Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Welcome to new people!
    Believe me, here we all understand how seemingly small things are major accomplishments, especially at the beginning
    :smile:

Great work to those people working the challenge! :smiley:
    @tryin08 - it’s funny but tangible things like wanting to move that silly marble can be as motivating as wanting to lose the pound Lol
    @SammyKlingler - You have been rockin the weight loss lately. Gratz!
    @happygirlxxx - 30,000 steps would put me in intensive care! Lol :smile: Nice work!

Swimming and walking again this week. I love swimming!
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    sTILL HANGING IN THERE thogh not enjoying much sucess. In the interest of honesty and to hopefully motivATE ME FURTHER, I'M POSTING MY CHallenge results -- I will not give up

May 1st – 215.8
    May 7th – 218.4
    May 21
    May 28 -220
    May 31

Weight -/+ this week: +2.6
    Weight -/+ this challenge +2.6
    Total Weight lost: -16.6

TEERAI -- That is a great idea. I put 20 pst it notes on my file cabinet,, ill remove one fOR EACH LB LOST

• Teerai
    Options
    @KATRENAJ - awesome! You can do this :smile:
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Yesterday was the 1st day I logged every meal and was able to close the day :smiley: but needless to say I confirmed that I am definitively going over my calories .. not terribly, but maybe by like 300 .. so I am not going to loose much if I continue eating like that!! But have to cheer myself for logging which I have been super lazy to do lately.

@Teerai I love swimming too; unfortunately my building has such small pool for all the people that live here ... went this weekend and it was more like spring break party than anything else ... so I guess I wont be swimming anytime soon unless I wake up super early, but even then its not really a lap pool, but I guess better than no pool at all :#

@KATRENAJ Hang in there, you can do this!!! Sometimes we have to take a step back to move forward .. but you will do great!! :) Love the idea about the post it notes <3

So question ... will there be another challenge for Summer?
  • kbeyer23
    kbeyer23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Karen Takes Charge Challenge! :wink:
    (Aka Kicking Butt in May)
    Name: Katrina
    Height: 5’8”
    Highest Weight: 305
    Start Weight (May 1, 2018): 269
    Goal Weight (May 31, 2018): 259

May 1 – 269
    May 4 - 266.5
    May 11- 265
    May 18 - 263
    May 25 - 262
    May 31 -
    (Changed the dates for myself a bit since I weigh in on Fridays)

Weight -/+ this week: -1
    Weight -/+ this challenge: -7
    Total weight lost: 38.5 lbs

I thought I posted this last week, but I guess I must have hit the wrong button. #duh
    Since my bday last week Wednesday I have been sick with a terrible cold/allergies and couldn't find the strength to care/count calories. And then with the holiday... Oy vey! But, yesterday I kicked my sorry butt back into gear and weighed/tracked every bit. I need to get back to walking, but since Michigan is apparently schizophrenic (snow just a couple weeks ago and almost 100° the past week) and I didn't want a heat stroke, I've gotten out of the habit. Hoping I don't show a gain at the end of this week, but at least I got back on the wagon before it left town completely.

How's everybody else doing?

@canyonGeek Mayve! Glad to see you back!
  • kbeyer23
    Options
    @happygirlxxx (and everyone else!!!)

YES! There will be a summer challenge! We decided to call it the SUPER SUMMER SLIMDOWN, haha. I volunteered to "organize." (Speaking of which- @canyonGeek can you send me the database or whatever you use to keep track, por favor?)

The challenge will run for June, July and August. It's a long time, but since summer brings a lot of vacations and travel, a 3 month period seemed the best for a positive outcome. We'll check in weekly on the weekends and I'll try to have stats ready Monday or Tuesday.

