How often do you have cheat meals?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    First all thanks to everyone who left a comment. Starting off I will eliminate the word (cheat) because I don’t eat over my daily calories which is 1800 cal at the moment and it goes down every week as I lose weight. I honestly didn’t know another word. I have been seeing the gains and progress I wanted to, Every week since I started. Some weeks are better than other but and all I have consistently lost a few pounds every week. I’m really on this journey by myself I goto the gym 4-5 times out the week. But learning that long as you eat a calorie deficit you can lose weight I want feel bad no more about it. I thought it was eating all the right food at a calorie deficit. One again thanks for all the knowledge and Btw if you don’t mind I need friends on this app of ppl who are active on the app and can help motivate and vise versa so if don’t mind adding me or sending me a request that would be great.

You might want to call them 'fun' meals. I don't think many people would have a problem with that.

Yes - fun meals, treat foods ,special meals, celebrations - any other description of higher calorie, usually less nutritious but enjoyable foods/meals

Things you can incorporate into your weekly calorie allowance without having the emotional negative loading of 'cheating'

Better way to approach it IMO.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    First all thanks to everyone who left a comment. Starting off I will eliminate the word (cheat) because I don’t eat over my daily calories which is 1800 cal at the moment and it goes down every week as I lose weight. I honestly didn’t know another word. I have been seeing the gains and progress I wanted to, Every week since I started. Some weeks are better than other but and all I have consistently lost a few pounds every week. I’m really on this journey by myself I goto the gym 4-5 times out the week. But learning that long as you eat a calorie deficit you can lose weight I want feel bad no more about it. I thought it was eating all the right food at a calorie deficit. One again thanks for all the knowledge and Btw if you don’t mind I need friends on this app of ppl who are active on the app and can help motivate and vise versa so if don’t mind adding me or sending me a request that would be great.

You might want to call them 'fun' meals. I don't think many people would have a problem with that.

Yes - fun meals, treat foods ,special meals, celebrations - any other description of higher calorie, usually less nutritious but enjoyable foods/meals

Things you can incorporate into your weekly calorie allowance without having the emotional negative loading of 'cheating'

Better way to approach it IMO.

Absolutely!!

I ate a whole pizza about once a month while I was actively losing weight, without going over my calories. I just fit it into my calorie limit. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've had 'cheat' meals once a week and sometimes more, the entire time i've lost weight since january. What i do is balance things out with exercise and eating lighter or eliminating carbs for a few meals during the week. It has worked well for me. i don't count calories btw. i have lost 35 pounds..maybe more.. i have to weigh in next week. i am almost at goal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only one I cheat is me and I don't like to.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Way too often recently :/ Having a very hard time turning away from excessively caloric meals and treats lately.
  • JanetBiard
    JanetBiard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do not think the idea of a cheat meal is good psychologically. Who are am I cheating in this...myself? Why would I want to do that? Some days I might choose to eat something denser in calories than I would normally choose, but as everyone else on this discussion is saying, I count it in my calories for the day. It might mean I go over my limit for that day, but longer term I know I am doing OK as I am losing weight. It is also really amazing to discover the calories in something I might previously have eaten without any thought at all. Overall, I want to get balance in my eating and the idea of cheating does not fit in that for me.
  • Villypierr
    Villypierr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Villypierr wrote: »
    I don't cheat with fat food. If you have to lose weight you have to have food with quality. Try to stay focused. Cheat only with healthy snacks. Its only you my friend on this journey, and all the hard work you do, goes backwards if you do that. Loose the weight first and then do that on the maintenance.

What is “fat food”?

Food with fat. Sorry if my English aren't that good..
  • Villypierr
    Options
    Jadub729 wrote: »
    I don't cheat with fat food. If you have to lose weight you have to have food with quality. Try to stay focused. Cheat only with healthy snacks. Its only you my friend on this journey, and all the hard work you do, goes backwards if you do that. Loose the weight first and then do that on the maintenance.

That is not true. I've lost 60lbs while still enjoying Burger King, chicken fingers and mudslides.

well, last Saturday i enjoyed a burger and fries an then i didnt enjoyed that one week i had to practice to lose one-kilo and a half o took... i don't think that this is the proper way... we need consistency...
  • Villypierr
    Options
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    I do not think the idea of a cheat meal is good psychologically. Who are am I cheating in this...myself? Why would I want to do that? Some days I might choose to eat something denser in calories than I would normally choose, but as everyone else on this discussion is saying, I count it in my calories for the day. It might mean I go over my limit for that day, but longer term I know I am doing OK as I am losing weight. It is also really amazing to discover the calories in something I might previously have eaten without any thought at all. Overall, I want to get balance in my eating and the idea of cheating does not fit in that for me.

Agree!
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a "cheat" as I plan for it, but once a week I eat to maintenance and include some kind of indulgence in my day - it varies from week to week though, may be a meal out, or couple glasses of wine, or a piece of pie after dinner.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat meal once a week. Then I would have a cheat meal twice a week. Then I would have a cheat meal 3 times a week. Then I thought I'd better knock it on the head. So I would have one cheat day a week. Then I had cheat days 2 days a week. Then every day was a cheat day. But I wasn't winning.
    Now I have treat meals once a month and I make sure that what I'm choosing is nourishing. Last week was a wfpb buffet just to try something different. The month before that I splashed out on seafood and made a platter of oysters, scallops, crayfish, prawns and raw fish. At this stage I think I'll go to a mexican restaurant next month but I'll see what I'm craving when the time nears. As my treat meals are only once a month, I consider them to be a reward and treat them as such. I no longer consider nutritionally poor choices to be a reward. But that's my perception.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

What is “fat food”?

Food with fat. Sorry if my English aren't that good..

You are keeping away from any food with fat??

That doesn't sound realistic to me.