Being asked for 55 plus senior discount when I am not even 50....

kds10
kds10 Posts: 450 Member
Has this ever happened to you? It ticks me off but in hindsight I wish I said no I dont' quality but as long as you are assuming I want the discount.

Replies

• CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,555 Member
    edited June 2018
    Build a bridge
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    I was asked this about a year ago...shortly after I turned 40. Didn't really put me in the best of moods
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    You gotta sympathize with these people. If they don’t ask, they’re in trouble. If they do, they’re in trouble. There’s a goodwill near me that has a senior citizen discount every Monday or Tuesday. I’ve been offered it before. I’ve seen the way some of these old bats holler when they aren’t asked. It’s lose-lose. I just smiled and said I’d love a discount and I got it. :blush:
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Old people will let you know they’re old you do not need to ask(server 101)
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    5 years isn't that big of a difference. They'd win a prize at the fair.
  • kds10
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    I was asked this about a year ago...shortly after I turned 40. Didn't really put me in the best of moods

yeah it ticks me off for sure....too me why would a cashier take her chances and ask people...why not just put a sign up saying please let us know if you are over 55 as there is a discount. Plus I don't consider someone 55 even a senior..

At this same store about two years ago when I was 47 I was asked this too...she started it by saying I hope I don't offend you but just wondering if you qualify for our 55 plus discount...

I was not expecting to be asked this today so of course I did not have a good comeback. Next time though I want a good comeback and I want the discount.
  • kds10
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You gotta sympathize with these people. If they don’t ask, they’re in trouble. If they do, they’re in trouble. There’s a goodwill near me that has a senior citizen discount every Monday or Tuesday. I’ve been offered it before. I’ve seen the way some of these old bats holler when they aren’t asked. It’s lose-lose. I just smiled and said I’d love a discount and I got it. :blush:

LOL!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member

Just shut up and give me my damn discount, sonny! And no, you can’t have your ball back.
  • CaptainFantastic01

Just shut up and give me my damn discount, sonny! And no, you can’t have your ball back.

Sir I can’t go until you let go, it’s attached
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    kds10 wrote: »
    Has this ever happened to you? It ticks me off but in hindsight I wish I said no I dont' quality but as long as you are assuming I want the discount.

Don't sweat it, it was probably your Members Only jacket that threw em' off.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    It happened to me once, I was 38 or 39 at the time and I was pretty bothered by it. So much so, I actually changed my hairstyle and skincare routine. I wish I was kidding but I am not.

The lady looked 50-ish herself, which for some reason made it worse to me than if she'd been really young.

When I worked in retail and a senior discount was offered they always told us NOT to ask customers but to let them tell us. I only gave the discount w/o being told if the person was CLEARLY 70s plus.
  • kds10
    It happened to me once, I was 38 or 39 at the time and I was pretty bothered by it. So much so, I actually changed my hairstyle and skincare routine. I wish I was kidding but I am not.

The lady looked 50-ish herself, which for some reason made it worse to me than if she'd been really young.

When I worked in retail and a senior discount was offered they always told us NOT to ask customers but to let them tell us. I only gave the discount w/o being told if the person was CLEARLY 70s plus.

LOL...yeah I did something similar when it happened a few years ago...I went out the next day to buy some vitamin a/e wrinkle oil at the health food store and the clerk was like your skin looks pretty good she seemed curious as to why I was buying it, so that helped:)

But I hear you, both times it happened the ladies that asked were older...but then I think maybe it makes them feel better about themselves getting older to ask someone if they are of the age of 55 plus because I have never had the younger ones ask me just the older ones.

I think next time I will say, well seeing as you are assuming that I am yes, I will take the discount. As today is supposedly senior day perhaps I should go back and see if they ask!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Hasn't happened to me but my dad went gray/white early on and in his 40's would be asked if my siblings and I were his grandchildren, senior discounts, etc. It bothered him a lot. He dyed his hair for awhile.
    I had an experience last year where someone really thought I was in my 30's instead of 40's and that was pretty surprising. I have some gray hairs so figured I look my age but I guess that day I seemed younger.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »

wait.

..... did you just admit to shopping at Goodwill ?

please tell me this "Goodwill" is just code-talk for: Nordstrom's Semi-Annual Sales Event
  • huntersvonnegut

Sir I can’t go until you let go, it’s attached

Ooh, sorry. The cats have been enjoying batting it around. Even more than the catnip mice. They do keep knocking in under the frig though. We have to fish it out with a yard stick. All covered in dust bunnies. You have another one you can use, right?
  • 2VORNT2V
    2VORNT2V Posts: 596 Member
    Are you against using coupons as well? Just take the discount and make like a bandit
  • huntersvonnegut
    2VORNT2V wrote: »
    Are you against using coupons as well? Just take the discount and make like a bandit

Oh no. I always hold up the check out line fishing around for expired coupons. Write checks too.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Don't sweat the small stuff.