I'd also like to run some weekly mini-goals alongside the weigh ins to keep it interesting. Such as "exercise 30min at least 3xs this week" or "drink 8 cups water each day" "say something positive to yourself in the mirror each morning this week" etc. and we can report on this, too. How does that sound? And I'll definitely need ideas for this of that's something everyone's interested in.
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I'll be up this week. I Had a busy and rough day in Chicago on Saturday, and I think I had heat exhaustion. I was immediately up 5 pounds the next day, and I think it was all water retention. It was 90 degrees and we walked over 5 miles in the city, and I couldn't get my heart rate to slow. Sunday and Monday I let myself eat and drink over my calorie allowance because I was feeling so sick. Today I am still up 3 pounds, and I know it's not all fat, but it's still rough to see.
  • Teerai
    Options
    Good Morning!

@Teerai I love swimming too; unfortunately my building has such small pool for all the people that live here ... went this weekend and it was more like spring break party than anything else ... so I guess I wont be swimming anytime soon unless I wake up super early, but even then its not really a lap pool, but I guess better than no pool at all

You can get a killer workout in with even just a corner of deeper water. Treading water is half my workout. You go arms forward and back, up and downstroke for a minute at a time. Also switching up legs from small kicks to treading kicks changing the strong leg every minute to running both very slow using water resistance and being aware of every muscle and joint to monitor stressors then changing to a good ‘pace’ just running without any impact.
    You do just arms then just legs.
    Never enough time for all the combos but switching up every minute or so seems to keep away any over stress or muscle cramps.
    You can bounce off the bottom working up to 25...that’s gotta be major kcal burn if it’s over 8 feet... lol
    And you can even work out like a washing machine agitator, getting your lats into the Game.

Believe me. 30 mins of good work will leave you tired. I work slow and steady and usually an hour just flys by for me but it is much nicer with less people! Lol
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Nothing spectaucular but back on track and feeling moreconfident tha5 i can stay o track and eat properly

kbeyr Thank for organizing the challeng

May 1st – 215.8
    May 7th – 218.4
    May 21
    May 28 -220
    May 31 -215

Weight -/+ this week: +2.65
    Weight -/+ this challenge +.8
    Total Weight lost: -.8
  • taytay1323
    taytay1323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, just found this thread..
    I'm currently beginning my journey at 247lbs and have close to 100lbs to lose. It seems very daunting here at the beginning, but I know that soon I will look back and see how far I have came. If anyone has any advice or tips I would be greatly appreciated for any help. I hope everyone is having a fantastic day, progressing to your goals.
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    Hi All,

Two days of full logging … yay!! Still over calories, but getting better.

A couple days ago I discovered at Whole Foods, Butternut spirals, so like noodles. I had them for lunch yesterday with a blue cheese sauce … yum!! I think it was a super easy option … it gets done in 5 minutes and it was like comfort food for me, so perfect!

@kbeyer23 hope you are feeling better! The weather everywhere is a bit nuts …. we arrived here and thought it would be warm and it was really cold and then 3 days later we woke up to summer!

Love the proposal for the summer challenge … the length and the weekly mini-goals; its a great incentive to cultivate better practices for our weight loss journey. I will think what other mini-goals we can add and share with the group.

@moodybear2003 I am as well in Chicago and the weather this weekend was absolutely ridiculous … I can’t understand the people that were frying themselves next to the lake? I went for a walk and came back with a sunburn for being only an hour outside!

@Teerai thanks for the pool workout suggestion! I will try it soon just need to find myself a bathing suit because just realized that I don’t have one that fits anymore … not a bad problem to have though because is because I lost weight :)

@KATRENAJ glad you are feeling more confined and on track!!

@taytay1323 welcome to the chat! I suggest to come back often to the chat and you will find good tips and tons of support .. we all have been were you are right now, so definitively know what you are going through.

Now will get ready to go for a walk next to the lake; its about 80 degrees here so warm enough and sunny to make it enjoyable.

