Recovering Carbaholic [Keto]

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    idalor8a wrote: »
    Hello, I am Idania and I'm a recovering carbaholic

Not sure why you referenced Keto in your title - you're considering it or it is working for you?

If you found something that works for you, I'm delighted. Simply reducing carbs from baked goods, and upping protein and fruit worked for me.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Of course they’re different, but in my own eating experience they’re linked. I’ve never had success limiting myself to unlimited carbs such as lentils, beans, and potatoes—and yes, I’ve tried. When I eat an apple for a snack I WILL eventually eat candy later that same night, not because carbs are all created equal but because my brain’s wiring kind of sucks sometimes. I’m a lifelong binge eater, and I have literally never found a strategy that works for me until I tried keto.

I’m not saying carrots are bad or that everyone should do keto, but cutting MY net carbs down to 10% of my calories has accomplished what decades of “knowing better” has not.

And what I found is that when I cut out sugar and grains and starches, I actually had way more room than I expected for vegetables, and can still enjoy more fruit than I ever got around to eating consistently before (because I’d forget or run out or be in a hurry and granola bars were RIGHT THERE). So it kind of annoys me when I see “I’d do keto if I didn’t, you know, enjoy produce!” because the notion that keto must mean nothing but steak and eggs all day is uncharitable and untrue.

What happens if you increase your net carbs back to 15% or 20%? Will you completely revert?

The problem I have with Keto is that it tries to be a blanket solution. We are individuals and our needs vary. Only through experimentation do we know what it takes to control hunger and be satisfied. I think when you control hunger it is much easier to break other food-related habits.

Interesting question. I don’t know exactly where the line is, but there’s no margin for me in finding out. I’m getting a satisfying variety of foods with a wide array of nutrients in them now and am content with that; why would I risk a relapse just for the sake of finding out where it happens? I know that when I have my “off” weekends I can maintain control for a few hours; sometimes a full day. By the second day all the familiar binge-y noise is in my head again. By the third I’m eager to dive back into keto so I can shut it up.

I do know that 10% isn’t a hard ceiling. I’m sure my measurements aren’t perfect, and anyway I’ve gone over that for a few hours here and there for social reasons, or because my son wanted me to try something he’s eating, or whatever. But 10% is a good general target that’s been working for me, and, as you say, we’re all individuals. I am an individual for whom keto has been a real gift, and I’m explaining why, so that other people like me might be able to self-identify and consider it as an option. Others might self-identify as NOT like me and steer away. Which I think is more useful than just trying to lure people into it with promises of magical fat-melting, or scare them away by insisting that they’d basically be risking scurvy.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I love carbs. I know myself well enough to know that if I try to cut out all carbs I will freak out and binge after about three days. So I allow myself the foods I like within my calorie allowance and I am much more successful.

Not only that.....and I speak from experience....your gym performance would SUCK!

I did Keto for several months. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But, do some heavy deadlifts. C'mon! I dare ya! LOL! I do not bash carbs at all but I have a higher A1C so Keto made total sense. My body just does not respond well to carbs. Dang it! So, after having less than stellar gym performance I am doing Carb Timing.......I ingest brown rice and sweet potatoes before and after my training sessions. I get about 120g of Carbs a day (I am 51, stand 6'0" and weigh 210lbs....and do Power Lifting). So, not a lot of Carbs at all, but one heck of a lot more than the 25g or so that I was getting while doing "Strict Keto".

I think that we all need to know our bodies and what works and what does not work. So, because of the high A1C that I have if I decide that I am going to do Keto then that is my choice. General comment there, folks. That does not work too well with some other goals that I have. So, I experiment. Shoot! Isn't life one big experiment?

Anyway, just my $1.98 worth! I get paid by the letter used! LOL!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'd argue that a lot of foods that are easy to over-eat do not have much fat at all, like popcorn, candy corns and jelly beans, fat free ice cream and other fat free treats. Like everything I ever ate between 1995-2000, pretty much!!

