Anyone been successful with Couch to 5k?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great start! Well done! Those first runs are often the hardest.

I would really recommend running 3x a week with a day's break inbetween each run. Your body needs time to recover. You're going to exhaust yourself and give up.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I've downloaded the Couch to 5k app today and am going to give it a try. I enjoy running but also hate it at the same time as I can't seem to pace myself correctly or I become so out of breath so I thought I'd give this app a whirl. I would love to run 5k without feeling so out of breath.

Has anyone else tried this app and found it to be helpful?

I found it was a great way to get me started with running. I now run 5Ks regularly and occasional 10Ks! I think C25K is great for helping with pacing because you quickly work out that to maintain the longer time periods you need to slow yourself down and then everything just clicks into place!

Another top I would give is don't feel disheartened if at the end of the program you can't run a whole 5K within 30 minutes. The goal is to graduate to running for 30 minutes without stopping, after that you can work on your speed and see how long 5K takes you to complete. It took me a whole year after C25K to actually crack the 30 minute mark on my Parkruns and my daily runs are more at a pace of 5K in 35 minutes.

The distances vs times make me laugh.. I'm doing the 10k version so I'm around the stage of running 5k, today I thought I did pretty well! Only took me 45 minutes!

I also moved on to the 10k version. I've gotten a little faster over the last 3 weeks (I'm on week 13, with the 22 minute intervals) but I'm still super slow as well. I love it, though, and use that time to catch up on my podcasts and enjoy some "me" time :)
  • bdushane
    bdushane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am just completing the program with my "run" on Sunday. I know I really jog, but I'm good with it and am confident I can complete the full 5K. You can do this!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I started it a few years ago but outpaced it and dropped it. I went from huffing and puffing at the top of two flights of stairs at New Years that year to running a half marathon in October of the same year. Unfortunately, the next spring I had knee surgery and haven't been able to run since.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and realized I hate running. I did make some progress fairly quickly. I just never completed it because I just don't like it.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Remember it's perfectly acceptable to repeat weeks as well. If a particular week seems difficult, just repeat that week again. It will give your body time to adapt to the work load.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Have I been successful with it? It depends on your definition of success.
    Have I run a 5K yet.....no, not yet, but I'm not sure that's my aim in using this app.

Have I noticed an increase in my endurance.......hell yes, I have.

I enjoy using the app with random jogs through my neighborhood, and when jogging on my treadmill. I have noticed my ability to sustain longer and longer runs has increased, and my speed has increased as well.
    When I started using it on the treadmill, my walk speed as 3.0mph and my run/jog speed was 6.0mph. Now, my walk speed is 4.0mph, and I alternate my run/jog speed between 7.0 and 8.0mph.

In my neighborhood runs, I notice that I am covering the same distance in a shorter amount of time.

In my opinion, I would consider all of the accomplishments above a success.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i did it last year and it was really awesome.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well I did it, first run yesterday, I'm doing run two today. I know it says only 3x a week but I'm assuming thats for people who maybe are first starting exercise etc.

It was so nice to complete 2.59km without that awful feeling of breathlessness because of the walks in-between.
    Just wanted to second what was said above - don't start off from zero to running every day unless you want to be injured. It's a new type of activity which can be very hard on your legs even if you are in good condition already and you don't need shin splints, piriformis problems, or any of the other running-specific overuse injuries! You get stronger during periods of REST, not during periods of training, so get that rest!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It starts with C25K and before you know it you're training for your first 50K trail run. I've done over a dozen half marathons, 2 fulls, and too many 5K/10K/other distances to keep track. Proud graduate of C25K.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I did it, first run yesterday, I'm doing run two today. I know it says only 3x a week but I'm assuming thats for people who maybe are first starting exercise etc.

It was so nice to complete 2.59km without that awful feeling of breathlessness because of the walks in-between.

the programme doesn't include consecutive running days for a reason.

you can still do other cardio (cycling or swimming are particularly good) or strength training on non running days, but i really wouldn't recommend running consecutive days when you're new to running.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Just to echo what MM said.

TAKE Your rest days!!

If you do run 1 on Monday, don't do 2 until Wednesday. etc. that being said-- The program is set up with an extra rest day per week. Feel free to skip that one. So Week 1-Monday, Wed, Friday-Week 2 Sunday Tuesday Thursday, Week 3 Saturday-Monday, Wed, etc. Is still following the program.

But if you don't follow the program, you can run into problems. In addition, The program is broken into week(3 day) sessions for a reason. If you have trouble with a run-Most people can't finish week 4 on the first go. Finish the week-OR!!! go back to day 1 of the previous week. If you fail a run, plan to repeat that week, but you can either drop back to the previous week day 1, or complete the week before attempting to repeat it.
  • amryllin
    amryllin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you want some entertainment while you run I did the Zombies, run, 5k training app, I now have just the Zombies, run! app and I love it, but I am a wee bit of a nerd!

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I started C25K Jan 2017. Now I'm running a half June 2. I'll be slow (2 1/2 hours) but I've done a few runs of this length around the neighborhood so I already know I can do it.
  • 43Ninebark
    43Ninebark Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Something I found very helpful with beginning to run was doing 20 mins of "Spurt Work." I'd walk, brisk walk, jog, run, sprint for 20 mins--- in different patterns. Sprint about 1-2 house lengths, run about 2-5 house lengths, jog 4-12 house lengths, brisk walk however long, walk to calm down. The idea was too get my heart rate up. It didn't take very long to get it up doing Spurt Work, so I didn't race to get my heart pounding right off the bat! Lol

And also, strength training made a huge difference with running. My legs were stronger.

Oh gosh--- and having proper shoes. When I first started running, I thought that running shoes were just another way for people to get money out of health addicts, so I just used whatever old shoe. If I remember correctly, it was a sneaker but just flat at the bottom. I ended up having little swollen areas at the back of my knees and on either side of my achilles tendons!! So now I use good running shoes.

Running is what helps me lose fat. My friend said doing steps helps her lose fat, but I doubt that steps would do it for me. So from that, I gathered that you have to find what works for you.

The most I ever ran was 3 miles. I got back into it about 3 weeks ago with a big group from my neighborhood doing Couch to 5K- but they adapted the schedule to do it in 10 weeks. They were actually 3 weeks into it when I joined and the plan was to run 3 mins, walk 2- 6 times. I thought I might die because I'd been lazy, but I gave it a go and was fine!!!! I swear its much easier for me to run and stay strong with a group than it is when I'm by myself. I still go out because I don't want it to be really hard when we all gather again and have to run longer based on the schedule, but it'd be nice to find a running partner for during the week!