Keto not losing should I just focus on basic diet

Options

Replies

• beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Fat has no bearing on weight loss or gain. Excess calories do. You said yourself the reason why Atkins worked for you - it kept you satisfied. It's a lot easier to lose weight and keep it off when you're eating in a way that keeps you satisfied. Atkins and keto works in that respect for some, and not for others.

My point was that fat intake is emphasized on keto, to the point where I’m wondering if she is taking in too much fat. Fat = calories, in which case excess fat = excess calories. It is unlikely she is getting excess calories from other sources in the keto diet, since carbs are highly restricted (although she could be taking in hidden carbs, of course). If weight loss is slowing significantly, she is getting too many calories from some source.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    beccapax wrote: »

Fat has no bearing on weight loss or gain. Excess calories do. You said yourself the reason why Atkins worked for you - it kept you satisfied. It's a lot easier to lose weight and keep it off when you're eating in a way that keeps you satisfied. Atkins and keto works in that respect for some, and not for others.

My point was that fat intake is emphasized on keto, to the point where I’m wondering if she is taking in too much fat. Fat = calories, in which case excess fat = excess calories. It is unlikely she is getting excess calories from other sources in the keto diet, since carbs are highly restricted (although she could be taking in hidden carbs, of course). If weight loss is slowing significantly, she is getting too many calories from some source.

Yes and no. I've gone over some of my different values without going over my calories, one doesn't automatically mean the other. It sounds more like she hasn't given it long enough to see if it's something she can stick to.