Yeah, I'm sure it's really specific to the individual, but I suspect very few if any people just "crave carbs" and not specific foods, many of which have macros other than carbs.

Personally, I could not overdo popcorn without at least a little fat and salt, think candy corns are disgusting, can take or leave jelly beans and don't tend to overeat any sugar only kinds of candies (and certainly do not crave them), have zero interest in fat free ice cream (whereas I know from doing keto that I can overdo homemade no sugar and low carb ice cream), etc.

But again the bigger point is that if cravings were so vague as "carbs" you could fill it with some brussels sprouts and not worry too much about it screwing up your goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2018
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love my vegetables and still eat them in large quantities, but don't miss the cookies, oatmeal, pizza or anything else I used to crave pre-keto. It's not right for everyone, though and it's not the only way. I did feel like keto was a good option for destroying carb cravings, if that along with weight loss is your end goal.

Same. You can take quite a lot of the carbohydrates out of the typical American diet and still have plenty of room left over for fruits and veggies. It’s true that I don’t sit around munching on a whole apple as a snack on keto, but let’s face it: that wasn’t something I’d actually do before keto, either.

Now, instead of having a big salad once in a while and feeling so virtuous that I decide I deserve a cookie to go with it, I eat an avocado, heaping plates of leafy greens, and moderate portions of berries pretty much every day, along with whatever else is lying around that I can squeeze in.

And I have actual self-control around food, which just...was not the case six months ago. It’s not the case when I take weekend breaks, either. People can scoff all they want at the idea of carbs as an addiction, but for some of us they really do seem to function that way.

I always like when people talk about carb addiction and their examples are thinks like cookies and whatnot that have equally, if not more calories coming from fat.

I've never heard someone complaining that they're addicted to beans and lentils and oats and root vegetables, etc which are all nutritionally good sources of carbohydrates. It's always the cookie as if all carbs are just junk foods.

Of course they’re different, but in my own eating experience they’re linked. I’ve never had success limiting myself to unlimited carbs such as lentils, beans, and potatoes—and yes, I’ve tried. When I eat an apple for a snack I WILL eventually eat candy later that same night, not because carbs are all created equal but because my brain’s wiring kind of sucks sometimes. I’m a lifelong binge eater, and I have literally never found a strategy that works for me until I tried keto.

I’m not saying carrots are bad or that everyone should do keto, but cutting MY net carbs down to 10% of my calories has accomplished what decades of “knowing better” has not.

And what I found is that when I cut out sugar and grains and starches, I actually had way more room than I expected for vegetables, and can still enjoy more fruit than I ever got around to eating consistently before (because I’d forget or run out or be in a hurry and granola bars were RIGHT THERE). So it kind of annoys me when I see “I’d do keto if I didn’t, you know, enjoy produce!” because the notion that keto must mean nothing but steak and eggs all day is uncharitable and untrue.

This kind of thing just makes me think you didn't eat many fruits or veg before, and that therefore you aren't really comparing keto to a planned, nutrient dense non keto diet.

When I did keto I had to cut down the amount of veg I ate (and I could not eat any fruit or beans/lentils) even aiming for around 35 net (around 65 total) carbs. It is true that I like to eat a variety of non starchy veg (cauliflower and broccoli and brussels have more carbs than some others, I am not actually super into carrots so they weren't my problem), and it is also true that I love veg and consider them really important and routinely eat about 10-12 servings if not trying to hit super low carb numbers.

My bigger issue was the fruit, which I could not fit in at all (other than some avocado), and that I was even stressing about nuts and plain greek yogurt.) I also think beans and lentils are really affirmatively good foods to eat and had to cut them out. And this idea that one wouldn't eat fruit pre keto is something I don't relate to at all, I love fruit.