Have a beautiful day everyone!
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    LOL just read my comment to @KATRENAJ ... meant more confident, not confined! :D
  • kbeyer23
    Options
    Start Weight (May 1, 2018): 269
    Goal Weight (May 31, 2018): 259

May 1 – 269
    May 4 - 266.5
    May 11- 265
    May 18 - 263
    May 25 - 262
    May 31 -261
    (Changed the dates for myself a bit since I weigh in on Fridays)

Weight -/+ this week: -1
    Weight -/+ this challenge: -8
    Total weight lost: 39.5 lbs

Yay for May! I didn't quite hit my goal, but overall, I lost 8lbs! I'd call that a win!

Stayed tuned for the "S3" challenge details tomorrow!
    Who is joining us for a fun summer challenge?!?!?
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @kbeyer23 well done!! 8lbs in a month is great!!!! :)

I am joining the summer challenge for sure! need some accountability ASAP!

So this morning I stepped on the scale ... bad news, overnight I gained whatever I lost this week :( but I guess it might be water retention ... last night we had dinner with my husband's coworkers and we went to this really nice restaurant ... I wasn't expecting to have an appetizer, but everyone ordered so I had a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing ... it was delicious and then had scallops with a bit of creamed spinach and gratin potatoes ... but no wine or bread for me :) and I could not believe I skipped dessert!!! That is like so not me :D But I guess that impulse triple chocolate frapuccino that I decided to indulge in the afternoon came to bite me (more than the dinner lol) :#>:)

Anyhow, that was yesterday ... today is a brand new day to behave!!

Have a great Friday!
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Name: Heather
    Height: 5’5"
    Highest Weight: 308
    Start Weight (May 1, 2018): 298.8
    Goal Weight (May 31, 2018): 295

May 1 – 298.8
    May 4 - 298.0
    May 11- 297.0
    May 18 - 295.6
    May 25 - 294.6
    May 31 - 294.0

Weight -/+ this week: -.6
    Weight -/+ this challenge: -4.8
    Total weight lost: 14 lbs

Not a lot of progress this week because of the holiday and the water retention from heat exhaustion, but it's better than what I thought earlier this week.
  • kbeyer23
    Options
    Here is our template to get started! Please report your stats Friday or Saturday if possible so I can assemble the data and give a report on Monday.

Super Summer Slimdown :sunglasses:
    Height: 5’8"
    Start Weight (June 1, 2018): 260
    Goal Weight (August 31, 2018): 236

6/1- 6/8 focus: Hydrate! Try to get your water in every day this week. How I did: :smiley: or :neutral: or :disappointed:

June 8-
    June 15-
    June 23-
    June 30-

Weight -/+ this week:
    Weight -/+ this challenge:
    Total weight lost:
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Karen Takes Charge Challenge
    Name: Deb
    Highest Weight: Ever? Do I have to type that? How about this round: 295
    Start Weight (May 1, 2018): 259.8
    Goal Weight (May 31, 2018): 251.8

May 1 – 259.8
    May 3 – 258.4
    May 10 – 256.8
    May 17 – 255.2
    May 24 – 255.8
    May 31 – 255.6

Weight -/+ this week: -.2
    Weight -/+ this challenge: -4.2
    Total weight lost: 39.4
    83125515.png
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Okay. Weren't we just discussing motivation when we are a few months into losing weight? Hahahaha. I know what I did to myself. I participate here, as well as a thread with daily weigh-ins. Sometimes the day on which I weigh for this group and the end weigh in day for the other group fall on the same day. I think this was two weeks ago? Might have been three weeks. Anyhow, I really really wanted to keep posting good losses for both groups, and my body wasn't cooperating despite eating under my calorie limits...so I cheated. Myself. I ate under 1000 calories, which is quite a bit below what my MFP two-pounds-a-week calorie limit, and just logged in MFP using "random calories."

Boy oh boy, did my body throttle me but GOOD. I had done this a few times prior, but this time? I have never been so hungry while trying to lose weight...my body was angry and not going to take it anymore! I remember thinking, how do people with the opposite food disorder do it?!?

So. I let go for a day and a half. I logged every.single.bite, and I did still weigh though I did not post those weights to MFP. I did gain weight, of course.

