Most calories burned in 24 hours?

jlklem
jlklem Posts: 259 Member
Rode 115 miles today...burned 4375 total calories. Measured with a calibrated power meter, so pretty close to accurate. Two rides 100.5 at 210 watts and then and easy 15 (108 watts) with the wife this evening. 5:40 total time.

Not my best day ever but pretty good.

More people should bike. But that’s a different thread...

John

Replies

• cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    4,300 recently after visiting London for the first time. Walked.......a lot! :D
  • jlklem
    sijomial wrote: »
    My biggest was a 129 mile hilly Audax cycling event - 4,643 cals according to Strava (reasonable estimate rather than accurate).

According to a friend of mine an Audax event is defined as......
    "An eating contest while travelling through beautiful countryside".

Yeah, cycling is a lot like moving breakfasts, perfect quote
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    The day I ran my marathon, but that was four years ago and I remember the exact number.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't know the exact number, but probably 4,000-5,000.
    8 hours of very strenuous backpacking in the mountains while carrying a 40-pound pack.
    That's a TON for me...I'm a small-ish woman, so my TDEE on a normal day is around 1,700.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2018
    I did an Ultra (only 50K) followed by a marathon last weekend.

Saturday burned about 5550 and Sunday about 5000.

For a flat, road, marathon I'd only expect to burn about 3000, but elevation and surface make a big difference.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Those are some pretty big calorie numbers. Don't think I've ever exceeded 3300, but that will change this summer during IM training. I may have to add a bento box to the bike, or get bigger pockets. :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    My biggest day was fairly early on I did a 2 hour Zumbathon fund raiser then went out on the town and walked quite a lot. It was just over 3,600 for the day.

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    What trackers do you find to be the most accurate in determining calories burned in a day?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I had some nearly 4000 calorie total days - not just exercise but TDEE - hiking in the Andes, but I'm fairly light (sedentary TDEE is under 1600 calories) so I don't often see those big numbers.

I burn about 1200 running a half-marathon distance, and approximately the same for a 50 mile bike ride.

Sucks to be short sometimes. I'm always jealous that my husband can lay on the couch with his Playstation all weekend, take one 30 minute bike ride with me, and still burn more than I do total in a day while I spend the whole time running, walking the dog, riding my bike, gardening, and grocery shopping.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    If I'm going off of TDEE, it would have to be Feb. 25 of this year. Ran a half marathon at Disney, and then walked 9 miles at Magic Kingdom. 3213 calories.

I almost hit it yesterday -- half marathon, followed by walking around downtown. 3200.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    The most was 1261 for half marathon, total at end of the day was 3061. Short older chick. :cry:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do.

Furthermore. Most things we do in life are irrelevant to most people, but there is beauty to be able to connect and share them. That is why there is a forum in MFD.

But as an competitive athlete it is total relevant....every freaking calorie.

John

True. And related to the relevance of calorie burns: I try to consume back roughly 1/2 of the calories, electrolytes, etc that I"m burning each hour that I"m on the bike, so it would be typical for me to consume roughly 250-300 cal/hr. Most, but not all of it, is in liquid form.

Curious if others here follow a specific fueling formula during cycling, running or similar events.
  • jlklem
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I think it is a great way for people to share what we are capable of as humans. It’s amazing what we can do.

Furthermore. Most things we do in life are irrelevant to most people, but there is beauty to be able to connect and share them. That is why there is a forum in MFD.

John

True. And related to the relevance of calorie burns: I try to consume back roughly 1/2 of the calories, electrolytes, etc that I"m burning each hour that I"m on the bike, so it would be typical for me to consume roughly 250-300 cal/hr. Most, but not all of it, is in liquid form.

Curious if others here follow a specific fueling formula during cycling, running or similar events.

When training for my Ironman...it was max 250-300 on the bike as that is all you body can process. I find this to be very true. Running it was even less. 100 per hour as so much blood is needed to run that the stomach barely can digest. This is based on my coach and coaching others plus a lot of personal experience.

But all this depends on intensity and duration. My Ironman bike was 160 watts so my stomach was find on 300 per hour. I did a 5:50 bike. But as the day progressed 160 becomes harder on the body and 300 would become to much.

Last year I rode my bike for 20 continuous hours...at some point I could barely eat.

My 2 cents.

John
  • collectingblues
    Djproulx wrote: »

John

It really depends. Less than 5-mile run, I don't fuel. For a 10, I'll have a packet or two of Welch's fruit gummies at the 5-mile mark (160 calories, 40 gm of carbs total = 80 calories, 20 gm of carbs each).

With a race, if it's 10K, I play it by ear -- if I'm greying out or notice things getting "off" I'll fuel. Otherwise, I power through. For a half, I carry four packs. I'll do two at ~6.5 miles, 1 at 10, and then play it by ear if/when I want the last one.
  • jlklem
    Wow I rarely fuel unless I am burning over 1500 calories non stop. On my Saturday ride I took in 940 calories and burned 4000. I was fading at the end but power did not drop meaning I still had glycogen in my blood stream. A 10k would never need fueling unless you start very depleted. Same for a half marathon. I suppose a half might require a gel...but most trained people store 1200 calories of glycogen.
  • collectingblues
    edited May 2018
    Wow I rarely fuel unless I am burning over 1500 calories non stop. On my Saturday ride I took in 940 calories and burned 4000. I was fading at the end but power did not drop meaning I still had glycogen in my blood stream. A 10k would never need fueling unless you start very depleted. Same for a half marathon. I suppose a half might require a gel...but most trained people store 1200 calories of glycogen.

Good for you?

I'm also a type 1 diabetic who hasn't eaten at true maintenance levels of calories for any extended period (AKA, beyond a day) in at least five years. I can drop very quickly, and very unpredictably, and if I don't have the glycogen ready on board, I can't break out of a hypoglycemic cycle.

But hey, you go ahead and judge my fueling practices.