May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso With all that, are you training 7 days a week?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 running 6, lifting 3, daily walks. I am running in the morning and lifting after work. I'd bike after work as well. Monday is my rest day and I just walk and do yoga.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Group question.
    What's your cross training regimen? Goals? Actions?
    ?

Nothing really, for about 9 months out of the year, if I am not at work, I am out in the yard. 1.5 acres, landscaped, so many different kinds of plants and things to do. No goals really, just want to run. I bought a bike during the winter and a friend is going to help me learn the ins and outs about it.

• Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 running 6, lifting 3, daily walks. I am running in the morning and lifting after work. I'd bike after work as well. Monday is my rest day and I just walk and do yoga.

Diggin' it. I put together a plan and it's 6-7 days a week. Bike 2-3, swim 2, and run/walk 4-5. No weights yet as I'm not sure I'm cleared to do lower body weights yet.

Personally my goal is to sneak up on a triathlon. :smiley:

Group-Other cross training goals? Y'all should have them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I love doing 5ks before a race. I always use it as a SUPER easy slow run and then collect ALL the medals. LOL

Yep - Medal for the 5k, a medal for the marathon, a medal for completing both! 3 Medals for only two races. Pretty good exchange rate :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 and @HonuNui Stay safe :heart:

Group question.
    ?

In addition to runnung I do yoga 5 days a week. I walk some too, but my dogs are getting older and the walks are usually at a very leisurely pace.

@pastorvincent Congrats on the slow 5K. Good luck tomorrow!
  • apricotqueen1
    apricotqueen1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Got out for a long 13.06 km this evening. I really needed the movement today after such a long in front of the computer yesterday.
    Now at 30.7 for the month with 69.3 left to goal. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I actually stopped the Garmin before I stopped the Nike App today, I'm using the Nike miles, since, well, it was the "cool down" back to the house, & when saw I was so close to the .50 miles, I admit it, I did run a bit to make up the "even" number. Would so love to be able to synch the 2 apps, would be so much easier!

May Goal: 20 Miles

5/2: 2.03 miles
    2/5: 2.50 miles - 4.53 miles done, 15.47 to go

You can:

HOW DO I SHARE MY GARMIN WORKOUT DATA WITH NIKEPLUS?
    http://support-en-eu.nikeplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57512
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7
    05/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.7
    05/05/18 :::: 7.5 :::: 16.2

Just beautiful day for long run this morning. The crowd was smaller than expected given the weather because there is a big local race tomorrow. I'm not doing it because it is very hilly and no one has convinced me yet that it is more fun than torture. Maybe next year. :)

@Elise4270
    Group question.
    What's your cross training regimen? Goals? Actions??

Currently my cross-training is 2 days a week of hybrid circuit training with a personal training group, which is a combo of strength and some cardio/endurance. Lots of working on core strength. The last two weeks I've been doing it 3 days a week to make up for missed classes and that is a bit much for me. I also walk every day, usually about an hour, with the dog. I run 6 days a week with one of those a speed workout, one long run and the rest easy base runs.

Once I start the marathon training program the beginning of June I will probably cut back the circuit training so I can up my miles. I'd like to keep it up as much as I can though because I think it's making a big difference for me.

My goal is to survive marathon training and actually survive the marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Group question.
    ?

For a while, I was hitting the free weights targeting core and upper body only. I called the plan my "anti t-rex" plan (massive legs, tiny arms) and I was planning to get to the point where I could pull myself up out of a hole if I fell in. But I fell off the bandwagon and need to get back on... somehow.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Group question.
    ?

For a while, I was hitting the free weights targeting core and upper body only. I called the plan my "anti t-rex" plan (massive legs, tiny arms) and I was planning to get to the point where I could pull myself up out of a hole if I fell in. But I fell off the bandwagon and need to get back on... somehow.

Just pull yourself up out of the hole? {ducking and running}
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    My cross-training:
    - home weight machine (various exercises that I cycle through) plus small handheld weights, medicine ball: I aim for 3x/week and am slowly increasing reps/weights over time, but no real plan other than just do it.
    - Cycling: winter's over so I'll be ramping up to 2-3 rides a week (minimum 45 minutes, can include biking to/from work) sometimes on the same day as a run.
    - Pilates or other videos I can do at home, exercise ball stuff: whenever I have a cross-training day but don't want to go outside, so pretty sporadic
    - Other random stuff, like swimming, hiking, or whatever crazy ideas friends come up with (trampoline class), also sporadic

Basically running is my main thing, and I'm typically following some sort of Hal Higdon plan, fitting the cross-training in as secondary to the running goals and necessary recovery days. I may mix things up for the summer though. But I'll still post here, because the cycling groups are way out of my league.

I ran Thursday but didn't update the ticker. Yesterday and today I worked all day and was on my feet and moving stuff around (boxes of food, sound equipment, etc) but didn't run. With marathon a week away, I'm somewhere between freaking out and getting into my "zone".

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Group question.
    ?

@Elise4270 I run 5-7 days a week, depending on personal schedule and stoke level. I am trying to also lift twice a week. Then I just try to hit a decent step goal most days. And I try to do stretching/rolling/light yoga ~3 days a week at LEAST to keep my legs from getting horrendously tight and flirting with injury.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Wow! Awesome to see so many finding balance! I'm so encouraged!

@MobyCarp Yes, I meant cross training to support running and avoid injury. I started off obsessed with only running, refusing to even consider that I should be balancing my running by supporting other muscle groups.

I'm so happy to see so many aren't making the same mistake I made.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    MAY GOALS, REHAB SMART, 10 hours of activity for the month. Work up to 3 minutes of running.

4---30 minutes stationary bike.
    4---68 minutes, 3.46 miles walk
    5---30 minutes bike, 7.25 miles
    5---22 minutes, 1.70 miles PT run (1,1)my first brick

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    April 28 2019 OKC memorial marathon (half)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    5/1: ST, 1 mile dreadmill
    5/2: 3.7 miles
    5/3: 2 miles intervals
    5/4: ST
    5/5: 4.1 miles

Total: 10.8/70

Upcoming races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

Got in a little over 4 slow miles today. I think I am going to try to get up before I go in to do rounds at work tomorrow and run while it is a little cooler.

@Elise4270 I run 4 days per week. I do strength training two days per week, and I will usually walk for a bit on the treadmill after. I also get in some walking with my dogs. I used to go to a weekly yoga class, but I haven’t been lately. I need to get back into it though.