Strength workouts that keep heartrate up?

Options

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are doing a workout to improve your strength then deliberately seeking to keep your heart rate high is a great way to ruin the effectiveness of your workout.

Decide if the rewards offered are worth compromising your workout to achieve them.
    CV workouts and HR have a definite link, strength and HR - no!

Your training should have definite goals, if that's to improve your strength then do strength training properly which involves suitable rest/recovery between sets and will result in a low average HR.
    If your goal is to earn maximum rewards then do some variety of circuit training and accept your strength progress will be compromised.

Personally if I really wanted these rewards I would earn them through dedicated cardio and I would entirely separately strength train - but train properly.

My health insurance offers a similar deal. My Apple Watch and health app are linked to an app they provide. The benefits in my opinion are pretty awesome. I get around it by lifting weights on seperate days to cardio.
    But that’s me.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Find your nearest 9Round (if there's one nearby). It's mostly body weight exercises, but we do use dumbells, kettle bells & weighted bars also. Today wasn't a great day for me & my average heart rate was 69% for 36 minutes. If I didn't leave my HRM on so long trying to milk more calories out of my workouts, my average HR would be higher.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    walking lunges get my heartrate up. squat to shoulder press also gets my heartrate up. in between sets do something like jump rope, burpees (argh), mountain climbers, box jumps, or even squat jumps :-)
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I do Super Sets where you go from one exercise to the next with no rest, then rest only 2 minutes before starting over. I also love doing circuit training with weights. I do 3 reps of each exercise (usually 8-10 different exercises) without stopping for 5 rounds, then take a 2 minute break. Then I do 3 rounds and another 2 minutes followed by the last 2 rounds.

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

***After 5 sets, rest for 2 minutes***

***Do 3 sets of the above***

***After 3 sets, rest for 2 minutes***

***Do 2 sets of the above***

This way, I get 30 total reps but instead of doing 3x10, I am doing 10x3 and can actually do heavier weights each time. I move from one exercise to the next, to the next, etc. so I get a good sweat on. Also, once I get in better shape, I add cardio like jumprope at the end of each set, so would do jumprope for 30 seconds or 60 seconds before starting over at the beginning.

This is just a rough example, but you get the idea :)
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can make about any workout increase HR through multiple means. Multi-joint/total body lifts are going to give you a good bang for you buck. More muscles activated in a single movement mean greater amounts of blood flow to the activated muscles (which requires a higher HR). Doing fast movements like Kettlebell swings, or Olympic lifting will also get you up there. Its going to be more difficult to go heavy and still maintain a higher HR simply because heavier lifts often require (its recommended) longer recovery time between sets, at least if the goal is strength gains. You could also try moving quickly from lift to lift with no rest in between like a circuit. An EMOM, as you mention, is a good option, switching back and forth from push to pull exercises or a strength exercise and a cardio exercise with no rest in between will definitely get your heart rate up there. I would recommend a push pull style circuit so that while one muscle group is working the other muscle group is resting, this way you are not constantly taxing the same muscle groups. A good example of this would be a pull up/thruster EMOM. A proper strength or Olympic lifting routine will give you short spikes in HR followed by longer 3-5min. rest periods which is not what you want (from the sound of things) the goal of these routines is complete, or near complete recovery between sets so HR will be quite low for the majority of the workout. I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have more questions or want more details.

I do agree that Health Insurers a great a ruining a good workout, I have increased rates due to my high BMI even though my %bodyfat is like 11-12%. Unfortunately the health benefits of cardio (at least in terms of insurance dollars) are far better documented than that of strength training, and you will likely have a difficult time convincing your insurer otherwise (I used to work in health insurance). I know some insurers provide nominal discounts for documented physical activity, but its typically not enough to inspire change in the majority of their clientele. If it were up to me, personal training and/or gym memberships would be covered by insurance. Although it would complicate the fitness industry dramatically (I will leave it up to someone smarter than me to figure out the details ;) ). If anyone on here is in politics they should push for this, it would save all of us a lot of money!

