May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It's the shoes. Definitively. I'm annoyed about that. But at least today's run was completely pain free...

Feeling a bit deconditioned today though. It might be because we went from winter to summer with no in-between period. Also Garmin keeps telling me I'm overdoing it and going to kill myself even though these runs are easier than what I was running just 2 weeks ago. Meh.
    @sarahthes - I had a feeling it might be - this is how I usually know my shoes are done and I need to get new ones or that the new ones I got are not going to work out. I feel it in my knee before anything else. I am glad you are running pain free now though even though it has completely confused your Garmin! Also I think I have been dreaming about that chocolate pb cup ice cream cake! Happy Birthday!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    But I am happy to have a baseline to work off of and I have updated all my paces to reflect a 25 min 5K and I will work on that and try again when I finish this cycle (July). I don't know what I will do after that. The Tahoe marathon is in Oct so I would need to start adding some marathon mileage if I am going to do it. I was thinking about it this weekend and my heart is not totally set on doing it. I want a fast marathon for a confidence boost. If I don't do it, I will probably keep doing 5K work until I get sub 20 min....and then take those paces into the 10K and on up.
    I would suggest not doing a marathon unless it is really calling you. It is a huge time commitment and a lot of work, and if your heart is not really set on it, you could easily get burned out.

@katharmonic I'm paranoid about ticks too, but especially the small ones. Both people I know who had Lyme's disease never saw the tick.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Welcome @Ericjayh! Be warned we talk an awful lot around here.

So true! My poor kids are neglected because I'm trying to keep up! :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    May 2018

Goal: 220 km

01 May – 06.0 km
    04 May – 32.0 km
    05 May – 05.0 km parkrun 28:58
    06 May – 09.4 km Sunday Social Run
    08 May – 14 km

Total: 66.4 km

Will try to catch up tomorrow, amazing people!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Ericjayh! Yep, very fast moving thread here. Now if we could run as fast as we type, we would all be in great shape :D
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    hn6h6e2vc2r4.png

I was supposed to run Monday, but I did something to my left knee during Saturday's Karate sessions. I don't know what it was I did, but it was pretty sore and weak by Saturday evening and Sunday. Monday it still didn't feel well enough to try to run on. The knee feels good now and provided I don't do something to it again during today or tomorrow's karate lesson, I'm good to run on Thursday (or maybe today).
    Also, we closed on Monday and are now owners of a house on a lake which will be our eventual retirement home, yay! :smiley:

Congrats to everyone with their victories in their races! You are all great inspirations!

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    BBC article that seems relevant. :)

Sisu: The Finnish art of inner strength http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180502-sisu-the-finnish-art-of-inner-strength

Today: 3 miles, then strength.

May tally: 17.1m
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Track Tuesday strikes again! Back on schedule with Tuesday track workouts instead of Thursday like last week. Yuck! ;)

Today's workout was 16 x 300. They were broken into sets of 4. So you'd do 4 x 300 with 100m "float jog" in between, and after the fourth one, you'd do an extra 400m recovery jog. It was definitely a hard workout -- switching from fast to slow every 70-75 seconds is rough! -- but it was really fun. Workouts like this with fast, short intervals just fly by even when you have to do more reps than you can count on your own two hands!

Allergies still persist, so my breathing was not up to par today, but I managed to keep the workout 300s at a fast clip (anywhere from a 6:17-6:59 pace, some of my early reps were a bit too quick!) and used the float jog to get some deep breaths back in. The weather BESIDES pollen was lovely: low 50s, low humidity, sunny, crisp, clear. It feels like real, true springtime finally.

5/1: 3.2 miles
    5/2: 3 miles
    5/3: 7 miles of Track Thursday
    5/4: 5.4 miles
    5/5: 12 miles
    5/6: 3.6 miles + gym workout
    5/7: 6 miles
    5/8: 8 miles of Track Tuesday

Current: 48.2
    Goal miles: 150

Upcoming Races:
    5/20: Watershed Running Festival - Trail 10k - Pennington, NJ

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome @bradcharlessimmons and @gmiller725! Always nice to welcome newcomers.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 miles
    5/2 - 1.8 miles
    5/3 - 1.85 miles
    5/4 - 2 miles
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 6 miles

5/7 - rest
    5/8 - 2.35

Total 18

Felt a lot more natural in zone 2 today. 5 minutes more than same day last week but average pace was about 20 seconds faster. Now I have to go get ready for work. Yay payroll weeks. Lol
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent that sounds miserable, tbh. Kudos to you for running in that last mile.

Oh, if I was smart or something I could have curled up in the SCRR recovery tent. They had food, warmth, drinks, and even a changing area. I could have recovered much more gracefully and I highly recommend everyone else do that. :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words about my race and its aftermath. :)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Rest day, I haven't been following all the rest days in my plan but today I did it. I usually prefer to just take it very easy but today I felt the complete day off was needed.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So far behind on posts.....

Congrats @PastorVincent on your race! I have not caught up on posts enough to read your race report but I saw your awesome performance on Strava. Great job!

Thanks, they are posted here:

Part 1: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41941841/#Comment_41941841

Part 2: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41945092/#Comment_41945092

Eventually, I will put part one on my blog, but part two was just for y'all.