Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I've been stalking the weather forecast for Sunday. So far it looks to be pretty good. Low 50s at the start then warming up to the high 70s, but hopefully I will be done before then. There is a chance of thunderstorms later in the day which worries me because out weather people often miss the timing on those kinds of things. Oh well, I will be running either way. Can hardly complain after what @MobyCarp dealt with in Boston and @MNLittleFinn and @7Lenny7 at Zumbro, right?

Another runner told me the weather is a neutral factor. On race day, everyone gets the same weather. I maintain that runners who trained in the weather that shows up on race day have an advantage. The more extreme the weather is, the greater the advantage for having trained in it.

At Boston, I had a HUGE advantage over everyone who let rain drive them indoors to run on a dreadmill. Among other things, I knew precisely what I wanted to wear in that weather. No floppy plastic bags for me.

Of course this only matters if you are competing with the other runners. I have no delusions of placing in my age group in this large race, so my only goal is to have fun running it. It's likely to be a lot more fun if it's not thunder storming.

But to your point, I totally agree. Although it wasn't very extreme, I know the heat at Boston affected some runners last year (2017). I had made a point of doing some of my training runs in the mid afternoon because I hadn't been acclimated to the heat after training through the winter. I am pretty sure that was a wise move because, even though I wasn't running for a PR and was nearly 15 minutes slower than my qualifying time, I still finished over 6000 spots ahead of where I started.

I think it matters even if you're not competing with others. Attitude is everything and if you've trained in the same terrible conditions as race day, then you can draw on that experience, be confident in your ability to perform, and go about the race with a better attitude.

Now if you try to train in terrible conditions but quit halfway through the run and go home, that of course wouldn't be a confidence booster.

Oh, I definitely agree about the mental preparedness. I did not shy away from training in bad weather at all during this cycle, so I am prepared for whatever the running gods throw my way. But that doesn't meant that i can't hope for a perfect day, right?

As for bailing on a race halfway through to go home, if that means getting home alive and in once piece, then I would say that should be a huge confidence booster!

@pastorvincent- My race day forecast is similar, only about 5 degrees warmer, but my start is at 6:30. I am wearing shorts and a singlet, but I will take a long sleeve tee from my "Goodwill" pile to throw away on the course (in most big races they have boxes for this along the course and volunteers collect and wash the clothing and donate it). The tee will mostly be to keep me warm prior to the race start and will likely be discarded early, so just any old cotton tee should be fine. I also deal with the Reynauds thing, so I will have a cheap dollar store pair of cotton gloves at the start as well. Good luck to you and your wife this weekend! I can't wait to run Pittsburgh sometime soon!
  • lporter229
    Options
    @zerlinna87 -Fantastic job on your 5k!

@Orphia-you ARE awesome!
  • lporter229
    Options
    5/1-5 miles (3 @ tempo)
    5/2-P90X3 Isometrix+1.3 miles with Stella
    5/3-4.3 easy miles

10.6/90

Easy run last night. Got a little more practice in with dealing with heat and humidity though. Stretching and walking today, then short shake out run downtown after packet pick up tomorrow.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    So three days out from marathon... in case there are any stalkers, my bib number is 53517 ( http://www.thepittsburghmarathon.com/runnertracking )

This will be my wife's first marathon and she is very much worried about completing it, but I think she will be fine. She will be running probably a 13 min pace. Her bib is : 53518

I think I have my sub-4 plan about worked out. I am going to steal a bicycle! :lol:

More seriously, I ordered one of those fancy Race Tattoos ( AMAZON LINK) for a 3:55 Marathon. That should solve one of my big problems. When I see a mile sign (like say 15) I have no idea what time I should see as I pass it (and I always lose track of the pacer). I have already proven I can not do math while running so figuring it out on my feet is a bad plan. This means I do not really know if I am behind or ahead no matter what the clock says. With this tattoo, I plan to just shoot to stay ahead of where it says I should be.

So I figure I will find the 3:50 pacer (8:50 min/mile) and stick with them for the start. With the new course, the first half is the flattest easiest section of the route. This worries me a little since it will make it really easy to start too fast. At around mile 13 there is a nasty hill that I was not ready for the last two marathons. I think I am ready for it this year.

My hope is that I will hit 20 miles by around 2:50 - 2:55. If I do, I should be able to hold that pace all the way to the finish. If not, there is a substantial downhill in the last section and I will push for negative splits.

Once across I will get food and drink, rest a little, then follow the course backward to find my wife. She will be a good 90-120 minutes behind me I figure. Once I meet up with her I will jog in with her. I have down this at every race where timing allowed for it, but this might be the hardest one ever to pull that off at. :open_mouth:

I will carry with me Clifbok and water, plus take advantage of the Gatorade at rest stops. Right now it looks like temps will be in the low 50s with low humidity at race start but climb quickly. So hydration will be a big factor.

