May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Congratulations on the race today!

Also, thanks for the training advice. I'm definitely planning to work towards the ability of doing the 20 mile run, fully ready to bail. It so easy to get bought in to the big runs with all the motivation.

@hanlonsk Cake, long run, steak?? I want to be you! Livin' the dream!

DH went on another run today. I responsibly declined even though I feel I could have done 5-6 miles... Slowly. Without cake. :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    You are all a bunch of enablers ;)

...and thats why you love us.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent love the ultra report. Can't see myself doing one. Happy Mother's day to all the moms especially those that deal with running children and spouses. Enjoyed the Mothers day brunch but I just can't eat like that and paid the price the rest of the day. Rest day killer interval workout this week.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I see no downside here.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Soccer tournament this weekend and family in town gave me some excuses for not getting out until today. Ultimately, just missed some dedicated walking miles as I’ll make up the shakeout run tomorrow night. Beautiful weekend for the soccer games and was great weather for the run this afternoon.

5/1 - 0
    5/2 - 0
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 0
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 4 miles/ 4 walk
    5/7 - 2.65 walk
    5/8 - 4 miles
    5/9 - 4 walk
    5/10 - 4 miles
    5/11 - 0
    5/12 - 0
    5/13 - 5.5 miles

Total 25.5 miles run/70.5 goal
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    6.29 km Peavey Loop Explorer. Copied a course from a previous run since I did not have my watch with me.
    A short Explorer of the construction of the new Railway crossing Bridge and roads for the new Bridge over the Peace River. It seems like we went from 0C to +29C overnight. Having a hard time to adjust to this quick change of temperature.

exercise.png

05/02 21.23 km -21.23km - 118.77 km - YTD 331.42km
    05/05 9.00 km -30.23km - 109.77 km
    05/12 10.00 km -40.23km - 099.77 km
    05/13 06.29 km -46.52km - 093.48 km - YTD 356.71km Peavey Loop Explorer
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So INTERESTING QUESTION to ponder.

Last week I ran a street marathon and pushed for a PR. At the end of the run, I was completely wrecked as expected/predicted. I could bearly lift a leg to walk and I was shaking so violently I could not work my phone.

Six days later I ran a 50k (31ish) mile trail race. I ran it hard enough that I hit the point of being physically unable to run. I ran it hard enough that despite drinking 120oz of fluids plus eating various treats I was still down several pounds at completion. At the end of it, I was sore and tired, but I was walking around talking to people. Today I could have gone for a run.

Someone on the trail (S from the race report) told me that she preferred trail racing in part cause the recovery was so much easier and that trail running was much easier on the body. My experience (and my wife's) seem to agree with that.

Is there any truth to it, or was this just a happy coincidence?

• Elise4270
    Options

I see no downside here.

Because of this group, I registered for the 15K and registered my husband & kids for the 2.5K (as walkers because of the 3 year old).

Next y'all are gonna start trying to get me to run CDR...

Careful... because of this group I ran a 50k yesterday...

Preach
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Last week I ran a street marathon and pushed for a PR. At the end of the run, I was completely wrecked as expected/predicted. I could bearly lift a leg to walk and I was shaking so violently I could not work my phone.

Six days later I ran a 50k (31ish) mile trail race. I ran it hard enough that I hit the point of being physically unable to run. I ran it hard enough that despite drinking 120oz of fluids plus eating various treats I was still down several pounds at completion. At the end of it, I was sore and tired, but I was walking around talking to people. Today I could have gone for a run.

Someone on the trail (S from the race report) told me that she preferred trail racing in part cause the recovery was so much easier and that trail running was much easier on the body. My experience (and my wife's) seem to agree with that.

I did a trail event a few weeks back and the next day I felt like a million dollars - all the niggles in my feet, hips, back and neck were gone. Normally, after a road race I'm really tight. I put it down to the uneven ground (the little bumps and the big hills) and the resulting movement of your body. This impacted me so much that I've switched my winter series road race events for Xterra trail events (can't do both as they stupidly collide on dates).
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent I am going to say a Big Yes to Trail Running being easier on the body, caveat, as long as you don't have too many Face Plants. I have never ran a marathon or a 50km but have completed an equal number of HM's on road/pavement park trails and pure bushy trails with all the rocks, roots , water hazards, hills and swamp crossings. My last hard course HM left me single stepping on stairs for 2 days and sidewalk curbs were interesting. I have never had that with trail HM. My longest run ever - was a 36km trail run climbing all 7 peaks out of our local river valley ~ 225m per climb. Never had any leg/muscle pain. My last trail HM was 10 days ago and the next day at work I was scrambling up/down ladders at a 3 story building - no issues. I think it is because stopping or walking through an aid station and walking the steep hills breaks up/changes the muscle loading so it's not quite such a repetitive motion for hour after hour. Also training on trail means your body is constantly adjusting to the rolling land surface which makes for a stronger core/ankles/knees etc.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Yep. I have felt awful after very single one of my marathons for at least three days. Everything is sore. Can't lift my legs to save my life. Even after the good ones when I've been able to keep running and even pick up the pace, and am thinking around the 38k point, where is this wall you speak of? But yeah.

The only time I did a 50k trail, it took effing forever (nearly twice as long as your race) and I thought I was going to die out there on the mountain. Would easily rank it as the hardest thing I've done in my life. Went home, slept 12 hours straight, and felt almost fine the next day. Was running again the day after.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ...and thats why you love us.
    @sarahthes - definitely why you love us! it is a win-win you will have an amazing race and they will have ice cream or waffles or whatever :)
    @hanlonsk - I loved it when places like that remembered me! It makes the traveling so much nicer and even the places locally never took care of me like that!

I took a real do nothing veg on the couch rest day off today and ate pretty much whatever I wanted - nothing terrible and not over the top but just enjoyed myself immensely!!

We are off to DC later this week for our nieces graduation - can't wait to run the mall!! Hoping @ddmom0811 will give me some pointers! It is going to be much hotter and very humid compared to So Cal!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bravo, @polskagirl01 on your marathon!!!

A marathon is a marathon, and merits respect no matter what.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    May 2018

Goal: 220 km

01 May – 06.0 km
    04 May – 32.0 km
    05 May – 05.0 km parkrun 28:58
    06 May – 09.4 km Sunday Social Run
    08 May – 14.1 km
    09 May – 17.6 km
    12 May – 10.0 km including parkrun 26:59