"Do you want a donut"?

Options
2»

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Popping candy amuses me more than it should. It just makes me happy. Yesterday my sister surprised me with pop rocks ice cream. She didn't even ask, she just handed it to me. I felt loved. She cared about me enough to notice such a small detail as how I react to certain foods and to think of me when she saw something with popping candy. I had the calories for it so I ate it, but if I didn't, I would have thanked her and put it in the freezer.

A couple of days ago my mom was eating chocolate wafers and asked me if I wanted some. I said no, I don't have the calories for that today. She said: I discovered this new brand and it's amazing with milk. I felt loved. She cared about me enough to want me to experience a pleasant feeling she was experiencing.

About 2 weeks ago, I explicitly made it clear to my family that I was having a low calorie day and would not be joining them for lunch. They called me to the table for lunch asking if I was sure I didn't want to eat lunch that day. I thanked them and said, no, I'm still sticking to my plan today. I felt loved because they didn't like the thought of me being uncomfortable.

You can butt heads and be over dramatic and defensive over the smallest things people do, but when you stop over-analyzing both parties are happier for it.

P.S: I would have laughed too if someone had such an extreme reaction to a normal common courtesy question.

AM I think what you are describing above are examples of normal and healthy expression of love when you give something to a loved one you'll know they'll enjoy as a treat.

I love to buy my daughter an ice cream for the smile it'll put on her face or feed my dog a frankfurter to watch look of pure devotion. However, I also know that when I offer my brother a bacon sandwich, which he adored before his girlfriend made him become a vegan, I'm doing it for pure devilment and to wind him up. The same way we both have been since we were pouring sand down the back of each others shorts in the sandbox as toddlers.

OP It sounds to me that although you still live with your Mother you have a somewhat difficult relationship with her. (I do too as it happen, mine not yours, but as we live in different countries it's easier LOL). Reading between the lines it feels like you are short handing a whole series of things into this example.

I would suggest you just ignore her just be firm and polite. She's trying to get a reaction from you so don't rise to it. Some people can get oddly jealous when you've made positive changes to your life and they haven't.

Good Luck.

I can see how that is different. I have zero reading comprehension after I wake up. I read OP as separate instances, not as a single conversation.

To be fair it could just as easily be me reading it wrongly. Or perhaps you are more likely to see the good in people and I'm a mean old cynic LOL
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi chandraminick

I'm not sure what kind of relationship you have with your mother, but I suspect that this isn't and isolated case, and that there is many others. If so, I can understand your reactions.

Stick to your plans. You already have the "No" part down, that is really all you can do, that and not discussing your dietary lifestyle with her anymore.

Wishing you all the best!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I get the feeling that there's many more incidences that this is an example of the situation.

Sometimes it feels that the world wants you to fail. 90% of the time it's the way we see it, 10% of the time it's other people. For example: She may have thought she was being helpful with the peanut better, some people use it in healthy snacks. She may have been letting you know there was some there. Alternatively, she may have been trying to say "don't eat my peanut butter". Offering half a doughnut could have been more the fact that she didn't want to eat it all, rather than trying to make you eat more. Sometimes it's not the way we see things.

I would also remind you that it may seems obvious to us that we're tracking and planning our foods, but unless you keep reminding others, they really don't know, or they just don't care. At the end of the day, other people are not as excited as you are about your weightloss than you are. And although some people are amused by diets in general, that's a state on themselves, and not on you.

You're doing well on the Nos, but may I suggest some different way of saying no: "Thanks, but I'm not hungry", "No thanks, I don't want to ruin my appetite for dinner", "I don't really feel like 'X' right now". I know they don't sound much different, but if you make it less about your diet, and more about how you feel, I find that other people respect that a lot more.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    OP, It sounds like you have a difficult relationship with your mom and have for sometime. I agree with the others that you are able to say no and maintain that boundary well. It seems like you are really struggling with this. You may wish to work with a therapist to come to acceptance (not approval) with the relationship that you have with your mother. Working to change your thoughts on your relationship with your mother may reduce your distress. Just a thought.
  • my5favmendbsk
    my5favmendbsk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The fact that's she's laughing right afterwards tells you she's doing it on purpose, she just wants to see your reaction. I think the suggestion of taking it and throwing it away is a good idea....then maybe she won't offer it again if she knows it's going to waste. Before my weight loss, my mom's favorite saying is "oh its not going to kill you to have a ____". and I tell her, having all of that is what got me to the weight I was. I've lost about 50lbs and she has now respected my decisions and doesn't try to give me things she knows I can't eat.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    It is sabotage when you tell someone that you already have your food planned out as well as the times that you plant to eat. Then they suggest some irrelevant food, and you say "I just said that I already have my meals planned out", and they say " I heard you, I just didn't care", and you say "well, I don't care about your peanut butter", and they just laugh and keep trying to give you junk.

