May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Thinking about taking up swimming, mostly because SO likes it but hates being in the pool alone. Got ear infections when I was a kid and haven't seen the inside of a pool since. We'll see.

I had ear infections often as a kid too. I even had speech therapy for 3+ years. I use ear plugs now. Before i was diligent about putting isopropyl alcohol in my ears after every swim (esp when i took the kids to the lake all the time). You can also add a few drops of white vinegar with the alcohol to ward off fungus and infections. Or buy the premade Swim Ear stuff.

Great advice! Will look into both.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Race forecast wutsubzvdr31.png

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Race forecast

Good thing you got the rain gear. And it won't be hot after all.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Elise4270 — My training schedule has 4 runs, 2 strength days, and 1 active rest or light cross-training day. The Strength day has a combo of bodyweight, machines, and free weights, as well as 20 minutes on the rowing machine or bike. The rest/cross-training day includes leisurely biking, swimming, or hiking.

After my next 5K I may drop a running day and add another bike or swim to prep for an event I have planned for July 4th with my dad (74 y.o) and my oldest child (21 y.o.) - 500m swim, 10m bike, 3m run, and canoeing back to the start. I may be the only one who does all three, but we’ll all get the burgers and beer at the end. :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent crossed 4.4 mile 37:42, 8:34 per mile. I'd feel better about him breaking 4 hours if it were more like 8:45 per mile; OTOH, looks like great running weather, and he knows the course pretty well.

ETA: I'll miss the critical text alerts when my phone is on Do Not Disturb for church; but I'll see them afterwards.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Pittsburgh Marathon:
    @PastorVincent crossed the 10 Mile at 08:45
    Course time: 01:24:55
    Pace: 08:30 min/mi
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Pittsburgh Marathon:
    @PastorVincent crossed the 10 Mile at 08:45
    Course time: 01:24:55
    Pace: 08:30 min/mi

That's 8:30 per mile averaged over 10 miles, faster for the second 5 miles. I hope he has it today, but I'm concerned this is too fast for that early when the goal is a 4 hour marathon.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Pittsburgh Marathon:
    @PastorVincent crossed the 13.1 Mile at 09:12
    Course time: 01:51:40
    Pace: 08:32 min/mi
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent has a very steady pace so far! I hope he can maintain that.

But like @MobyCarp I'm concerned. When your target is 4 hours and half way you're on pace for just over 3...
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    The texts are quoting average pace for race to date. I get 8:37 pace for the 5K between 10 miles and the half. If that's a deliberate moderation of pace and @PastorVincent can settle into it, his chances of breaking 4 hours are pretty good. If it's a slowdown compelled by physical condition, not so much.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    2:13:01 at 15.5 miles, average pace 8:35 for race to date and 8:54 for the 2.4 miles from 13.1 to 15.5.

A nail biter, for sure. If it's deliberate, the recent pace is a good one for @PastorVincent to sustain.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Pittsburgh Marathon:
    @PastorVincent crossed the 20 Mile at 10:14
    Course time: 02:54:21
    Pace: 08:44 min/mi
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @orphia - love the shirt! Got to get one!
    @shanber - beautiful pictures!
    @7lenny7 - OK, so you can’t ask your wife about the running… but can we? :) I hope she gets addicted like we all are!
    @mobycarp - wow, love the cross training you do! That is perfect. And I agree if you don't like specific core work you are still getting it in with what you are doing.

I started out with walking. Then running and about 6 months later lifting. Then about a year later cycling.
    Now I’m seriously addicted to all 3. The lifting is really moving up in the list at the moment.

All of this started because of the book Younger Next Year. On the website they have a warm up plan that I highly
    recommend. It took me about 20 minutes to do it at first but now I’m much faster. I do it before every run and before cycling. I sometimes do the whole thing before lifting but not always because my current lifting plan has a warmup in it.

I started the warm up plan in July last year and I have to say it has made a different in injuries. I had a lot of butt pain and that hasn’t happened in a long time. I have had a foot problem but I don’t think any stretching would help this foot problem.

The warmup is here: https://www.youngernextyear.com/ and then click CheatSheets on the right and warm up plan. I know I've plugged it before but for the new people. :wink:

I am a high school teacher and many times I teach siblings of kids that I taught years ago in my classes. At open house in August this year, the mom of a current student (I taught her two older kids who graduated 7 and 4 years ago) said to me “I swear every time I see you at open house you look younger!” Of course I told her about the book!
    The only negative thing about the book is that he doesn't really like running so much (at least in the first book). But I of course do what I want anyway and plan on running forever!

Rainy day here in Orlando.. so may hop on treadmill later ... already lifted!

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training W12-A
    5/2 - 4 miles + Cycling 22 fast miles
    5/3 - strength training W12-B
    5/4 - Rest day
    5/5 - 44 miles cycling
    5/6 - strength training W12-C +TBD

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    He did it! Congratulations @PastorVincent!

Pittsburgh Marathon:
    @PastorVincent crossed the Finish at 11:12
    Course time: 03:51:53
    Pace: 08:51 min/mi

THAT'S AWESOME!!!! Congrats @PastorVincent !!!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Way to go @PastorVincent. Knew you could do it.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Awesome @PastorVincent!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Logging in from my car in the grocery store parking lot to check for @PastorVincent updates! Great result!

4m this morning.

May tally: 14.1m