Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!
    Trying my hardest to be up today. Still a bit of a struggle.

I ran into my brother at the grocery store last night. I only see him a few times a year and It must have been as least 5 months since the last time. He was amazed at my weight loss. His jaw dropped. It felt so good to be able to "brag" a bit. He was always the most fit of all of my sibs.

My sister's future daughter in law is out of surgery and is doing very well. I am not sure if any of you remember but a few weeks ago I mentioned she had a rare form of pancreatitis. About 30% of the people who get this do not survive. She survived the illness and the corrective surgery. Came out of it and 24 hours later is no longer ill from her pancreas. She avoided becoming diabetic also. She has a feeding tube for now until she recovers more of her strength and gains some weight, but will be home by the weekend.

Hubby will finally see the surgeon on Friday. We know he has to have both wrists operated on for Ulnar Impact Syndrome. We will find out on Friday about his shoulder injury.

Business is good and as soon as some of the money people owe me comes in I will be a little less nervous.

I went over on food today. Today was one of those HUNGRY days. But I did have massive workouts yesterday and today so I know I will still be down at weigh in.

Stress levels are still running high and I am sorry but I do not have it in me to do personals tonight. I am so exhausted I am going to bed. I do so appreciate all the open sharing that runs through this thread. Thank you all. You are a big part of my support system and thus my success.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
    Living Life Gratified
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Fly by check in after a very busy day. Wrote and filed a long article; subbed at the high school; went to college basketball games with my Dad. I'm beat!
  • ArmedNurseNC
    ArmedNurseNC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals are so inspirational - thank you all for sharing. I am trying to get the hang of the forums. Rough week here - sisters birthday on Monday - even though she passed 18 years ago it still stinks....I keep trying to keep on, y'all know how it is. My goal is going to have to be consistency - I am not so good at that :p First goal - consistently log food for a week....baby baby baby steps....Have a great night/day....

Marilyn
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    karenleona wrote: »
    maram29 wrote: »
    Nice work, @Goingstd!
    I'm overwhelmed by everyone's very detailed plans for the day/week. WOWZA! Keep on rocking!!

Me too! I am just working on getting through one day at a time as well as my night shifts!!

karenleona‌maram29‌ ! Did pretty good today too, this ha been a good week so far!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    GOINSTD12 wrote: »
    karenleona wrote: »
    maram29 wrote: »
    Nice work, @Goingstd!
    I'm overwhelmed by everyone's very detailed plans for the day/week. WOWZA! Keep on rocking!!

Me too! I am just working on getting through one day at a time as well as my night shifts!!

karenleona‌maram29‌, @akinnyjeansbound, & @susan ! Did pretty good today too, this ha been a good week so far!

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    "susan2396 wrote:

@Lives2Travel – Volvo’s are such great, reliable cars. I forget the number, but when buying a new car as soon as you drive it off the lot it diminishes significantly in value. New used cars are the best!! When you mentioned debt free, did you guys do anything specifically or follow a specific plan? I’m really working on that too. I don’t have a mortgage anymore since I sold my house before moving to Vegas and just renting. No car payment either. Unfortunately, I did gain some credit card debt I’m not proud about whatsoever. Plus, I like to spend. This should be my Thursday Truth. I do make good money and there’s no reason I can’t pay this down and have a significant savings. Just curious. Also, great thing you did for your DD and fiancé!!

Ironically, I already wrote this post and just saw your post about how you did it. So proud of you guys!!! Unfortunately, it’s just me and my salary as a single mom, BUT I cannot use that as an excuse. While I don’t get a dime from his Dad and he’s over $50,000 behind in support (don’t get me started!!!), I really do make a decent salary and there’s no excuse. It’s all on me. I need to do the same thing - rarely eat out, movies, traveling, clothes, etc. . . I am on track for full bonus the end of the year. If I start now and pay off what I know I can each month plus the bonus, I could be out of debt at the end of the year. I do have some money in a Roth IRA, 401K plus Cyrus has a 529 account for college. I haven’t completely thrown my money away so I do have investments, but just no savings. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

@susan - I can so relate to everything you said. We had investments too, but were living pay check to pay check and racking up more debt every month. We had been sailing along just fine until about 2005. Then DH had a couple bad year's earnings wise and on the heels of that the financial melt down hit.

