Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• KatTad77
    KatTad77 Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Everyone thinks they are a expert. Especially if they have always been fit. I use truvia and not splenda but only because I like Truvia better. Its my small sweet for my coffee or my oatmeal. You do you and tell her that you "appreciate" the advice but it is not needed.
  • KatTad77
    KatTad77 Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    At Starbucks (!) I was standing at the bar with her - she reached across me for truvia, I reached across her for splenda. We smiled at each other. And she says out of the blue "You shouldn't use that stuff, you know. It's worse than sugar." I did my tight, inappropriate stranger smile and finished stirring my coffee - and she keeps on lecturing! "You really need to stop using that, it's nothing but chemicals. It's really a terrible thing to do to your body..." and on and on as she's walking out the door. I half-expected her to hand me a pamphlet directing me to some kind of artificial sweetener support group. It was kind of surreal - and I wish I hadn't been so stunned that I had absolutely nothing to say :(

I've read here about strangers making inappropriate comments in general about people's food choices, but usually not direct evangalizing to their faces - it's certainly a first for me! Does this sort of thing happen often, and am I just oblivious? Does anyone want to share a story?

And of course, now I'm thinking of all the things I could have said if I was just a little bit quicker on my feet - did anyone actually think fast enough to make a good comeback?

Is Truvia much better than Splenda? Definitely rude of her!

That said, I also hate artificial sweeteners and sometimes catch myself making comments to people who choose Splenda or diet soda. I don't do it to be rude but to me it's like watching someone smoking a cigarette - I feel like maybe I can save them! Not saying this to justify her rudeness, but saying it because maybe her intentions weren't that bad - it genuinely pains me to see people drink soda or put Splenda in their coffee or tea.

I use truvia but I personally do not think by a nutritional standard its really any better because lets face it. It is basically a reminder that many of us cannot do anything without some sort of sweet. On a non nutritional note I like the way Truvia taste better. I would never diss someone who uses splenda.