this morning despite the expected high to be 102. I think the tomorrow will be harder to keep in Zone 2 for 4.5 miles rather than the 20 minutes I've had so far. But I'm up for the challenge!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 and @HonuNui Stay safe :heart:

Group question.
    What's your cross training regimen? Goals? Actions?
    ?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent very impressed you were able to hold yourself back! I'm sure that will benefit you tomorrow. Glad to see it was a family affair. Good luck tomorrow.
    @HonuNui glad you are safe.
    @DawnBarstow congrats on your parkrun. Glad you had a good time.
    @huntleigh3229 nice PB on your parkrun.
    All you racing this weekend: give 'em hell.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I love doing 5ks before a race. I always use it as a SUPER easy slow run and then collect ALL the medals. LOL
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @CMorning99 and @HonuNui Stay safe :heart:

Group question.
    What's your cross training regimen? Goals? Actions?
    ?

Currently, I lift weights, try to do yoga, and walk. I want to start bike riding again but I am working to convince DH that we need an exercise bike. :D Or I need to find a place to take my 15+ year old bike to have it looked at because it's been basically hanging in my garage since I moved in (2009).