plateau help - hypothyroid - I am getting SO frustrated.

Options

Replies

• renzis
    renzis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. What your facing without meds is difficult. Right now, your body is hanging onto to every ounce of weight that it can. As soon as you start on the meds and keep cutting calories and exercising, you should start seeing good results. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's approx. 4 years ago. I was eating 1,000 calories a day and couldn't lose weight and sometimes I would actually gain. Once I went on the meds I was able to start eating more calories and exercising a lot and dropped quite a bit of weight pretty fast.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    renzis wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged. What your facing without meds is difficult. Right now, your body is hanging onto to every ounce of weight that it can. As soon as you start on the meds and keep cutting calories and exercising, you should start seeing good results. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's approx. 4 years ago. I was eating 1,000 calories a day and couldn't lose weight and sometimes I would actually gain. Once I went on the meds I was able to start eating more calories and exercising a lot and dropped quite a bit of weight pretty fast.

results wont be the same for everyone though. it can take time for your thyroid to get to a stable level before you will see weight loss,and it may not stay stable all the time. drs may have to tweak dosages often.it can take awhile for the meds to start working. My daughter has been on her meds over a year and no weight loss yet. but her levels keep rising so thats most likely the culprit for the no weight loss. so she has to go back next month to see if they will up her dose or put her on something else
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

results wont be the same for everyone though. it can take time for your thyroid to get to a stable level before you will see weight loss,and it may not stay stable all the time. drs may have to tweak dosages often.it can take awhile for the meds to start working. My daughter has been on her meds over a year and no weight loss yet. but her levels keep rising so thats most likely the culprit for the no weight loss. so she has to go back next month to see if they will up her dose or put her on something else

not sure what they have your daughter on - but i learnt from experience that I can tolerate levo (generic), but synthroid is a no-go (even though notionally they should be the same)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

not sure what they have your daughter on - but i learnt from experience that I can tolerate levo (generic), but synthroid is a no-go (even though notionally they should be the same)

shes on levo 50 mcg. yeah her endo said that for some the generic doesnt work as well as the name brand or vice versa. her levels are going up so they will either up the dose or try something else.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

shes on levo 50 mcg. yeah her endo said that for some the generic doesnt work as well as the name brand or vice versa. her levels are going up so they will either up the dose or try something else.

The active ingredients are identical - this is mandated by law. You can request a Certificate of Analysis for every drug product and this will show the parameters and results for every lot manufactured. Comparing branded to generic isn't going to show anything. It's the inactive ingredients that may be a factor. The vast majority of the time there is no real difference other than getting cheaper meds. Honestly globalism has reduced the number of manufacturers that makes it highly likely that the branded and generic are made with the identical ingredients or even identical manufacturing lines.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

The active ingredients are identical - this is mandated by law. You can request a Certificate of Analysis for every drug product and this will show the parameters and results for every lot manufactured. Comparing branded to generic isn't going to show anything. It's the inactive ingredients that may be a factor. The vast majority of the time there is no real difference other than getting cheaper meds. Honestly globalism has reduced the number of manufacturers that makes it highly likely that the branded and generic are made with the identical ingredients or even identical manufacturing lines.

it might be the inactive ingredients, but i know i started on levo and was stable for nearly 2yrs; went on military orders and got switched to synthroid and they adjusted my dose 3 times in that year; back to my civilian doc, back on levo and have been relatively stable since
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

it might be the inactive ingredients, but i know i started on levo and was stable for nearly 2yrs; went on military orders and got switched to synthroid and they adjusted my dose 3 times in that year; back to my civilian doc, back on levo and have been relatively stable since

I have a similar experience with levo vs. Synthroid and need the branded version. Not sure what ingredient I have an issue with. I will say that hormones, especially pill formulations are some of the most challenging drugs to manufacture.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I have a similar experience with levo vs. Synthroid and need the branded version. Not sure what ingredient I have an issue with. I will say that hormones, especially pill formulations are some of the most challenging drugs to manufacture.

i can even feel it in some of the different generic formulations - if i had started off on synthroid i might have been better off (but who knows)....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    while I dont take anything for thyroid as I dont have thyroid issues, but with asthma meds I noticed a difference between generic inhalers vs name brand. the name brands worked better than the generic did for me. that was years ago though. still take inhalers but only one is generic.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

The active meds are not the issue but the fillers. Many who are hypothyroid have gut issues and tolerate certain fillers better than others. A good example is when Armour Thyroid reformulated their fillers from dextrose to cellulose-many couldn't tolerate and digest as well and labs and symptoms worsened.
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In regards to your "suggestion" it does not work that way at all. All thyroid does is potentially cause an increased uptake of water weight. It does not inhibit fat loss.