While I'm a salaried employee, DH is (and always has been) a commissioned salesman. When the recession hit three things happened to us at once: his customers quit spending so his income took another huge hit, my company asked everyone to take a 10% pay cut so no one would have to be laid off and our investments tanked. Oh joy.

We still had DD2 to get through the last 3 years of undergrad on our dime. We are huge believers in education and our commitment to getting our kids a college education with no debt to them was non-negotiable. So we did what we could to survive and put almost all of her tuition and expenses on credit cards. And we had 3 car payments and took out a loan on DHs 401k. We were basically in survival mode.

When she was a junior we sold our house and rented for a couple years, but we still were falling behind. When she graduated in May 2010 we owed 140k with almost 90k bring on credit cards. Just looking at the numbers made me weak in the knees. But, I had faith we could recover.

When she graduated and got off the payroll, we committed to doing what we had to to pay down that debt as quickly as possible. In 4 years we had it done and were able to get together the down payment to buy a house. They were 4 years of pinching every penny and spending as little as we could. I like to shop too and often found myself standing in a store with something in my hands telling myself "You don't need it. You just want it". And most of the time, back on the rack the item went. It was like a diet, but with money not food.

I'm not proud of how we got ourselves in all that debt, but I don't regret it either. We weren't spending on cars or jewelry or fancy vacations. We were investing in our daughter's futures and I can't imagine anything I'd rather have spent my money on.

I know it's got to be so much harder as a single parent especially without the support you should be getting from your ex. But, it sounds like you can get your debt paid off pretty quickly with a couple changes. Just do it. You'll sleep better once it's gone and you feel more capable of weathering whatever comes your way.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @Grandma Kaye- I chuckled on your way to make lots of money. Personally don’t eat egg yolks because the taste of them makes me gage.
    @cblue- A great reaction from your brother. I am glad the surgery went well.
    @New People-Welcome!
    @Susan- I was in Atlanta a few years ago in winter and must say I didn’t want to get on the plane and come back home.

AFM- Thursday truth….I don’t know what is going on with me. I have no motivation for anything right now. I caught myself telling a co-worker that college is taking way to long and once these classes are done I still have the BA classes to take it is starting to feel like a waste of time. I know it is not a waste of time and it a great accomplishment I am just off this week. Hey MFP where did my profile picture go? Well at least on my screen I don’t show it. I did however resist temptation last night when I realized I was eating alone. My head kept telling me to order pizza but my body made parmesan crusted tilapia instead. Huge win for me I usually give into my head and work out more to compensate.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @kaye- I agree with your rant. Sometimes I feel like an industry or 'diet guru' is trying to make money, so they emphasize one point about their product or plan to gain users and make a profit. While there are some truths to avoiding some foods, there are also good reasons to eat those foods. I try to model myself close to your lifestyle of avoiding fast food and cooking at home. I try to eat 'from scratch' as much as I can. It's not been an overnight change to all whole foods, but I am gradually working my percentages so that we're eating less and less processed, high sodium and more and more fresh foods. I'd estimate that we started at about 80/20 convenience foods/fresh foods, and now we're about 50/50. I don't think our family will ever completely stop things like visits to McDonald's or treats like that, but I'm widdling away at the percentage of those things. Our lifestyles in the US have changed so much with either single parent families or both parents working outside the home, there is a need for convenience....the slow cooker has become my bff in the kitchen, and I am trying to choose prepackaged foods that are less processed and closer to whole foods. (ie: Picking up applesauce cups instead of fruit roll ups for the kids school snacks.)

