Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is requiring posting calories of menu items going to help reduce obesity?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    philrtx wrote: »
    Marginally, if any. The only people checking labels are people already engaged.

I have noticed these labels but had to ask myself would I have 5, 10 or 50 years ago and I expect the answer would be NO.
  • philrtx
    philrtx Posts: 68 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    As much as people claim it isn't- calories are taught in American schools

And always have been, one of the reasons I get amused by people that act like the calorie-in/calorie-out model is some kind of ground-breaking, cutting edge science.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Having calorie information readily available and visible makes it easier for those who wish to watch their calorie intake to do so. However, a lot of people may not know how many calories they personally need so that information is not useful for weight management until they know that.

Agree with all this, and it makes me wonder if the same lawmakers that pushed to make the calorie counts on restaurant menus shouldn’t also start some sort of a marketing campaign to encourage people to understand their TDEE - a quick call out at the bottom of the menu or in other avenues to reach consumers and encourage them to figure out their individual calorie requirements would be a start. Right now there’s the 2000 cal disclaimer, and sure, most people don’t read the fine print - but if there was a “Know Your Own Numbers” campaign, with a link to a site (like Scooby but validated by NIH or something) to determine a starting point for those interested...
    Would also need the disclaimer (and I will head it off at the pass before someone here says that no one can know their own CICO to the decimal point) that this is an estimate to start you out and your individual requirements may vary due to a number of factors.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    it could also potentially open the door for lawsuits - someone misreads the posted calorie count and gains weight...and therefore its the restaurants fault (oh wait - didn't that happen with Chipotle)