I need some clarity on why I am gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250g no matter what you are weighing. 1/3 of a cup is ~85g no matter what you are weighing. A tbsp is 15g no matter what you are weighing. You are correct that it is important to match your foods to what you are eating. My point is that the OP may be converting from volume to mass while it's on the scale. Still less accurate than simply using a database entry with mass (because you never know if the database entry is volume or was converted to mass) but not as horrible as "2 fruits" or "3 eggs".

1/3 of a cup of raw oatmeal weighs the same as 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I can never understand why people use cups instead of simply weighing stuff in grams.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250g no matter what you are weighing. 1/3 of a cup is ~85g no matter what you are weighing. A tbsp is 15g no matter what you are weighing. You are correct that it is important to match your foods to what you are eating. My point is that the OP may be converting from volume to mass while it's on the scale. Still less accurate than simply using a database entry with mass (because you never know if the database entry is volume or was converted to mass) but not as horrible as "2 fruits" or "3 eggs".

I just did a volume to weight conversion of a cup a lead and it was over 2519.66 grams. That converter must be borked.... a cup of milk is 641.39g and a cup of water is close to 250g.. (236.59g).

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight
  • barbie3231
    barbie3231 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything for about a week. It might just be water retention after lifting. In the meantime, what are your macros? How much protein, carbs, fat, fiber are you getting.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

UH, NO!

1 cup water 230g
    sugar 200 g
    flour 130 g
    honey 340 g

Try baking something with those measures. Or don't. *shrug*

I consulted 4 different baking converters. they all agreed within 1-2% on the cups to gram conversion.

HTH, HAND, GFAD
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating fresh vegetables whenever possible, instead of frozen ones. Try lightly steaming them or cooking them just slightly.

Why?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

UH, NO!

1 cup water 230g
    sugar 200 g
    flour 130 g
    honey 340 g

Try baking something with those measures. Or don't. *shrug*

I only bake using gram conversions and it works beautifully.

There is absolutely not a set amount of grams per volume even among some of the same item. One cup of chopped apples is about 120g whereas one cup of sliced apples is 175g.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Meal 1: 1/3 cup of oatmeal with tablespoon of honey and 2 cups of almond milk
    measurements like this are not accurate and may be why you gaining weight

1/3 cup is ~85g

2 cups is 500g

1 tbsp is 15g

2 fruits and 3 eggs OTOH are horrible measures. No indication of what type of fruit even and no indication of egg size whatsoever.

well a serving of oatmeal is 40g(1/2 cup) for most brands(quaker,store brand,etc) I have a few different brands here also(hubby eats quick oats,I eat old fashioned rolled) that would mean 80g for a full cup. so I dont know how 1/3 is 85g. 2 cups of oatmeal would be 160g. a tbsp of honey is 21 grams . I have 2 different brands and they both say the same thing.But that is for US measurements,sounds like canadian measurements are different for the same products? which is why its important to make sure that the foods you are eating match the entries you are using

Sounds like they are using a cooked weight, which would also be inaccurate.

could be possible but I looked up weights in canada and a tbsp is 15ml/g . quaker oats in canada for quick oats a serving is 1/3 cup or 30 g https://www.quakeroats.ca/products/quick-quaker®-oats. quaker quick oats in the us is 1/2 cup or 40g. so serving sizes are smaller in canada. so yeah that would have to be cooked to be 85g.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Meal 1: 1/3 cup of oatmeal with tablespoon of honey and 2 cups of almond milk
    measurements like this are not accurate and may be why you gaining weight

1/3 cup is ~85g

2 cups is 500g

1 tbsp is 15g

2 fruits and 3 eggs OTOH are horrible measures. No indication of what type of fruit even and no indication of egg size whatsoever.

no
    is the cup packed, is it mounded? cooked, uncooked?

i cooked and baked with grams when i had a working food scale. it worked just fine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

if a half cup of oatmeal DRY in the us is 40g (in a cup weighed out or in a bowl) how is 1/3 going to be more than twice the amount? a cup is 80g dry. so a 1/3 of that would be more with the measurements you are describing and not less. a tbsp of honey in the us is 21g not 15. where are you getting those measurements?
  • scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    barbie3231 wrote: »
    I wouldn't change anything for about a week. It might just be water retention after lifting. In the meantime, what are your macros? How much protein, carbs, fat, fiber are you getting.

Carbs: 50% average about 200 g
    Fat: 30%. It close to the limit on those
    Protein: 20% average about half of what I am suppose to eat
    Fiber: I have started reach my fiber limit since eating more vegetables
  • scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the response. This is helping me draw together a game plan with all the different opinions
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2018
    Options
    barbie3231 wrote: »

Carbs: 50% average about 200 g
    Fat: 30%. It close to the limit on those
    Protein: 20% average about half of what I am suppose to eat
    Fiber: I have started reach my fiber limit since eating more vegetables

macros are fine,its still about a deficit though for weight loss. although I would probably try to get as close to my protein amounts as I could but thats me