Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Lol great story. Splenda isn't all that healthy. It's true.

I suppose it's useless at this point to reiterate that the OP was about someone lecturing a perfect stranger in public about their food choices, and the fact that it happened to be splenda is completely incidental to the story. I get the feeling that if this incident had happened at a salad bar and involved croutons this thread would be 20 pages shorter.

Nah, dem carbz tho...

And do glutinz. You can't forget de glutinz

See, that's the problem, dem carbz go straight to my glutinz...

Had an azz like a loaf of bread
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Lol great story. Splenda isn't all that healthy. It's true.

I suppose it's useless at this point to reiterate that the OP was about someone lecturing a perfect stranger in public about their food choices, and the fact that it happened to be splenda is completely incidental to the story. I get the feeling that if this incident had happened at a salad bar and involved croutons this thread would be 20 pages shorter.

Nah, dem carbz tho...

And do glutinz. You can't forget de glutinz

See, that's the problem, dem carbz go straight to my glutinz...

If only...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I almost feel sad that I've never had the experience of some idiot deciding to lecture me on my food choices because honestly I think I would just find it amusing. No random strangers ever seem to approach me with advice, it must be my resting a-hole face.

Ah, always wondered what the male of equivilent of RBI was.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    And some people who have no current interest in losing weight genuinely prefer the taste of diet coke.

In my past, I too, have been guilty of wondering why someone draws the line at the beverage when eating so much. Now I wish I had drawn the line a few more places giving me less to burn back off.

Back when I was heavy and before I was concerned about losing weight, I still had type 1 diabetes and still had to manage BG. Diet soda eliminate that issue with soda anyway.

As to the taste of Diet Coke... interesting facts about that. A very long time ago, during the "cola wars," Coca-Cola's own marketing research found that consumers prefer the flavor of Pepsi most, the flavor of Diet Coke next, and the flavor of Coke least (amongst those 3 options). Of course, Coca-Cola did not own the Pepsi flavor, but they owned the flavor of Diet Coke. So they tried to gain some market share by making a caloric beverage with the same flavor as Diet Coke. The logic was that consumers preferred the taste of Diet Coke and if it also had sugar and HFCS, then it would sell better than Coke. In April 1985, they launched this new product with the flavor of Diet Coke in a form with sugar... they called it "New Coke." Coca-Cola forgot about the nostalgia factor and ended up bringing back the original Coke flavor only a few months later because of a very vocal group of consumers who resisted the change.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I want it I still order 'Coca Cola Classic' 30 years later.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I consume almost exclusively diet soda, but this B.S. about Diet Coke tasting better than Coke Classic is hooey, imo. Very occasionally I will drink a "real" Coke with ALL the calories and corn syrup and savor every delicious bubble.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    And some people who have no current interest in losing weight genuinely prefer the taste of diet coke.

In my past, I too, have been guilty of wondering why someone draws the line at the beverage when eating so much. Now I wish I had drawn the line a few more places giving me less to burn back off.

I've drank diet soda for so long (35+ years) that I don't even like the taste of regular soda anymore. And although I don't classify foods as "good" vs. "bad", there are some that I consider "not worth the calories" - and regular soda is one of them. I'm a big eater, and 16 ounces of any regular cola drink is almost 200 calories. I can get a pretty decent bang for my buck out of a lot of foods for 200 calories - and still be able to enjoy my diet soda.

I don't drink soda with every meal, but if I am having it with a meal it's always diet soda - whether I'm ordering halibut and steamed vegetables or a triple bacon guacamole cheeseburger and chili cheese fries.
  • NovusDies
    edited May 2018
    I consume almost exclusively diet soda, but this B.S. about Diet Coke tasting better than Coke Classic is hooey, imo. Very occasionally I will drink a "real" Coke with ALL the calories and corn syrup and savor every delicious bubble.

If you only drink it occasionally you should try the Mexican Coke with real cane sugar.
  • NovusDies
    @anvilhead I don't have the option of diet beverages because I don't like the taste so for me it is unsweetened tea or water. It kind of sucks sometimes not having a bigger variety.

• AnvilHead
    @anvilhead I don't have the option of diet beverages because I don't like the taste so for me it is unsweetened tea or water. It kind of sucks sometimes not having a bigger variety.

@NovusDies - I'm not even picky at all. I drink the store brand diet cola/root beer/Dr. Pepper and enjoy them just as much as the "name brand" versions. I also drink lots of iced tea (both unsweetened and artificially sweetened, depending on what I feel like at the moment) and lots of water. I even like some of the flavored sparkling waters.

As far as artificial sweeteners go, I really don't much care about one over the other. I'm good with aspartame, sucralose, ace-K, whatever.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member

If you only drink it occasionally you should try the Mexican Coke with real cane sugar.

I have, but my tastebuds have apparently been perverted because everyone else prefers it, but I like the USA version with the corn syrup. It tastes crisper to me, for some reason.
  • AnvilHead

I've tried the Mexican Coke, as well as several of the "throwback" sodas that are made with real cane sugar. None of them trip my trigger, so I just stick with my diet soda. Now if they made a "throwback" version of Dr. Pepper that really actually tasted like Dr. Pepper tasted in the '70s, maybe I'd change my mind. :)