Anyways, it is a plan at least. Not sure if it is a good one, but it is a plan. :lol:

Good luck Pastor Vincent. I'm leaving for Pittsburgh in a couple of hours. Maybe I will see you there!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else in the t-shirt and shorts. I wear tanks and capris in those temps. I warm up pretty quickly when working out though. Any other time? Freezing. HAHA
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1 = 6 hot and humid lunch miles
    5/2 = 3 miles and 30 minutes strength training
    5/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3 slow miles with my dog
    5/4 = 6 miles

Has anyone ever done a Tough Mudder race? Experiences? I have a crazy friend trying to convince me to register with her for one in November.

May Goal Miles = 140 / May Miles to date = 18
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Kind of hectic getting ready for vacation (we leave for Mexico tomorrow AM for a week where any running will be done on the resort's treadmill). Finally have a goal for May (it's low) of 50 miles.

May 1 - Rest
    May 2 - Rest
    May 3 - Rest
    May 4 - 3 (FINALLY)

@PastorVincent Just also want to send you all the best for the marathon on Sunday. You're totally gonna be awesome and crush it!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I hope you get perfect weather too!
    @orphia you are definitely awesome!
    @zerlinna87 congrats on the 5k! Is it possible that you changed your stride somewhat to account for the tendinitis, and that caused your ankle and hip to hurt?
  • lporter229
    Options
    @AlphaHowls -Thanks!

@7Lenny7- Stella struggled on our run the other night too. She is definitely feeling the effects of the heat and humidity. I am sure it will take some time to get re-adjusted. I also reminded my husband yesterday that it's still kind of early in the season for these temps and she is still in the process of shedding her winter coat, so she is probably even hotter than we realize. She doesn't get the choice to dress appropriately for the weather...her biology just tells her how it's going to be!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Good call on turning back.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I should have taken our river route. There's nothing like a swim to cool down a dog, and it's 2 miles away so there's time to dry before we get home. Next time. Run well this weekend!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    5/1 = 6 hot and humid lunch miles
    5/2 = 3 miles and 30 minutes strength training
    5/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3 slow miles with my dog
    5/4 = 6 miles

Has anyone ever done a Tough Mudder race? Experiences? I have a crazy friend trying to convince me to register with her for one in November.

May Goal Miles = 140 / May Miles to date = 18

Yes, I have. In fact, that’s what got me started with this running lark. I started c25k to ‘train’ for it, did the Tough Mudder and was shocked about how much I needed to run at the start, got through the 12 miles of the event four hours later and figured I ought to train more if I wanted to do another. Could barely move after.
    It’s very much a team event, and there are some obstacles where you CANNOT do them without help. Everyone will help you though, even if you don’t have your own team. You’ll be fine on the running side, as the running is broken up by obstacles, but what you’ll want to work on is upper body strength. You’ll need that. And a gritted teeth mentality. The live wires electrifying you is not pleasant. I say that as someone who was hit several times, in the buttocks and kidneys, and after getting finally clean towards the end, was mightily annoyed to then get faceplanted by ten thousand volts and a mouthful of mud.
    That said, it WAS fun. I’ve done a different obstacle race since, and preferred it, as the obstacles were more of a ‘challenge’ than out to get you. There is nothing so malicious as electrocution. A couple of the obstacles were mind issues too – swimming a tunnel under a cage with barely enough room to get air springs to mind.
    If you like a challenge, go for it. They’re not cheap events though!!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 sounds like the right call. My husband just got rollerblades and the oldest kid is working on ditching training wheels so we just have to get the 3 year old moving a little faster somehow and then I want to do one run a week as a family activity.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Dang...

ckqc504ww6qz.png

That is a rough range to dress for. I guess I will have to dress like it is 60?

Singlet and shorts. You might not need sunscreen.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 you are a smart man. That is exactly what I should do more often.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Pastorvincent I'm not as experienced as a runner, but for those temps., I would go with shorts, light shirt, and ball cap.

This is my experience: There was a HM once where we parked and took buses to the starting line pre-dawn. We waited for about 1-2 hrs. as more and more buses kept coming in. In the meantime, they had coffee and raffle prizes and such for those of us waiting (to keep us entertained). We could also leave drop bags, but I just wore my standard outfit (see profile pic - different race, same outfit). Pre-dawn, it was 40's, but lots of people standing around and coffee. I didn't bring anything extra aside from gloves (put in pocket along the way). Some people were shivering, but I was only a little cold. By the time I finished, it was 70's.