@cblue- What wonderful news about your future niece-in-law! I'm glad everything is working out so well for her. I hope the surgeon has good news for your husband tomorrow.

@mountmary- Yikes! I hope when you were flung cartoon-style off your treadmill that you weren't hurt!

@susan- Thanks for the kind words. :)

@mnwalkingqueen- I have a digital scale, and uneven hardwood floors. I keep mine in the same spot all the time, and notice that when the battery is getting low, I get weird results. If yours is digital, you might want to try a fresh battery.

AFM- Need to go to bed at night. Late night snacking and going over my goal daily so far. Went to the gym last night and got my starting points for my lift goals this month. I'm going to add about 10% to each exercise by the end of the month.

February:
    Calorie Goal- 0/4
    Exercise Goal- 2/3
    Lift Goal:
    Leg Press-180/200
    Squats-180/200
    Abs- 150/165
    Back- 150/165
    Triceps- 80/90
    Biceps- 80/90
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Weatherperson's Day!
    February 5 is National Weatherperson's Day, commemorating the birth of John Jeffries in 1744. Jeffries, one of America's first weather observers, began taking daily weather observations in Boston in 1774 and he took the first balloon observation in 1784. This is a day to recognize the men and women who collectively provide Americans with the best weather, water, and climate forecasts and warning services of any nation.
    Many of us take weather information for granted. Turn on a light switch, you get light. Turn on your television or radio, or check a web site and you get the weather forecast. It’s easy to forget that around the clock, dedicated meteorologists and weathercasters are vigilantly creating forecasts to help you plan your day, and issuing warnings to help keep you safe.

National Weatherperson's Day

“What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.” ~Plutarch

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Kaye~I agree with you wholeheartedly. The egg is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat, including the yolk—I eat eggs for breakfast practically every day, the entire egg! :lol: While not everyone that chooses a gluten-free lifestyle has celiac disease, they may have an intolerance (inflammation) and they just feel better without it. A friend of mine is vegetarian because she has meat allergies (who knew). But you’re right, some of the diets that people follow out there are crazy and if you don’t have certain intolerances or certain health conditions they can actually hinder rather than help you. Personally, I try to follow a well-balanced diet—I try not to eat very many sweets and have recently eliminated dairy, which actually has made a huge difference for me (I’m both lactose and casein intolerant so it’s something I should have done a long time ago). I also buy organic and buy meats/eggs that are grass fed and that do not contain hormones—but it’s just my personal preference. Otherwise, eating out is rare--I mostly cook at home and stops for fast food (other than Subway) is almost nonexistent. Wow, statins is a whole other ballgame—I don’t know why doctors push these meds, some have such serious side effects. I try to avoid medications unless its absolutely necessary.

@Lori~Fantastic news on your sister’s DIL, I love that you got to show off your new svelte self to your brother too! :smiley:

@mountmary84‌ (barb)~Yikes the on the treadmill, been there--I flew off one time at the gym. I was watching a comedian on one of the TVs and started laughing so hard that I flew right off the back. :flushed: I'm glad you weren't hurt in the process.

AFM~Met my friend and her dogs at the park yesterday and we did our 3-miles, the dogs were in rare form (i.e. full moon?) so we were beat after that walk—felt like I had been pulled in a thousand different directions. :lol: My Thursday Truth is that even though I’m an accountant, I work in healthcare so I wear scrubs to work—I've been wearing the same size scrubs for about two years now. I've always been a size smaller but kept ordering the same size (no idea why, because they fit like PJs I guess :blush:). During our last facility-wide order I ordered a smaller size that are meant to accentuate my curves, but have been hesitant to wear them (they fit and aren’t baggy). I bit the bullet and wore them today; I look 10-pounds thinner and a co-worker said I looked much better and that should have started wearing those a long time ago. :flushed:

February “ALL-IN” Challenge:

Carbless Mornings: 5/28
    Dairy-Free: 2/28

Exercise Goals:

Monday~Walk w friend DONE!
    Tuesday~Trainer DONE!
    Wednesday~Walk w friend DONE!
    Thursday~Trainer
    Friday~Rest Day
    Saturday~Walk w friend
    Sunday~Trainer
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Well I am happy, worried, and sad all at the same time today. My son got a new job yesterday so yay. He is going to work for the same company as his dad. Marine diesel is what he has always wanted to do so in that part I am happy for him but the mom in me is screaming inside that this job can be dangerous and I already have my husband to worry about and now my son is going up there too. I know that he will be fine and the odds of anything terrible are actually really low but I still worry. Oh well he is a grown man now and very excited so I will just suck it up and make sure he is completely ready and has everything he needs before he flys out on Sundays. His dad and he will see each other every other month this year back and forth on the boat and at home with the way the schedule is working out. On the food front yesterday was a bust but I recorded it and am moving on. Exercise is going to be harder this week as we have a stack of storms coming through for the next few days so walking the dogs isn't really going to be an option but I am still going to try and get as many steps in as I can. I have been walking the hallway circle at my brothers house this morning so I am off to a good start.

Kaye:I loved what you wrote. I totally agree with everything you say. Whenever someone tries to advise me that I have to eat this or that or to avoid things I just say ty and go back to eating good wholesome homemade food and limiting the junk. It works great when I stick to it and I try to make sure my kids understand that all the fads are just that and wont work long term as well.

mnwalkingqueen: I have had the same issue with my scale so I just try to weigh once a week and in the same spot in my bathroom and I never step on it more then once weather I like what it says or not. Last week sucked but it was the day after TOM ended and for some reason that is almost always a gain.

cblue: I loved the story about your brother. It is great when someone sees you and really notices the weight loss.

mountmary: thank goodness you are okay. I can so see something just like that happening to me so I got a little chuckle out of your story.

Susan and lives2travel: Getting out of debt is my husbands and my goal this year. We have some random debt from over the last few years that we are focusing on this year and then ALOT of medical debt form when I was sick a couple of years ago with no insurance that we will start working more on next year. We have met and talked with a financial planner and he has helped us work out this plan which should help us get into a house sometime next year. We are very excited by this

Well everyone I got to get the kiddos breakfast and get them moving so have a great day and remember you are all awesome :):):)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    2015 Mantra: Be Consistent
    Hi - dropping by to say hi - sure looks like y'all are working hard at your Feb. Goals and keeping your eyes on your calorie intake. So impressie!
    - OK - Here's a question for you: Do you know where the London Bridge is Located?
    - I'm not giving you the Answer.
    - Cuz that's where I'm going tomorrow! I got the opportunity to go there with a girlfriend to visit her parents for a week -we fly there tomorrow. I've had the plans made for 2 weeks but didn't believe it was going to happen til today.
    - Also I am having cataract Surgery Feb. 19 and really looking forward to that - if only to have better keyboard skills!
    - I'll post as soon as I get back!
    - Big hugs to all!
  • kah68
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    - OK - Here's a question for you: Do you know where the London Bridge is Located?
    - Cuz that's where I'm going tomorrow! I got the opportunity to go there with a girlfriend to visit her parents for a week -we fly there tomorrow. I've had the plans made for 2 weeks but didn't believe it was going to happen til today.

I know, I know--do I win a prize? LOL Safe travels, have a great time!

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    Hi - dropping by to say hi - sure looks like y'all are working hard at your Feb. Goals and keeping your eyes on your calorie intake. So impressie!

- Big hugs to all!

I do, I do! ... My son had a business trip to England a year or so ago for 10 days and he sent me pictures of the London Bridge. Have a wonderful time.
    Niki

Ha - Ha - Ha ... @kah68 ... guess I didn't know after all!
  • kah68
    Options
    @NK1112‌ (Niki)~I think @RobinsEgg‌ is referring to the original London Bridge that was dismantled and brought to America in the late 60s--its on Lake Havasu in Arizona.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for the concern about the treadmill incident. No, I was not hurt, I only hurt my pride. Gene said I screamed, but I don’t even remember that part; just remember jumping off quickly. Next time I get on (later today) I will remember to check what it is programmed for BEFORE I push the start button…even if no grandkids have been here.