This does not seem true to me- that “all thyroid does is cause increased waterweight” It is scientifically proven that people with hypothyroid have lower body temps and lower heart rates - evidence of a slower metabolic rate- this, not just water weight, can make weight loss difficult. If my thyroid was just making me hold onto water - than my week of drinking only distilled water and avoiding sodium- would have made a HUGE difference in water weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    In regards to your "suggestion" it does not work that way at all. All thyroid does is potentially cause an increased uptake of water weight. It does not inhibit fat loss.

This does not seem true to me- that “all thyroid does is cause increased waterweight” It is scientifically proven that people with hypothyroid have lower body temps and lower heart rates - evidence of a slower metabolic rate- this, not just water weight, can make weight loss difficult. If my thyroid was just making me hold onto water - than my week of drinking only distilled water and avoiding sodium- would have made a HUGE difference in water weight.

my daughter is hypothyroid and her heart rate and body temp is not lower.her heart rate is higher than mine(im more fit of course) and her body temp is higher than mine. mine is normally 96 degrees . today was the first time it was normal in a long time. mine is always lower than normal. I dont have a thyroid disorder. I have a slower metabolic rate too. But I have a metabolic diorder. her heart rate is high at times. so saying its lower and body temps are lower obviously doesnt apply to everyone.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yup.

I spent the better part of a year being undermedicated, before finally getting in with an endocrinologist who did *just* thyroid. He told me that the water will come off in time, but that it could take a few weeks after the dose stabilized. Right now, I'm simply thrilled that my losses are actually matching my deficit again.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Should I just eat "maintenance" until I get my hypothyroid meds? and then start again when my hormones start balancing out? because, right now, weight loss and diet are ALL I can think about. Focusing THIS long on something and not seeing a result is frustrating and depressing

I think you should stop worrying and thinking about weight loss for right now. Eat and exercise the way you are which is keeping your weight steady. Start your medication and get things more in balance.

I was recently diagnosed and started taking levothyroxine. My weight had been staying steady for a year before this. I decided I will not worry about losing for awhile. It has not been long so I don't know when I will start losing again. I do already feel better in many ways.
  • collectingblues
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If one is holding onto water weight for reasons other than added sodium consumption, then avoiding sodium and drinking water (distilled or otherwise) may not be effective in eliminating that water weight.

And, appropos of nothing whatsoever: You know what's fun about internet forums? You can actually be arguing science with a scientist who has relevant expertise, and not even realize it. ;)

Yup. The water retention that comes with thyroid isn't like other water retention. It's fluid, but it's not related to intake or sodium.

I tried increasing my water. I tried decreasing my water. I tried increasing sodium (the feeling being that I was eating at lower baseline levels, so even going up to 2300 mg was throwing it out of control). I tried decreasing sodium.

It wouldn't shove off.

You know what finally made it go away/start to go away? Getting my dose corrected (and I added a supplement that supposedly focuses on myxedema). I have spent a ridiculous amount of time in the bathroom over the past three weeks. It's sort of bizarrely awesome.
  • collectingblues
    Options