NOT saying it's not a good diet if you enjoy it, but it's simply true that this is one of the drawbacks for some people, and if you are starting from a different place re produce consumption, maybe that's the issue.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love my vegetables and still eat them in large quantities, but don't miss the cookies, oatmeal, pizza or anything else I used to crave pre-keto. It's not right for everyone, though and it's not the only way. I did feel like keto was a good option for destroying carb cravings, if that along with weight loss is your end goal.

Same. You can take quite a lot of the carbohydrates out of the typical American diet and still have plenty of room left over for fruits and veggies. It’s true that I don’t sit around munching on a whole apple as a snack on keto, but let’s face it: that wasn’t something I’d actually do before keto, either.

Now, instead of having a big salad once in a while and feeling so virtuous that I decide I deserve a cookie to go with it, I eat an avocado, heaping plates of leafy greens, and moderate portions of berries pretty much every day, along with whatever else is lying around that I can squeeze in.

And I have actual self-control around food, which just...was not the case six months ago. It’s not the case when I take weekend breaks, either. People can scoff all they want at the idea of carbs as an addiction, but for some of us they really do seem to function that way.

I always like when people talk about carb addiction and their examples are thinks like cookies and whatnot that have equally, if not more calories coming from fat.

I've never heard someone complaining that they're addicted to beans and lentils and oats and root vegetables, etc which are all nutritionally good sources of carbohydrates. It's always the cookie as if all carbs are just junk foods.

This kind of thing just makes me think you didn't eat many fruits or veg before, and that therefore you aren't really comparing keto to a planned, nutrient dense non keto diet.

When I did keto I had to cut down the amount of veg I ate (and I could not eat any fruit or beans/lentils) even aiming for around 35 net (around 65 total) carbs. It is true that I like to eat a variety of non starchy veg (cauliflower and broccoli and brussels have more carbs than some others, I am not actually super into carrots so they weren't my problem), and it is also true that I love veg and consider them really important and routinely eat about 10-12 servings if not trying to hit super low carb numbers.

My bigger issue was the fruit, which I could not fit in at all (other than some avocado), and that I was even stressing about nuts and plain greek yogurt.) I also think beans and lentils are really affirmatively good foods to eat and had to cut them out. And this idea that one wouldn't eat fruit pre keto is something I don't relate to at all, I love fruit.

NOT saying it's not a good diet if you enjoy it, but it's simply true that this is one of the drawbacks for some people, and if you are starting from a different place re produce consumption, maybe that's the issue.

I think you mentioned something that's key here.

In order for me to keto, I'd have to cut my vegetable consumption.

I'm always surprised by the claims of how many veggies keto eaters are consuming because of this.

I'm not bragging or anything, it's just that I'm a volume eater, so padding my meals with a LOT of vegetables is sort of what I do to feel satiated.

At any rate, it's the comparative words used about quantity that always give me pause, because as you said, it does give rise to the question of the role of vegetables and fruits in their previous diets.

I have a pretty straight forward "diet". I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, vegetables, fruit, tubers, and whole grains. My "treat" foods? Mostly I stick with having sugar free jelly on rice cakes.

Anyway, I'm rambling at this point. My main point was about the vegetable consumption, and um, yeah. I'd have to cut it way back to eat keto.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    What is carbaholism? Is it a thing?

If there is. I’m one of them, and plan on keeping it that way. :D
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Amen to that!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Keto over here and I eat at least half a plate of veggies with dinner and lunch and sometimes breakfast. When you count net carbs, you tend to gravitate towards big salads with lean protein. I always have loved salads and veggies. Now I eat lower carb veggies than I did before—that’s the only difference
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I’ve gone 25 years bingeing on a daily basis, or close. More recently, I’ve gone 5.5 months without a single unplanned “treat.” I have no guilt or shame related to eating anymore, and I’ve lost 25 pounds.