NSV: The darned End of Year book work for the business we run is done. I am so glad to get that weight off of my shoulders. I wish I didn’t procrastinate so with that one; it isn’t really that hard. I just hate all the photocopying….AND he just came down and announced we have a new deal. Yippee!

@Robin WOW! How wonderful to be going to London! I am really happy for you. That couldn’t happen to a more deserving person. Enjoy! Also, good luck with the surgery; I have only heard good about cataract surgery.

@jtconst Tammy, I sure understand your excitement / trepication about your son’s new job. It is wonderful that he is going to follow his dream, but of course as a mother you worry.

@Cblue Lori, what total victory that must have felt like to have your brother see all your progress. I dream of “suddenly” appearing slimmer when I see someone again after a while, alas, that has never happened for me. How neat!

@Kah Kelley, how fun to wear smaller uniforms! You earned that right and then to have a co-worker tell you how great you look…double bonus! Good for you!

@MnQueen Holly, like you I went back to college later in life. Sometimes it seemed like it would go on forever and I would never get to the goal. I did get there and I have never regretted it for one moment. Just keep signing up and taking those classes; you to will get there. I promise. Hopefully, you will find a good math teacher next time so that will be gotten behind you.

@Niki Did you get that door off? Gosh, that is a big job. I know it was really frustrating you to have it stick. Sure hope the concrete guys can fix the actual problem when spring comes…if spring ever actually gets here again.

@goinstd Yup, one day at a time. That is the only way.

@Susan How good to see you here.

@Kaye I couldn’t agree more about cooking and eating real food. I cook most of what we eat from scratch too and for the most part have fun doing it. I love to play with herbs and spices and to coax as much flavor out of things as possible. As for diet books: Yup, I think they are often just into that for the money! LOL

@Everyone else I know I missed a lot of you. Just know I have read all your posts and have thought about them, just didn’t say anything. I hope you are all well and doing well with all your challenges, be they swimming or grading or the kids or finances.

February Challenge:
    Calories under goal:2/4
    Core fitness: 2/4

Word for 2015 “TENACITY”

Thanks every one of you for being here.
    Barbara
    Mountmary84
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @Robin Okay, you have me foxed too. Where are you going?

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I used to live in AZ so I knew. :)

Heads up for 2/6/2015 ladies, I’ll be wearing red!
    Wear Red to fight heart disease on National Wear Red Day Friday - Feb 6th. You are encouraged to wear RED on this day. Battle against heart disease and stroke in women.
    -
    National Wear Red Day®

Tom
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yay for AZ in winter! Have fun, @RobinsEgg!

@Susan, thank you for sharing your get-out-of-debt success story. I'm working toward that myself. Two layoffs in the past 7 years + some medical bills + shopping as a stress reliever have taken their toll. Fortunately I don't have a car payment or a mortgage (yet - I rent, but want to buy a house within the next 3 years), so it's not as bad as it could be.

On the $$$ front, I was writing out a visualization today about how I'm going to meet this massive deadline I have next week (8 articles due 2/12) when I realized that one of the affirmations I speak during my Miracle Morning routine is coming true: "My income is constantly increasing. Money flows easily into my life. There is always more than enough." Not only have I received extra writing assignments since the beginning of the year, one of my clients offered to pay me double for two gigs AND someone I helped pro bono last year just found out he's getting a big, fat bonus as a result and is sending me $1,000 as a thank you! B)

OK, back to work on this article so I can keep that money flowing.
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @Tom Well, that one will be easy. I think half of my wardrobe is red as it is my favorite color. Thanks for the heads up!