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    If you take a movement, like barbell back squats, and train for a cardio respiratory adaptation, you have not trained for strength, but for cardio. All you’ve done is conditioning at this point and not get stronger.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Crossfit workouts do exactly that.

You can find new ones everyday or search older ones here:

https://www.crossfit.com/workout/
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Do some complexes with barbells- Cosgrove is good
  • FluffBGone1975
    FluffBGone1975 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I recommend a Kettlebell HIIT workout with lots of swing intervals. That really gets my heart rate up!
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the replies. A lot of constructive criticism in there.

I *do* accept that these workouts won't be the very best strength training, and so, to a degree, my question is, to an extent - "What is the best strength training I can do whilst maintaining a certain %max heartrate?"

I'd be very grateful for any science-based info about the risk of ruining strength training with a high heart rate.

By way of update, for anyone else looking for ideas on the same theme, yesterday I largely ended up doing a series of couplets where I alternated between a compound strength training exercise, and an exercise that was more suited to upping the heart rate (eg, bent dumbell rows and ab bicycles).

To those insisting on a complete split between cardio and strength training, can you post what workouts you do to train your glycolytic system?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Is your healthcare through Humana? Are you doing Go365?
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »

I *do* accept that these workouts won't be the very best strength training, and so, to a degree, my question is, to an extent - "What is the best strength training I can do whilst maintaining a certain %max heartrate?"

I'd be very grateful for any science-based info about the risk of ruining strength training with a high heart rate.

By way of update, for anyone else looking for ideas on the same theme, yesterday I largely ended up doing a series of couplets where I alternated between a compound strength training exercise, and an exercise that was more suited to upping the heart rate (eg, bent dumbell rows and ab bicycles).

To those insisting on a complete split between cardio and strength training, can you post what workouts you do to train your glycolytic system?

There's nothing wrong with doing what you are suggesting by combining cardio and weights. You don't have to be a either weightlifter or a hamster on a cardio machine. Athletes combine mobility training, with cardio, plyometrics and strength. Its why they more "athletic" than body builders and power lifters. Fitness doesn't have to be just about building muscles and cutting fat. It can be about improving your skill set as well. As far as weightlifting routines to keep your heart rate up. I did the Body Beast routine a while back and that one was intense. A lot of pyramids with minimal rest, my heart was always running hot, and yes it was effective for building muscle. Its more of body builder routine than a strength builder. I'm not 100% certain what your exact goal is, do you want to build strength or do you want to build muscle? The latter is easier to find routines that will keep your hrm up. The former requires heavy weight low reps and lots of rest. I would look for Body builder and hypertrophy type training to accomplish what your OP is after.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    I just take less time between sets. say its chest and shoulders day. Do a set of X reps of chest press, then right over to military press for x reps, back to chest press and do that until the sets and reps are complete. then into an ab set, into the next chest / shoulder sets and reps. Or however you have your routine setup. Keep the intesity up
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

For me - your picture may have thrown off that you are at a very good level of lifting.
    Perhaps that's not you, perhaps that is inspiration photo from prior fitness level, ect.

It's not that you ruin your strength training with a high heart rate.
    It's that to maintain a constant higher HR like that requires cardio, and attempting to focus on that will by exclusion cause any strength training to not be the focus.

So if you are already very strong doing say SL5x5, if you attempt several of the suggestions during the rests merely to keep the HR up high enough, you will have to lower the weight - won't take long to discover that.

If you are lowering the weight and keeping at this routine, you will lose strength, body doesn't maintain what isn't needed and used.
    You will lower your strength to a new lower level.

Which for certain goals and desires is just fine.

The best with the given restriction - P90X or similar - at least they're attempting to be progressive on the strength training.

