Green Smoothie Detox - Make Fresh Or What Store Bought Brand Do You Recommend?

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I make green smoothies on occasion. I dont believe in detoxes. Our liver and kidneys already remove toxins. I make them sometimes as a way to get more green veggies in my diet. I usually use some kale or spinach, apple, kiwi, pineapple, chia seeds, water, and some honey.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like lime smoothies.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am about to start a 5 day green smoothie detox. May go longer. Possibly 10 days. I came across this article, its an infographic on "how to make the perfect green smoothie that actually taste great", https://www.changeinseconds.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-green-smoothie/, but sometimes I may just want to quickly grab a store bought brand.

Any healthy green smoothie brands you recommend?

Otherwise I will print and go with what the infographic says and go shopping. :smile:

Thank you for your assistance.

I am not reading this thread (because I can only imagine) but know that this can cause kidney failure. Google Acute Oxalate Nephropathy
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I have smoothies most days late spring - early fall. I add protein powder and foods that will add fat. This is very, very satiating and takes hours to drink. (I put it in and out of the frig.) For less calories, reduce flax seeds, banana, etc.

I vary the greens - if I have Swiss char or spinach, I replace half the kale with that.

It takes about 15 min to make, including clean up.

k0mj8pcm8h2y.jpg
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath and doctor who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

How do you know you do not?

Test results. Certain foods has effected my digestion. So it is not operating optimally. My question is about fresh or what healthy brand to recommend.

Stop eating those foods. Things will get back to normal after you stop ingesting them.

That is step 1. Step 2 is to get rid of the allergens built up in the body, hence tons of greens, vegetables, some fruits, healthy fats and protein as per doctor orders based on my situation.

You have to get rid of the built up allergens which is toxins and someone with allergies will not recover until you get rid of the built up.

Who has explained allergies to you because they are not comprehending how the body works. Allergens don't build up in your body and a smoothie will not eliminate them. Its actually insulting to people who have true food allergies the way you think the body reacts in response to an allergy.

When you have food allergies, your body can't digest foods you are allergic to very well. It builds up in the colon. When you cleanse the built up, the allergy you developed is resolved.

Isn't that intolerance? and why if they affect you do you eat them?!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi,

I am about to start a 5 day green smoothie detox. May go longer. Possibly 10 days. I came across this article, its an infographic on "how to make the perfect green smoothie that actually taste great", https://www.changeinseconds.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-green-smoothie/, but sometimes I may just want to quickly grab a store bought brand.

Otherwise I will print and go with what the infographic says and go shopping. :smile:

I am not reading this thread (because I can only imagine) but know that this can cause kidney failure. Google Acute Oxalate Nephropathy

Oh, man - sad, but ironic, innit?

https://www.ajkd.org/article/S0272-6386(17)30863-6/fulltext
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi,

TBF, it should be noted that there were other conditions which likely led to this outcome.

I'm not saying that smoothie detoxes are good, I'm just saying that they're most likely simply a waste of time and money and not harmful for people who don't have the pre-existing conditions that led to the issues noted here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hi,

TBF, it should be noted that there were other conditions which likely led to this outcome.

I'm not saying that smoothie detoxes are good, I'm just saying that they're most likely simply a waste of time and money and not harmful for people who don't have the pre-existing conditions that led to the issues noted here.

Yeah, I read it, and caught the pre-existing conditions thing. But bottom line, no one is getting "detoxed" and some people are getting "toxed".

If people like green smoothies, they may not even be a waste of time and money. Likely more nutritious than my IPAs. ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yeah, I read it, and caught the pre-existing conditions thing. But bottom line, no one is getting "detoxed" and some people are getting "toxed".

If people like green smoothies, they may not even be a waste of time and money. Likely more nutritious than my IPAs. ;)

Oh, to be sure, no one is getting detoxed. And smoothies can be enjoyable for many people. I like them in the summer, myself. My favorite green in them is actually parsley. It has a nice bright fresh flavor and it goes really well with pineapple. Anyway, no, I agree, they're only a waste of time and money if you're using them to "detox" and not as part of your overall meal planning.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I.make smoothies using fresh vegetables and fruit and sometimes I will use frozen fruit. I feel I have better control over whats in the drink versus buying them already made.

I used to drink Odwalla but I cant vouch for their calorie, sugar or nutritional intake.

Do whats best for you.