Actually, the metabolic difference is only about 5 percent of your RMR. It's really not all that much at all.
  • drockncrisso
    Options
    So if hypothyroid does not slow metabolism- why did my MD say that it is contributing to my difficulty losing weight? And what is the low heart rate and feeling cold all the time? If I have a two month plateau while eating 1200-1400 cals a day (except when I run long distance- then it’s 1800) I can’t see why water weight would keep the scale from changing.. if it’s just fluid, does that mean I AM losing weight, but my body just keeps retaining exponentially more water equal to what I’m losing?
    The slow metabolism thing makes sense to me- so I’m trying to wrap my brain around how that’s not true and it’s just fluid.
    Also- when we’re taking about trying to create a 500 a day deficit with an already low BMR, 5-7% reduction in RMR does make a difference, as far as I can tell.. I mean.. if I’m eating 1200, but my RMR is 87 cals lower than I think, I should be eating just over 1100...right?? Over a week that’s nearly 700 cals further from my goal. It adds up. Is there any way to get ones metabolic rate tested? So I can stop guessing and just know how much I’m supposed to be taking in??
    People say - stop worrying about dieting, but I HAVE no choice apparently. I have to worry about keeping my calories down insanely low, apparently just to maintain my current overweight status. I certainly don’t want to gain weight. Why do I have to eat 1200 just to maintain if there is nothing wrong with my metabolism? It doesn’t make sense to me. If my BMR is 1491, I should be losing weight eating 1200, right??
  • drockncrisso
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I did not eat 1200 all week this week. I relaxed a bit.. this is what my calories and net calories look like (based on Fitbit adjustment- which I am sure is over estimating cals burned) ... I had ONE day where MFD said I ate to maintain. I feel it important to add that, yes I weigh and measure my food and when it is pre-packaged, I have started logging 110% of the amt of prepackaged food (like my protein bar says its 270, but I log 296) to account for the possibility of underestimating calories on packaging. The other days, I did my best to stay around 1200 net- where MFD says I would lose a pound this week. Based on that, I would assume that I should have lost .5lbs if I am lucky. .. even if Fitbit is horribly wrong: my BMR is supposedly 1491 and my TDEE is 1789 and I ate around 1600.. that should be maintenance when you figure that I am NOT just laying in bed all day.. buuut... I gained half a pound since last Thursday. Evidence that, not worrying about sticking to 1200 no matter what, does NOT work for me, right? mgv3jal5moze.png
    gzx8a4tzmvc0.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So if hypothyroid does not slow metabolism- why did my MD say that it is contributing to my difficulty losing weight? And what is the low heart rate and feeling cold all the time? If I have a two month plateau while eating 1200-1400 cals a day (except when I run long distance- then it’s 1800) I can’t see why water weight would keep the scale from changing.. if it’s just fluid, does that mean I AM losing weight, but my body just keeps retaining exponentially more water equal to what I’m losing?
    The slow metabolism thing makes sense to me- so I’m trying to wrap my brain around how that’s not true and it’s just fluid.
    Also- when we’re taking about trying to create a 500 a day deficit with an already low BMR, 5-7% reduction in RMR does make a difference, as far as I can tell.. I mean.. if I’m eating 1200, but my RMR is 87 cals lower than I think, I should be eating just over 1100...right?? Over a week that’s nearly 700 cals further from my goal. It adds up. Is there any way to get ones metabolic rate tested? So I can stop guessing and just know how much I’m supposed to be taking in??
    People say - stop worrying about dieting, but I HAVE no choice apparently. I have to worry about keeping my calories down insanely low, apparently just to maintain my current overweight status. I certainly don’t want to gain weight. Why do I have to eat 1200 just to maintain if there is nothing wrong with my metabolism? It doesn’t make sense to me. If my BMR is 1491, I should be losing weight eating 1200, right??

you dont take 500 off your BMR to lose. your BMR is what your body needs to survive and function. you take 500 calories off your TDEE which is you BMR+ activity calories). as for maintenance its not going to be the same as your BMR. your maintenance is the calories you need to maintain your weight that you are now. Yes there are ways to get your BMR and metabolism tested. but again it will mean what your body needs calorie wise just to function. as for not losing weight if your thyroid is not under control with meds then weight loss is going to be very slow or could possibly be non existent. My daughter hasnt lost ANY weight since she started taking her meds over a year ago.

my daughter even when eating low calories doesnt appear to be losing weight either but I see where she has lost some fat. the scale however hasnt budged much. it fluctuates a lot though. the low heart rate could be many things and feeling cold all the time could mean anemia or another type of vitamin deficiency,not just your thyroid. it states that you have a Increased sensitivity to cold with hypothyroidism.

my daughter is the opposite. she is always warm to the touch and the cold doesnt bother her, she doesnt get cold often and had anemia at one point(thats when she was complaining its cold). a 2 month plateau can mean you are eating more than you think epecially if you arent weighing your food(I dont know if you said you did or not). But from what Ive witnessed with my daughter even when she was eating less than 1200 calories she wasnt losing anything and she weighed everything.maybe it was water retention. maybe not its hard to tell

so when you have a thyroid issue you can have other underlying health issues too. some women can have PCOS, some have insulin resistance,some may have high cholesterol some may have a combo of things.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044302/