Options
13»

Replies

• Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lakinapook wrote: »
    Sairzie wrote: »
    I’m finding the same issue in the UK. A child in our family is only fed chicken nuggets, fish fingers, chips and ketchup from what I can see! Have never seen her eat a vegetable. And she is incredibly fussy with food. Trouble is, given the choice her mum will only eat those foods also!

If they aren’t introduced to different foods early on then they start being fussy eaters and rely on these nutritionally void foods. I honestly think it is a lack of knowledge on my family members part and they genuinely believe they are giving her a healthy diet!

I have two children, twins in fact, who have been raised eating the same food. One is a picky eater and the other is not. The picky one it is a constant battle to get him to eat even 2 bites of vegetable at dinner, non picky child happily wolfs down all that I give him and relishes trying new things I introduce. If I didn't make some accomodations for the picky child he would not eat for lengths of time that would be unhealthy and he is already on the small side of the growth curve. He eats meat, bread, cheese and rice mostly, I have to bribe him to eat a bite or two of vegetable.

Everyone thinks they are an expert on kids, even kids they don't know. Early intro of healthy food is great, but if you have a really picky eater it won't change that. People seem to think picky eaters can be cured by just starving them until they get hungry, but if this works it means your kid was being a fussy jerk about food and were never truly a picky eater.

Honestly, it is exhausting trying to come up with ideas to try to get him to eat, so yeah from the outside it might look like I am just giving in sometimes and letting him eat just french fries for dinner.

It is hard to know what happens in peoples private lives and it seems like everyone is just so excited to jump on the judgment bandwagon.

Sorry if my post offended you or came across as judgemental. It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job and perhaps I didn't write clearly enough. The child I referred to hasn't been offered healthier options, which is more the point I should have made. I'm not even sure if she does genuinely dislike these things because she is always given a separate meal and isn't challenged to try anything new. She has reflected her mums behaviour that if it is anything new she will not even try it.

I'm conscious that some children will have genuine issues with food, my friends child will only eat three different food items total. I just don't feel that is the issue with my family member, rather she hasn't had the opportunity unfortunately to try other things.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My kids learned early in life that if you don’t want what is on the table today(routinely a starch, a protein, and at least one veggie dish) then you may choose leftovers or fruit and veg from the fridge and make your own. We serve “kid foods” as treats maybe once a month but otherwise they eat what my husband and I eat.

The catering to children is getting insane. At the last wedding we were at, they actually served anyone below the age of 13 a plate of chicken nuggets and fries. My kids were disappointed and in the end snuck up to the Buffett and grabbed roast beef, cole slaw and ceasar salad. What a weird world we have become when processed, mashed and reshaped chicken is “kid food” and a plate of roast beef, mashed potatoes, and multiple veggies is “adult food”.

Op, I would attempt to make versions of the food they like but healthier. Veggies can be blended into sauces, chicken nuggets made at home, potato wedges, and roasted carrots, and beets on the same tray seasoned similarity. See if you can help them realize how good a variety of foods taste. I do feel for you though, it probably won’t be an easy job.