May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Nice job @PastorVincent. Your race report had me feeling like I was running it with you. Makes me want to sign up for my first marathon.
    exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Well done @PastorVincent - we all knew you could do it.

Now get some rest before next week!!!!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Fantastic result @PastorVincent
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - awesome race report! Thanks for sharing. Amazing to me about that hill that kicked your butt last year and you kept your pace this year!

4.5 miles for me this morning. Decided to run Tabatas (2 mins of 20 seconds fast ; 10 seconds walk). I usually do 4 sets but went for 5. Was tough but feel great now! :wink:

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training W12-A
    5/2 - 4 miles + Cycling 22 fast miles
    5/3 - strength training W12-B
    5/4 - Rest day
    5/5 - 44 miles cycling
    5/6 - strength training W12-C + 3.7 miles treadmill
    5/7 -4.5 miles + TBD

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - careful on trial! :) It is really really really easy to trip and fall over invisible roots and unseeable gopher holes.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I finally made it to the 6 am loop of the 2-loop coffee run which means I got a full 6 miles in on a Monday for the first time in.... *unintelligible muttering of an estimate* The weather was perfect spring temps: tiny bit humid, mid-50s, sunny but not blinding. We should have very similar weather for our track Tuesday tomorrow so I'm excited for that!

Happy Monday, all!

5/1: 3.2 miles
    5/2: 3 miles
    5/3: 7 miles of Track Thursday
    5/4: 5.4 miles
    5/5: 12 miles
    5/6: 3.6 miles + gym workout
    5/7: 6 miles

Current: 40.2
    Goal miles: 150

Upcoming Races:
    5/20: Watershed Running Festival - Trail 10k - Pennington, NJ

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    tblt5s8ihrdp.png

6.2 miles this morning. I don't know what it is about 5am running, but I'm not really enjoying it. Conditions were good, 64 degrees, light wind. But pace was about :30/mi slower than a normal easy run, and it feels like my effort is much harder. Last summer when I was running in the morning, I don't remember it feeling this hard. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but not loving it right now.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the spectating. Maybe next year I'll run it, but if not I look forward to watching it again.
    Just leave the cowbell at home.
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Plus I figure the adrenaline of the race and running with other people will help too
    Yes the boost you get is amazing, just don't let the start surge pull you out to fast , for the first 1-2 km/miles keep an eye on your watch to make sure your not burning up all your energy. I let myself get pulled at my Jasper HM in early April - was close to 5min/km for the first 3 km when I should have been at 5:45 to 6min/km. If you are like me once I get past that initial phase I settle in and play a game of slowly catch and pass the next athlete until I reach a point where they are traveling at the pace I planned on for the event.

All of this. I usually end up passing all those people that surge at the beginning. For me it's more fun to surge at the end! I have this habit of as soon as I can see the finish line (not like from a distance, maybe like a quarter mile away) I kick it and run like an 8 minute mile. That's about as long as I can hold that fast of a pace. :D
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    tblt5s8ihrdp.png

6.2 miles this morning. I don't know what it is about 5am running, but I'm not really enjoying it. Conditions were good, 64 degrees, light wind. But pace was about :30/mi slower than a normal easy run, and it feels like my effort is much harder. Last summer when I was running in the morning, I don't remember it feeling this hard. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but not loving it right now.

I am always a bit slower in summer and in the early morning. I think it's the heat + not awake.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 great race part of recovery week.
    easy 7 this am
    exercise.png
  • zerlinna87
    zerlinna87 Posts: 120 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @lporter229 congrats on your marathon run! Sounds like it was a wonderful race. And congrats to everyone else who ran this weekend. I enjoyed reading all the race reports. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Congrats @lporter229!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I almost forgot to tell you- Stellar job this weekend!!! Congrats on crushing your goal!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks @juliet3455 and @RunsOnEspresso. That is good advice. I am a little worried that I will start out too fast since I tend to run faster at the beginning of my runs and slow down as I get tired.

@scott6255 I recently started running in the mornings before work, and I kind of feel the same about being slower. I think a lot of it for me is just not being fully awake.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5K @kdbulger!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Excellent job!

@PastorVincent that sounds miserable, tbh. Kudos to you for running in that last mile.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Congratulations on an awesome marathon and PR!!! You are an inspiration.