Green Smoothie Detox - Make Fresh Or What Store Bought Brand Do You Recommend?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You make a good point. I believe you can do it with food but you're probably right that it will take a long time. I have NAFLD and am trying to fix it by eating a diet with all the best foods for the liver and focusing on micro nutrient levels.

You are right. Anything that is in a supplement can be found in food but you need to be careful to consistently get the right amount and account for how those nutrients are soluble. I would also make sure this approach is approved by a doctor.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with my liver. I have familial hypercholesterolemia and for years my enzymes were high. for me it took the low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet with meds for the cholesterol,and to get my enzymes into the normal ranges. it took months to do that once I started the diet. before hand they would rollercoaster,they were all over the place.I never once thought I needed to detox. my liver was trying to do what it was supposed to do and with the genetic defect it tells my liver to do something else. so for me I have to watch my diet. dr never said to eat certain foods or take certain supplements either.I do take supplements but not for that reason and my dr knows which ones Im on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    sexysizeme wrote: »
    I.make smoothies using fresh vegetables and fruit and sometimes I will use frozen fruit. I feel I have better control over whats in the drink versus buying them already made.

I used to drink Odwalla but I cant vouch for their calorie, sugar or nutritional intake.

Do whats best for you.

Ya, I use frozen strawberries in my smoothies. They are only $2 a pound at Market Basket and are very convenient, reliable quality, and no waste.

The strawberry plants in my garden are covered with blossoms - I can't wait! But since I have much less plants at my new place, I probably won't put any of them in smoothies. At my last place, I had so many I could gorge on them and share them with the birds and squirrels. Here, I'll be putting up a fence and bird netting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I actually really love frozen fruits (and also frozen greens) for smoothies, and won't use fresh strawberries that way. I prefer to save those for uses where their amazing flavor is more distinct and highlighted.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my friend who is a registered dietitian said that she worked closely with drs and so on and that they dont know half of what RDs do,some drs think they know it all.she is following a different path and going to a school that focuses on nutrition in a culinary school(weird I know) and she said that they provide more nutrition education than the college up there does its medical students. its an ivy league college too. so that just goes to show you that drs dont know everything about nutrition/dietary needs.

Im not knocking any drs or anything like that. They have hard jobs some very stressful.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath and doctor who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

Are you on dialysis? Are any of your organs failing? If you don't have actual concerns with your liver or kidneys, your system is running fine. And anything that is actually accumulating in your body like heavy metals would need specific chelation therapy, not green drinks.

Stick to the question. :)

Please understand, this is an open forum and many come here via Google or other paths and may come across your post.

To that end, it is important to respond to the ideas and concepts brought up by your post, as opposed to to a simple response, or no response, based on what you are looking for.

So, you do not have the ability, nor should you, to limit the responses in the thread to just what you want them to be.

It's important to point out the uselessness of the detox smoothies so the next person wondering about them has some useful information, like that they are a waste of time and money.

So, take what you want from this thread but understand it's not all about you.

Green smoothies just like green juices is filled with healthy vitamins and nutrients. A little weird how people would think consuming a beverage with healthy ingredients is worthless. But your right its your opinion.

Consuming green smoothies solely for days on end to "detox" or "remove allergens" is what I think a lot of us have concerns about.

What you plan to do is really a "strict food restriction nutrition/diet plan" rather than a "detox" you have made up your mind on.

Having a green smoothie as long as you consume them as part of a varied diet (excluding your known allergens ) few would shake their heads about.

I have concerns for your health if you follow this plan too long. But in the end, the choice about what foods you will eat is yours. But it does lack enough macros , that could cause some issues for you it seems to me.

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath and doctor who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

Are you on dialysis? Are any of your organs failing? If you don't have actual concerns with your liver or kidneys, your system is running fine. And anything that is actually accumulating in your body like heavy metals would need specific chelation therapy, not green drinks.

Stick to the question. :)

Please understand, this is an open forum and many come here via Google or other paths and may come across your post.

To that end, it is important to respond to the ideas and concepts brought up by your post, as opposed to to a simple response, or no response, based on what you are looking for.

So, you do not have the ability, nor should you, to limit the responses in the thread to just what you want them to be.

It's important to point out the uselessness of the detox smoothies so the next person wondering about them has some useful information, like that they are a waste of time and money.

So, take what you want from this thread but understand it's not all about you.

Green smoothies just like green juices is filled with healthy vitamins and nutrients. A little weird how people would think consuming a beverage with healthy ingredients is worthless. But your right its your opinion.

People are telling you that it isn't necessary for detoxing, your kidneys and liver do this.
    No one said it was worthless as a food/drink option.

Sorry you don't know why I am doing this, unless you read some of the comments or have access to my medical records.

You also don't know whether or not my detox organs are operating optimally, my doctors and I know what my situation is and what I need to do as per their instructions which I am not relaying here as my question is about fresh or recommendation for healthy store bought brand.

I have decided to make my smoothies fresh and stick to fresh whole foods for the green smoothies since I eat fresh foods anyway.

I was looking for a convenient way to drink green smoothies for 5 days. :)

Fyi: Many vegetables that have been frozen have more nutrition than their fresh veggie counterparts.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So wondering if you made it through five days???
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of incorporating a honkin' big veggie smoothie into my days. Not for detox purposes, but because i don't eat near enough veggies, and it seems like an easy and quick way to get them in. I haven't made one yet, as i can imagine it wont be pleasant tasting... I don't want to add in extras such as protein powder, fruits etc, I just want a veggie fix and be done with it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of incorporating a honkin' big veggie smoothie into my days. Not for detox purposes, but because i don't eat near enough veggies, and it seems like an easy and quick way to get them in. I haven't made one yet, as i can imagine it wont be pleasant tasting... I don't want to add in extras such as protein powder, fruits etc, I just want a veggie fix and be done with it.

Do NOT use broccoli. It's feels scratchy while swallowing. Spinach with carrots is nice. Celery is stringy. Tomatoes are good, but the skin leaves chunks. Cucumber and bell peppers are good.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Do NOT use broccoli. It's feels scratchy while swallowing. Spinach with carrots is nice. Celery is stringy. Tomatoes are good, but the skin leaves chunks. Cucumber and bell peppers are good.
    I second the spinach and carrots. I've never had a problem with celery being stringy but I have a blendtec, definitely one of the best blenders. I can't stand bell peppers in a smoothie, nasty. I personally like cabbage in mine and a little onion. I use peanut butter, cocoa, and stevia for masking flavor.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Why not just make a soup? A lot more appetising in winter! I love zucchini, Cauliflower and broccoli. Adding leek or onion is nice too... (I also chuck in a small amount of blue cheese)