I agree with others who have said this seems to be a difficult relationship already, but as for the bold above, that's just plain rude. That's the part that bothers me. Clearly, this is a personal relationship and we don't know what else goes on, but OP, just disengage emotionally. Giving a reaction reinforces the rude behavior so just ignore and don't let it take up space in your head.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is my family is the exact opposite. They will ask me if I can eat a certain type of food or what kind of food can I have. I think it is funny, because they know I do not have diet restrictions, but I know it is out of love.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would read your mother's behavior as trying to sabotage your efforts. It is sad that some people, for whatever reason, do not want to see others succeed. Keep saying "no". If she keeps pushing, do as another poster said and take the offered item and throw it in the trash right in front of her. Maybe she will get tired of seeing the money she spent on the junk being thrown away. Wishing you all the best.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Even with the context above, I'm more inclined to think that it may not be malicious. Many people don't like change. If you and your mom used to eat a certain way, and now things are different, it may be making her uncomfortable and she's trying to regain the familiar. Some people keep that discomfort to themselves (like I would if my family changed their diet to something I don't enjoy) but others just don't have the right filters for that.

Adding fuel to the fire by creating conflict may not be the best approach - that's why I completely disagree with actions like throwing the doughnut in the trash. It would extend the time it takes for her to get used to your current food choices and make your relationship even worse. I would just continue saying no calmly without making a big deal out of it until this adjustment period passes.

I don't know your mom or the kind of relationship you have, so there may be more to it, but I know from experience that reminding myself that other people have an inner world too has helped me defuse several situations that could have resulted in unneeded tension that would have made me and them uncomfortable. This is especially true since you share a living space. You can't control her actions, but you can control yours.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I understand what you’re saying. People have to get that a mother daughter relationship is complicated. So while this may seem harmless it cuts deep because she should support you. Unfortunately that’s not always the case. Just keep your chin up. Respond with no thanks, I don’t eat donuts anymore. Or no thanks I’m full. Even if it’s through gritted teeth. Don’t let on that it gets to you!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP is overreacting. She describes her mother laughing at her while making these remarks - they aren't a failed attempt at kindness (which is incompatible with thoughtlessness anyway) but intentional teasing.

OP! One of the nifty things about being a human is we have words. Use your words. Say, "Please don't offer me food anymore. It doesn't help me stick with my goals." If she says she doesn't care, say, "That's interesting. I thought you loved me and wanted me to be happy and healthy and live a long time. I love you."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    IMO, your mom enjoys getting a rise out of you. She's really getting off on making you angry. I have a brother who does the same thing. I can and have told my brother to eff off and I don't associate with him.

You can:
    - ignore her when she talks about food
    - keep getting angry
    - offer her a piece of fruit whenever she offers you food you don't want
    - take what she offers and throw it out
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of throwing it in the bin is perfect. She's not showing love or affection. She's teasing you which is rude because you already explained to her that you can't have it. That's NOT love. My grandma is like that. She hardly eats herself but feeds others too much and if they refuse she says "Nothing will happen, its fine! Eat it."
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You could always say “sure, I’ll have a donut” and take one, then immediately throw it in the trash so she can see you are serious about your diet. Each time she offers, keep accepting and throwing it away immediately without even saying a word. She might get the message and stop offering you foods like that.

Oh I like this one! Take it with a smile and immediately turn and put it in the trash. Better wasted in the trash than in you! Soon she will stop offering. Hahaha!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love donuts. We have a gourmet locally owned donut shop, a little pricey for a donut, but sooo good. Went there with my son this weekend, He got 2 and I had one, picked one up for his mom too. He had one with me on Saturday and another with his mom on Sunday... I still lose my target amount of weight this week with that, the donut did not hamper it at all.

OP: donuts are okay, just fit it into your caloric intake goal and you will be fine. occasional treats are fine, as long as your overall diet gets you your micros and macros.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can’t control how your mom acts, what she says, or how she treats you. But you can control how it affects you. I think it will take time, but you need to keep reminding yourself that whatever is driving her actions and behavior is her problem and not yours.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You can’t control how your mom acts, what she says, or how she treats you. But you can control how it affects you. I think it will take time, but you need to keep reminding yourself that whatever is driving her actions and behavior is her problem and not yours.

Indeed! So much this!

If her behavior isn't about the donut, but about your reaction, you need to respond accordingly.

Which means firstly you have to get control of your feelings about your response, and then you have to control your response. That means that whether you give her the reaction she's looking for(trying to get a rise out of you) or no reaction. That internally, you're responding with deliberation and not reflex.

It's sort of the 101 of leadership and dealing with customer support representatives. It's OK to look angry or out of control, It's not ok to be angry and out of control.