The Anxiety Thread

Options

Replies

• NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Monday is tomorrow.

But didn't you start thinking about Monday coming around 8 pm last night?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I just had one of my worst anxiety moments happen. One that I forgot all about. The dreaded moment when someone calls out your name and says "is that you?"

Ran into a girl I graduated with at the lacrosse tournament today. I pulled her name out of my *kitten* at the last second, but it was obvious I didn't say it with confidence.

If in doubt, always lead with buddy.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I just had one of my worst anxiety moments happen. One that I forgot all about. The dreaded moment when someone calls out your name and says "is that you?"

Ran into a girl I graduated with at the lacrosse tournament today. I pulled her name out of my *kitten* at the last second, but it was obvious I didn't say it with confidence.

Oh my god this is always me. I have crazy anxiety about forgetting people’s names, it’s pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy at this point
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Oh my god this is always me. I have crazy anxiety about forgetting people’s names, it’s pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy at this point

I'm not one for anxiety. But, I'm terrible with names and always have been. I usually just run with it, and will smile and say "Hey! How are you? Haven't seen you in a while..." Don't really care if I forget someone's name, nor do I care if they know I forgot it. I interact with so many people on a day to day basis that unless I see them freqently, or something completely stands out enough to make me remember their names, I'm going to forget it.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I'm not one for anxiety. But, I'm terrible with names and always have been. I usually just run with it, and will smile and say "Hey! How are you? Haven't seen you in a while..." Don't really care if I forget someone's name, nor do I care if they know I forgot it. I interact with so many people on a day to day basis that unless I see them freqently, or something completely stands out enough to make me remember their names, I'm going to forget it.

I forget people’s names that I’ve known for years and years though. Like I blank them out in a moment of panic and can not retrieve them. It’s horrifying
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

I forget people’s names that I’ve known for years and years though. Like I blank them out in a moment of panic and can not retrieve them. It’s horrifying

Same here with the momentary lapse. But, just roll with it and don't let it get to ya. :)

Much bigger things in life to be concerned about than fretting over forgetting someone's name. ;)
  • caco_ethes
    Options

See, I am a hugger, anyone who know/knew me knows this. I'll be like oh em gee i cant believe it's been this long and hug them....giving them the anxiety becuase they probably dont like hugs but now i have turned the tables

I’ll stiff arm you, boy
  • caco_ethes
    Options

See, I am a hugger, anyone who know/knew me knows this. I'll be like oh em gee i cant believe it's been this long and hug them....giving them the anxiety becuase they probably dont like hugs but now i have turned the tables

I’ll stiff arm you, boy

I have a maneuver for just the occasion

You’ve clearly never met an upper Midwesterner
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

Great strategy, but she went in for the hug first as well. So now I'm down a name and awkward contact after 20 years of not seeing her.

I just feel like if someone I haven't seen in years recognizes me, I'm obligated to remember them

I get this and I usually feel the same way. I tend to avoid using their name, hoping the person doesn’t notice. I’m horrible with names.

I was doing awesome. Totally was avoiding the need to say her name. Then, I see my wife coming up the hill. Panic starts to set in. It was fight or flight time. My flight response would've been to immediately end the conversation before my wife got there, which may have led to me answering some questions later. The fight response was to gut it out and hope I pull off a miracle during introductions. Since my wife was only about 15 feet away at this point, my hand was forced.

I fought through the introduction and puked out some form of her name. I didn't get the you don't know me look, so I was good. I later looked for her on Facebook for verification. I asked my wife what I told her the girls name was (there's multiple variations) and she confirmed that I had indeed nailed it. Whew.

If I have to introduce someone to another whose name I can't remember I just introduce the one closer to me. Like you could say "This is my wife Bambi" and hope they shake hands and the other person says "Nice to meet you, I'm Candy"

Exactly. Always ways to make someone say a name. ;)
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Being anywhere other people are.

isn't that pretty much anywhere and everywhere ?

Stop badgering

jfqw59mis2tn.jpg
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Stop badgering

jfqw59mis2tn.jpg

Oh hell. Now I want a badger

Badgers are friggin jerks, man. One stole my brother’s bike
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Stop badgering

jfqw59mis2tn.jpg

Oh hell. Now I want a badger

Badgers are friggin jerks, man. One stole my brother’s bike

cwgry5aa1n4y.jpg
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    gobzd6rldco7.jpg