Do you exercise because you enjoy it or so you can eat more?

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Currently, I row 10k meters/day in an hr to burn 550 cals/day specifically so that I can eat more.

The main reason being, my maintenance calorie limit is only 1750, which is just too little food. So, I eat 2200 and net 1750 which fills me up so that I don't feel starved and the additional cals also provide me w/the additional protein and other nutritional content that I want/need.

Rowing 10k meters day also provides cardio and physical (strength/fitness) benefits that I believe are better than the arbitrary but generally accepted goal of walking 10k steps/day because I row a lot faster & burn a lot more cals (thereby exerting more effort) and make use of more muscles (it's estimated at you use 84% of the muscles in both your lower and upper) rowing than walking (which is pretty much limited to just your lower body) in the same amount of time.

Daily exercises is also repeatedly reported as a benefit to good health in terms of reduced risk of cardio vascular and numerous other diseases (both mental and physical) associated w/old age, which at 67 is obviously a concern of mine.

So, it would be advisable to row 10k meters a day even if I didn't need/want to eat more.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A little of both. I really enjoy it when my family leaves me alone while I exercise, which is most of the time. I do my resistance, then listen to audiobooks while I'm on the treadmill. It's usually my tranquil period, though I have been forced to administer the occasional spelling or science test while I'm working out. I like burning the extra calories, don't get me wrong, but I really enjoy the "me" time most.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Both and neither. I exercise because doing so allows me to be a healthier person than if I didn't, because I like it (for the most part), and the added calories are nice...

This.

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I like the changes its made to the way I feel both physically and emotionally. And I ain't getting any younger!

Sure diet alone will help me with my weight loss. But I feel stronger doing day to day tasks because of the work I have done on my body. I raked my yard a few weeks ago and this is the first Spring I did not feel stiff and sore for days after. And I feel proud when I think of how much progress I have made since I started exercise. (heavier weights, better breathing, proper jumping jacks instead of modified ones)

The fact I can eat more is totally just a bonus for me. And it works out well if I have a special occasion where I am eating away from home.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat and drink ETOH.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I started running to accelerate weight loss and to eat more. It gave me the rungries!! Now I run because it's like crack and I get a little twitchy without it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    There are more than those two possible reasons. There are a million possible reasons. OK, I'm exaggerating . . . but at least a dozen ;)

After many adult decades being sedentary, I became an athlete while obese and not even trying to lose weight. (I'm a rower, though that's not all I do.) It was for fun, camaraderie, and health - for starting alone, even. (I'm a cancer survivor).

I'm just as active now. It's still fun. Since I'm a lazy hedonist, I rarely do things that aren't fun.

Nowadays, age 62, I have the added motivation of keeping future Ann healthy, strong, independent, and out of an assisted living facility as long as possible. That leads me to do more strength training than I would otherwise, though I don't find that as fun as many other people do.

Eating more is just a bonus.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I exercise because it's become a habit. I like what I do, I just don't enjoy it most of the time.

For me, exercising just to eat more is tipping into ED territory.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Both, I find exercise helps me a lot with my anxiety and makes me feel better in general. I look forward to it now. I also really, really appreciate the extra calories. I’m older and short-‘nuff said;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise because you enjoy it or so you can eat more?

I don't love exercise. I don't hate it I guess but I gravitate toward sedentary hobbies and activities. Walking is what I do most because it is easy to fit in my day and I feel more relaxed.
    I exercise for the health benefits and to increase my calories.

MFP gives you a calorie deficit goal without exercise. If you stick to that amount you do not actually have to exercise to lose weight. If you have trouble sticking to it you can add exercise to get more calories, plan and prelog your food better for the day or maybe change to a slower rate of loss. If you have 20 lbs or less to lose set your goal for .5 lb a week or a 250 calorie daily deficit and you might find it more comfortable. You don't have to make massive changes to your diet or exercise a ton if you are not very overweight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are more than those two possible reasons. There are a million possible reasons. OK, I'm exaggerating . . . but at least a dozen ;)

After many adult decades being sedentary, I became an athlete while obese and not even trying to lose weight. (I'm a rower, though that's not all I do.) It was for fun, camaraderie, and health - for starting alone, even. (I'm a cancer survivor).

I'm just as active now. It's still fun. Since I'm a lazy hedonist, I rarely do things that aren't fun.

Nowadays, age 62, I have the added motivation of keeping future Ann healthy, strong, independent, and out of an assisted living facility as long as possible. That leads me to do more strength training than I would otherwise, though I don't find that as fun as many other people do.

Eating more is just a bonus.

Ugh, autocorrect . . . and too late to edit. "staying alive", of course.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    For me, it's definitely both. I feel marginally competent when I run, and very competent when I spin, swim, lift, and go to barre.

But, I also like that being active means that I can pursue a decent deficit and still get to eat 1400 calories a day, and still lose weight. My insulin sensitivity is very high (I'm a type 1 diabetic), and I attribute that to being active.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I started so I could eat more, now I feel yucky if I don't move around enough in some way every day. It might be a lot of walking or a class or playing with my kids, but I'd have trouble going back to being a couch potato.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I walk my dog because he insists :) I only get a few extra calories, but it is a nice bonus