You can nitpick my logic all you want, but results talk. I take a weekend off once a month or so around holidays and major events, to make life easier and to make sure I don’t begin to feel deprived. As I said, by the end of each one it’s a relief to return to keto, which I probably would’ve just done decades ago and avoided all this angst if I'd known about it back then.

Congrats on your weight loss progress and getting control. I am sure it is a relief.

I haven't nitpicked your logic. I asked a simple question about trying a higher percentage. You claimed trying it might be scary and then proceeded to say you had experience being off Keto altogether. I don't understand, then, why trying a higher percentage would be scary if you know you can resume your 10 percent without problems.

You seem like a reasonable person which is why I asked you. If you wish to follow the Keto macros for the rest of your life without question that is your choice.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I’ve gone 25 years bingeing on a daily basis, or close. More recently, I’ve gone 5.5 months without a single unplanned “treat.” I have no guilt or shame related to eating anymore, and I’ve lost 25 pounds.

You can nitpick my logic all you want, but results talk. I take a weekend off once a month or so around holidays and major events, to make life easier and to make sure I don’t begin to feel deprived. As I said, by the end of each one it’s a relief to return to keto, which I probably would’ve just done decades ago and avoided all this angst if I'd known about it back then.

Congrats on your weight loss progress and getting control. I am sure it is a relief.

I haven't nitpicked your logic. I asked a simple question about trying a higher percentage. You claimed trying it might be scary and then proceeded to say you had experience being off Keto altogether. I don't understand, then, why trying a higher percentage would be scary if you know you can resume your 10 percent without problems.

You seem like a reasonable person which is why I asked you. If you wish to follow the Keto macros for the rest of your life without question that is your choice.

I didn’t say it might be scary; I said there was no advantage. I’m quite content at 10% with no nutritional concerns. Somewhere above 10% is the ceiling I break through to go back to my “normal,” but I’m not motivated to nail down exactly how far above, because this is working.

I couldn’t fit a whole slice of cake into 15 or 20% (especially since eating a slice of cake makes me want another slice of cake more than just about anything in the world, including fitting into my cute new jeans). I CAN fit a BITE of cake into 10%.

There’s obviously middle ground there, but I don’t “need” half a piece of cake, know what I mean? Sure, of course, I could hypothetically use those extra carbs for more fruit, but as it is I have carbs I use on dark chocolate now and then. So I must not be hard up for extra, and there’s no upside to rocking the boat.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I didn’t say it might be scary; I said there was no advantage. I’m quite content at 10% with no nutritional concerns. Somewhere above 10% is the ceiling I break through to go back to my “normal,” but I’m not motivated to nail down exactly how far above, because this is working.

I couldn’t fit a whole slice of cake into 15 or 20% (especially since eating a slice of cake makes me want another slice of cake more than just about anything in the world, including fitting into my cute new jeans). I CAN fit a BITE of cake into 10%.

There’s obviously middle ground there, but I don’t “need” half a piece of cake, know what I mean? Sure, of course, I could hypothetically use those extra carbs for more fruit, but as it is I have carbs I use on dark chocolate now and then. So I must not be hard up for extra, and there’s no upside to rocking the boat.

Even if it planned to stick to 10 percent I would still want to know if I could do 20+ without problems. Knowledge of my own boundaries is all the upside I would need. It would give me confidence in food situations that are outside my control. But if you are happy don't bother.

Personally I hate cake so I wouldn't even want the bite. :tongue:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Keto over here and I eat at least half a plate of veggies with dinner and lunch and sometimes breakfast. When you count net carbs, you tend to gravitate towards big salads with lean protein. I always have loved salads and veggies. Now I eat lower carb veggies than I did before—that’s the only difference

I looked at your diary, and I'd still have to cut my produce intake to match yours. It's the fat intake that does it. My fat intake is about half yours. Protein intake is about the same, though.

And it's funny, I don't even think, compared to some of the other posters on these boards whose veggie intakes I know, that I eat loads and loads of veggies, even though I know I eat a lot. But this is all relative, it seems.