When I was at gym doing my workouts - I'd lift first - do cardio 2nd. Lifting rest days was only cardio, usually using different muscles.
    So upper/lower split routine.
    Say Mon after upper lifting, hit pool for 30-60 min. Next day Tue would be an easy jog (because leg day was day after).
    Wed would be lower lifting, then do hill sprints from the gym for 60 min. Next day Thu would be swimming.
    Fri rest. Sat/Sun split the same.
    (whole thing thrown off when biking season began).
    That routine easily gave 6 days a week with 30 min cardio meeting your requirement, and progressive lifting as focus. Cardio was never so much (even on rest days) to ruin a good lifting session. (well, until biking started).

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I split my workouts into three disciplines:

Morning dailies: Push Ups - 4 sets of 50, Sit Ups - 4 sets of 50, Pull Ups - 4 sets of 12, mixing flutter kicks, planks, crunches, stretching, jumping jacks, vaults, box jumps, etc.

Stronglifts 5x5 - M, W, F

Run/Bike/Swim - 5 days/week - 30 mins minimum and varying depending on race cycles.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest good workout formats that will keep my heart rate above 70%max for 30 mins?
    I find compound exercises good for that. Squat press with dumbbells so you are working both small and large muscles... Also, things like clean and press with bar bell.

30 Day shred may do it too. Because her sets are generally using weights and/or cardio with only a 30 sec rest between sets

• Becky6621
    Becky6621 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love to lift, I would rather lift than do cardio any day. In fact for me doing 30 minutes of cardio is pure torture as compared to an hour of lifting. If you are like me here are 3 things I have done which help me keep my heart rate up.

1) During my "rest" periods between lifts do something cardio with the area I am not lifting that day. For example, if doing back and bi's walk/jog in place or do side steps during rest periods to get and keep my heart rate up. Be creative on what I do between sets and make if fun.

2) Don't rest, when doing back and bi's alternate directly between doing a back set and use my "rest" time to do the other body part. For example, do lat pull downs, then move directly to a bicep circle.

3) When you feel like a real challenge, do burpees during your rest periods, just watch your form here. Burpees can really tax you and if you do them with bad from you can hurt yourself.

• lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting a heavy weight (I don't mean POWER lifting but not 5lb wts...), and I'm doing lower body ST? I can max out easily. Maybe I'm just not that fit but I'm thinking for 30 mins, I personally could easily do lower body work with weights and no problem.

I saw that somebody said kettlebells and those are awesome, too, for a lighter weight (like 25lb) and do whole body work? It'd definitely do it.
  • calderstrake
    calderstrake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do a Les Mills Bodypump class. They use a barbell with weights to music. It is fun and a change of pace. The barbell (Smartbell) is designed to for quick removal and placing of weight plates. You can determine how much weight you want to lift. It is usually an hour long class and is hosted in quite a few fitness centers/gyms here in the USA and around the world. I know that the Powerhouse Gyms host them here.
    Egger29 wrote: »
    Superset Opposite muscle groups with no rest. (Chest/Back, Quads/Hamstrings, Biceps/Triceps, Isolated Shoulder Front, Side, Back).

The opposing muscles rest and stretch while you to the opposite movement and you'll get a killer workout. Plus, you can do twice as much work in the same time as sitting between sets and phone scrolling.

In my workout yesterday, I went between Bench Press and Lat Pull while two other people shared the same equipment so there was no time for rest. By the time I was done 3 sets each I was completely winded like I'd been running.

Circuit style workouts work well too and most gyms have machines set up in a series specifically for that. Hard to do if it's busy though as the ideal is NOT to rest at all between machines and go around from one to the next without stopping.

Similarly, if you're stuck with a single apparatus, you can do things in between sets on the floor: Crunches, Planks, Burpees...all good. Lots of ideas for you!

Agree with these two. I like supersets in groups of two or three that target the same area. For example hack squat, sissy squat and Bulgarian squat all in a circuit. If you give yourself one minute on each exercise and only rest 30-45 seconds between each circuit, I'm pretty sure your HR will stay in the target range.