The Anxiety Thread

Options

Replies

• BrokenFather
    BrokenFather Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I just had one of my worst anxiety moments happen. One that I forgot all about. The dreaded moment when someone calls out your name and says "is that you?"

Ran into a girl I graduated with at the lacrosse tournament today. I pulled her name out of my *kitten* at the last second, but it was obvious I didn't say it with confidence.

See, I am a hugger, anyone who know/knew me knows this. I'll be like oh em gee i cant believe it's been this long and hug them....giving them the anxiety becuase they probably dont like hugs but now i have turned the tables

Great strategy, but she went in for the hug first as well. So now I'm down a name and awkward contact after 20 years of not seeing her.
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I just had one of my worst anxiety moments happen. One that I forgot all about. The dreaded moment when someone calls out your name and says "is that you?"

Ran into a girl I graduated with at the lacrosse tournament today. I pulled her name out of my *kitten* at the last second, but it was obvious I didn't say it with confidence.

Oh my god this is always me. I have crazy anxiety about forgetting people’s names, it’s pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy at this point

I'm not one for anxiety. But, I'm terrible with names and always have been. I usually just run with it, and will smile and say "Hey! How are you? Haven't seen you in a while..." Don't really care if I forget someone's name, nor do I care if they know I forgot it. I interact with so many people on a day to day basis that unless I see them freqently, or something completely stands out enough to make me remember their names, I'm going to forget it.

I forget people’s names that I’ve known for years and years though. Like I blank them out in a moment of panic and can not retrieve them. It’s horrifying

I just feel like if someone I haven't seen in years recognizes me, I'm obligated to remember them

I get this and I usually feel the same way. I tend to avoid using their name, hoping the person doesn’t notice. I’m horrible with names.

I was doing awesome. Totally was avoiding the need to say her name. Then, I see my wife coming up the hill. Panic starts to set in. It was fight or flight time. My flight response would've been to immediately end the conversation before my wife got there, which may have led to me answering some questions later. The fight response was to gut it out and hope I pull off a miracle during introductions. Since my wife was only about 15 feet away at this point, my hand was forced.

I fought through the introduction and puked out some form of her name. I didn't get the you don't know me look, so I was good. I later looked for her on Facebook for verification. I asked my wife what I told her the girls name was (there's multiple variations) and she confirmed that I had indeed nailed it. Whew.

If I have to introduce someone to another whose name I can't remember I just introduce the one closer to me. Like you could say "This is my wife Bambi" and hope they shake hands and the other person says "Nice to meet you, I'm Candy"

What do you do if you go on a date with someone and you can’t remember their name?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

See, I am a hugger, anyone who know/knew me knows this. I'll be like oh em gee i cant believe it's been this long and hug them....giving them the anxiety becuase they probably dont like hugs but now i have turned the tables

Great strategy, but she went in for the hug first as well. So now I'm down a name and awkward contact after 20 years of not seeing her.

Oh my god this is always me. I have crazy anxiety about forgetting people’s names, it’s pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy at this point

I'm not one for anxiety. But, I'm terrible with names and always have been. I usually just run with it, and will smile and say "Hey! How are you? Haven't seen you in a while..." Don't really care if I forget someone's name, nor do I care if they know I forgot it. I interact with so many people on a day to day basis that unless I see them freqently, or something completely stands out enough to make me remember their names, I'm going to forget it.

I forget people’s names that I’ve known for years and years though. Like I blank them out in a moment of panic and can not retrieve them. It’s horrifying

I just feel like if someone I haven't seen in years recognizes me, I'm obligated to remember them

I get this and I usually feel the same way. I tend to avoid using their name, hoping the person doesn’t notice. I’m horrible with names.

I was doing awesome. Totally was avoiding the need to say her name. Then, I see my wife coming up the hill. Panic starts to set in. It was fight or flight time. My flight response would've been to immediately end the conversation before my wife got there, which may have led to me answering some questions later. The fight response was to gut it out and hope I pull off a miracle during introductions. Since my wife was only about 15 feet away at this point, my hand was forced.

I fought through the introduction and puked out some form of her name. I didn't get the you don't know me look, so I was good. I later looked for her on Facebook for verification. I asked my wife what I told her the girls name was (there's multiple variations) and she confirmed that I had indeed nailed it. Whew.

If I have to introduce someone to another whose name I can't remember I just introduce the one closer to me. Like you could say "This is my wife Bambi" and hope they shake hands and the other person says "Nice to meet you, I'm Candy"

What do you do if you go on a date with someone and you can’t remember their name?

Check their underwear label. Duh.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Glad you nailed it. I attempted the I’ll hug anyone/“oh, good to see you, this is my friend Natalie” approach when I ran into someone whose face I knew but whose name and where I knew him from were completely lost to me last night. The hug was definitely awkward and he didn’t help me by providing his name to her, but I was at least able to make a quick escape. About an hour later, it occurred to me who he was and there was delayed embarrassment and anxiety because I realized had cheerfully hugged the dad of a kid who was on one of my kids’ teams...2 years ago. Only cordially knew him then and hadn’t seen him since.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Remember someone else's name ??

Heck, I'm happy if I can remember my own name.
  • DanaLynne128
    DanaLynne128 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dating anxiety sucks.
    Does he like me too? Does he think I'm as fat as I think I am? Am I good enough? Is this all a nice guy act and he's going to turn into a giant a-hole? Is he gonna cheat on me? Am I bothering him when I text or call? I'm afraid to get comfortable or be happy because I know the bottom is going to drop out.

Oh my goodness, are you reading my mind? My bf is so amazing, I poke him sometimes to make sure he's real.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dating anxiety sucks.
    Does he like me too? Does he think I'm as fat as I think I am? Am I good enough? Is this all a nice guy act and he's going to turn into a giant a-hole? Is he gonna cheat on me? Am I bothering him when I text or call? I'm afraid to get comfortable or be happy because I know the bottom is going to drop out.

Oh my goodness, are you reading my mind? My bf is so amazing, I poke him sometimes to make sure he's real.

I'm sure he's more than willing to return the favor.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Dating anxiety sucks.

I'm sure he's more than willing to return the favor.

:D
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

Less motorsheen, more CharlieSheen
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »

Less motorsheen, more CharlieSheen

This is his cousin, Enginesheen

wibb9gkty2rn.jpg
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    The people who lived here before me in this freaking wind tunnel fairly recently build a SUPER sturdy, super heavy, very well constructed fence, then secured it in a concrete patio with bobby pins. Practically. Sitting here praying it doesn't take down my neighbor's roof today with a wind advisory in effect. I have learned a lot about physics trying to keep it up, though, so that's a bonus. The handyman has to get brackets specially made to hold this sucker up. ANXIOUS.
  • loe_loe23
    loe_loe23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The list of things that do not make me anxious is smaller:

This is me. Pretty much EVERYTHING makes me anxious
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Sometimes when I drive to the store, I drive right past it at the last moment. Then I drive around aimlessly for an hour before finally summoning the bravery to go to said store. You ever sit in the parking lot for 20 minutes wondering why you're so afraid of going into Target to buy some bath towels and an E.T. DVD?
    "Just go in the *kitten* store... what the *kitten* is wrong with you" :ohwell:
  • 2Racks
    2Racks Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Having the summer off with my kids, and having to go back to work. Not looking forward to that.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    First dates :/ especially as an adult

Go on one with. E
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have “something to do”, no matter whether it’s a lunch out or a Dr’s appt I get anxious beforehand.
    My anxiety has become a constant companion that I work hard to get rid of.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    tenor.gif?itemid=3717715
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Popcorn kernels...youre gonna break a tooth