Who increased calories to lose weight?

Options
Please tell the details (calories change) etc. of your story. Thanks.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Body mass loss (fat and LBM) is caused by a calorie deficit; the bigger the deficit, the higher the rate of loss is. There is no point at which decreasing the deficit increases the deficit. There is a point where you start losing a lot more LBM (as a percentage) and you want to avoid going that low.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Weight vs fat. I recently changed around my calories to consume more during the week when I’m lifting & recovering, less on weekends when I loaf around and drink margaritas. Overall, I added an average of 100 cal/day, but it worked out to 300 cal more on week days (less on weekends obviously) vs previously banking weekend calories. Also became a little more disciplined about taking my rest day (I slide into a habit of walking 4 miles on my rest day to earn 2 more glasses wine :D ). Not sure if that made any difference at all. Anyway, I lost 2 pounds water weight in a couple weeks. Given the math, I do not expect there was any change in lean or fat mass.

ETA: my 7-day rolling average weight dropped 2 pounds, but I still had daily weight variations of about 2 lb.
  • beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The impoverished can definitely end up obese in the US, as counterintuitive as that sounds. Some of the cheapest protein sources are hot dogs, high fat hamburger and skin on chicken leg quarters. The dollar store has big packages of off brand cookies, chips and other snacks. You can also find some canned vegetables that are reasonably priced, but if you are eating on a really limited budget, some of the cheapest things to eat are pretty high calorie.

I agree with this, but I did say that the reality is, they are eating too much. If they are obese, likely they are eating more than a standard 1800-2000 kcal/day.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My own data shows correlation between increased calories and increased daily activity. This has happened the past three years or so. As long as I don't out-eat my activity, I'm good to go.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I used to think that this was the case for me - and sometimes I do drop sudden weight after a short re-feed period if I've been strict with my deficit and really, really active for a period. It's likely as someone wrote above - stress can trigger water retention and during a re-feed, the body feels less stressed so I drop the water weight. I'm not sure why but I sure do appreciate it.

As a rule though, when I eat fewer calories, I feel restricted and will quickly binge away my deficit and progress. Taking a slow and steady approach to weight loss with more allowance (always TRACKED) toward things I enjoy eating has been a critical key in my success.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Purely based on speculation and anecdote, I think some people's activity level is more drastically influenced by calorie-level changes than other people's.

Just as an n=1 experience, I agree with this. While I was in weight loss mode my goal was 1200 net calories to lose ounces a week, and with gradually upping activity I was eating 1400 - 1500. I was basically sedentary outside of purposful exercise, with a desk job and a long commute.

When I retired I continued the same pattern. Now that I'm in maintenance, my predicted net calorie goal under the same conditions is 1250, but I had to up that to 1500 to just maintain, and I'm eating 1800 - 2000 most days to hit that target, because I'm like the energiser bunny in terms of neat. :)

I started maintenance in Feb. and I figured this would gradually level out as I got used to the extra energy, but so far it hasn't changed. YMMV of course.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Adventure9 wrote: »
    My weight loss stalled on the calorie restriction plan I was on and I had a lot of hunger. So I increased my calories by 200 - 300 or so per day and was more satiated. The weight started slowly dropping again over the next few days.

There can be many confounding variables here. How long were you stalled for? Were you hungry enough that you reduced your activity levels (not just working out, but taking stairs, the long way around to the washroom, etc.). Changes in activity masking losses? TOM (not sure if you are female) masking losses? Were you tracking less accurately because you were more hungry (I've done this)? Were you having cheat days/meals to reward yourself for sticking to a stricter calorie budget?
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am on a diet break right now and lost 2lbs. Although, I'm assuming the 2lbs was from the deficit that I have had from before the break. So technically I did lose weight after I increased my calorie intake.
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.