Here's what I know about myself at this point, and why I won't change one thing: Mindless eating got me here, and being PRESENT and ACCOUNTABLE is the only way out. Now I also know that eating far below my calorie limit will get me into serious trouble.

So what can I do about that?

The only thing I can do: More exercise. I'm just walking, with my dog. She stops to sniff and do her business, but she wants to be outside all the time anyhow. I will also go back to my old gym and start in with additional circuit training and adding more strength training.

Yes, you can lose all the weight without exercise. I've done it once before. Here's the thing: I'm not doing this for LOOKS. I'm doing it so the second half of my life is as full of movement and fun as I have the power to control. I can just look at the last 30+ years of my mother's life and KNOW that is NOT the way I want to spend my last years.

Powerful motivation. Thanks Mom. I don't want to be like you. I am already capable of walking far more than 5 miles a day, so I'm doing far better than she did at my age.

To HEALTH!
  • Teerai
    Options
    Okay. Weren't we just discussing motivation when we are a few months into losing weight? Hahahaha.
    Here's what I know about myself at this point, and why I won't change one thing: Mindless eating got me here, and being PRESENT and ACCOUNTABLE is the only way out. Now I also know that eating far below my calorie limit will get me into serious trouble.

So what can I do about that?
    To HEALTH!

Just a couple of suggestions.
    First, if you haven’t already- go back to really researching the information now available on food sources and others peoples experiences on different diets or systems. There are several movies both scientific and also entertaining netflix, Prime and other movies about our food.
    Not all is 100% accurate but it is still extremely valuable.
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead,
    Knives Over Forks,
    Science of Fasting*,
    Food as Medicine and dozens of others are amazing and some are very entertaining.

Also, Really watch out for foods that kick in a large insulin response.

Dr Berg talks about this on youtube vids, teaching out of medical texts and his own research. He promotes keto to control the insulin response but has a balanced whole foods philosophy and even has a bread he makes that fits into that life diet.
    He shows biology and also recipes to help alleviate certain negative symptoms in the body.
    He also is excellent at discussing IF and how to taylor it to your body.

Another very valuable resource is Dr Jung who is a Toranto geriologist who has the best discussion on fasting that I have found. I have thought these things for a long time and had my best success with this kind of fasting but Dr Jung has research and logic as well as practical experience on the positive results accomplished in his and a hospitals patients.
  • arschrock
    arschrock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In January 2017, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. In addition to the medication I had to start taking, my doctor strongly suggested I lose 100 pounds. At the time I weighed 255. I did well for the first month but life and lack of desire to change my bad habits got in the way and I added 10 pounds by the end of the year.

My dad was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May 2017. He quit smoking cold-turkey after 50 years, started watching his diet and walking and biking. In December 2017, he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. He went through chemo and radiation December-March with no nausea, very little side effects except losing his hair and still working part-time. Beginning in April 2018, he was in the hospital 3 times in 5 weeks - pneumonia, flu, pneumonia - with a week's stay at a nursing home for physical therapy in between the 2nd and 3rd hospital stay. The last time he was released from the hospital, we brought him home with hospice care. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago. He's still alive, but every day it seems it's a little bit harder for him to draw a breath.

Watching my dad struggle just to breathe has been my wake-up call that I need to be serious about my health. I need to be serious about new, healthy eating habits, tracking my food all the time, not just when I feel like it, and consistent exercise. I don't want to have more health problems the older I get. So here's me, joining this group to give and receive support, to be accountable for the choices I make, to share in the victories - big and small - and to help or get help in overcoming any temporary set-backs on the way to losing 100 pounds.

Super Summer Slimdown - weigh-in dates adjusted to my regular day

Name: Anita
    Height: 5’6"
    Highest Weight: 265
    Start Weight (June 1, 2018): 249.5
    Goal Weight (August 31, 2018): 225.5

June 6-
    June 13-
    June 20-
    June 27-
    June 30-

Weight -/+ this week: